Author Topic: [Pathfinder] Jade Incantatrix Mage  (Read 3639 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
[Pathfinder] Jade Incantatrix Mage
« on: February 02, 2010, 12:12:04 AM »
Goal
Be a party-friendly JPM who disables foes from range and can hold his own in melee after extensive buffing.  One of my character's themes is paranoia.  He has backup identities and wants to keep even his party guessing, though he's more mastermind (INT) than face man (CHA).

This character uses a greatsword as his primary melee weapon.  He wishes to be primarily a Wizard who casts things, not a melee giant like Hood, though he and I tire of simply supporting our allies and wish to do lots of damage.

Our Artificer made us each whistles to cast summon nature's ally III at CL5.  He'll continue to upgrade them as we go along.  Being a summoner in a group full of summoners makes me itch to kill things myself.

Setup
The game has begun.  I'm stuck with my classes, race, and stats.  I want to play a Jade Phoenix Mage specifically and prefer a Swordsage entry for the plethora of maneuvers I get at Swordsage1.  My maneuvers are for rounds when spells aren't worth casting, or to up my saves.

I'm unsure how long the campaign will last.  Power now is probably better than possible power later.

Party
-Human Cleric4/Crusader1 - Going Ruby Knight Vindicator.  He's our healer and one of our tanks.  He prefers a halberd.
-Human Druid6 - He enjoys summoning, crowd control, and a bit of booming.  Relies on his pet wolf for tanking and melee.  Has yet to Wild Shape in combat.
-Human Artificer5/Effigy Master1 - The group's mad genius and future Golemficer.  He uses a weaker version of the Tome of Secrets Artificer, since ToS has a ridiculously uber Artificer.

Notes
-Pathfinder SRD (d20PFSRD.com)
-We don't use alignments.  Too many arguments.
-We use partial BAB.
-Pathfinder skills have a max rank of your hit dice.  Class skills get a one-time +3 bonus.  For compatibility purposes, my DM ruled most skill rank requirements are 3 less.  Skill tricks cost 1 point but require the same # of ranks.
-Pathfinder feats come at every odd level, not L1 and every third.
-We use Pathfinder's feats/spells/etc. when applicable and unupdated 3.5/3.0 material.  All material is OK pending DM approval.
-Metamagic feats are usable spontaneously and for free 1/day per 5HD of the caster, minimum once.
-Pathfinder has no Concentration skill.  My DM ruled Concentration checks are d20 + my HD + my INT modifier.
-In Pathfinder, I can cast from opposed schools but doing so requires 2 spell slots.
-Favored Class in Pathfinder means 1 extra HP or skill point every level.  I chose the extra HP at each Wizard level.

House Ruled Maneuvers and Stances
[spoiler]-Devoted Alacrity - Devoted Spirit7 (Boost) (Crusader7), Requires Two Devoted Spirit maneuvers
As a swift action, you can initiate a maneuver or perform an extraordinary action requiring a standard or move action.  If you use a maneuver with Devoted Alacrity, that maneuver and Devoted Alacrity are expended.  If you only attack or don't use another maneuver, only Devoted Alacrity is expended.  Actions that become swift actions via this maneuver still provoke attacks of opportunity as normal, as if the action weren't swift.
   You could use Devoted Alacrity to attack once as a swift action then make a full attack.  You could move as a swift action and then cast a standard action spell then move again.
   Finally, for purposes of Devoted Alacrity, you can't use feats such as Spring Attack or Weapon Focus to turn non-extraordinary abilities into extraordinary abilities unless the ability explicity turns something non-extraordinary into something extraordinary.
   A creature who flies as a supernatural ability (like a dracolich) could use Spring Attack to move, attack, then move but it couldn't use Devoted Alacrity to move again.  Instead, it could move, attack once from Spring Attack, attack once from Devoted Alacrity, and complete its move from Spring Attack.

-White Raven Command - White Raven8 (Crusader8, Warblade8), Requires Three White Raven maneuvers
Initiation Action: 1 swift action, Range: 30', Target: 1 ally

Choose an ally within range.  You give him an extra turn immediately after your turn.  His normal initiative count doesn't change.
   You two must be able to see or hear each other, and must know where each other's location.
   A creature can be affected by White Raven Command only once per round from any source.

-White Raven Tactics - White Raven3 (Crusader3, Warblade3), Requires One White Raven maneuver
Initiation Action: 1 swift action, Range: 30', Target: 1 ally

Choose an ally within range.  You can give him part of your turn you haven't taken - a move, standard, or full-round action.  He then takes this extra turn immediately after your turn.  His normal initiative count doesn't change.
   You two must be able to see or hear each other, and must know where each other's location.  You don't need line of effect to your ally.
   A creature can be affected by White Raven Tactics only once per round from any source.[/spoiler]

House Ruled Feats
[spoiler]-Augment Mending [Healing]
   When you successfully use the Heal skill on someone or you restore hit points to a creature or an object, you heal an extra 4 HP.  If you restore HP via a spell, power, or similar effect, you instead restore 5 extra HP per spell level of the effect.  Level 0 spells and effects restore an extra 4 HP.  Living constructs and targets that normally get healed less or more from healing instead get exactly this amount of HP granted by this feat.
   Items you use don't benefit from this feat.
   For example, if you successfully use the Heal skill to stabilize a dying creature, that creature is stabilized and gains 4 HP.  If you use cure minor wounds on a typical human or inflict minor wounds on a typical undead, that creature is healed 5 HP instead of 1.  If you use repair light damage at caster level 1 on a construct, that construct is healed d8+5 HP instead of d8+1.  If instead you used a wand of cure light wounds at caster level 1 against a typical human, you'd heal d8+1 instead of d8+5.
   Even Martial Adepts can benefit from this feat.  With Augment Mending, if you used Strike of Righteous Vitality (Devoted Spirit9) in Martial Spirit stance (Devoted Spirit1), you would heal the target 186 HP from the level 9 strike and 6 HP from the level 1 stance, even though Strike of Righteous Vitality mimics a heal, which is normally not a level 9 spell.  Anyone who was healed by Aura of Triumph (Devoted Spirit6) would heal 28 HP instead of 4 each time an you or ally in range hit a foe.
   If you use an ability that heals HP over time, the extra HP granted by this feat are healed immediately but healing over time is done as normal.  If you cast mass lesser vigor, each target is healed 13 HP the first round and 1 HP each round thereafter.
   This feat replaces the granted power of the Healing Domain.

-Additional Melee Damage Source [Fighter]
   Each time you take this feat, pick an ability score (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, or CHA).  If you could normally add your STR modifier to melee damage with this weapon or effect (or another ability modifier, such as from the Melee Training feat), add this ability score's modifier (minimum +0) to your damage made with melee attacks.  This feat won't allow you to add the same ability modifier to damage more than once.
   For example, a human Fighter with 16 STR, 16 CON, and Additional Melee Damage Source (CON) who wielded a longsword in 2 hands would do d8+7 damage; +4 damage from STR and +3 damage from CON.
   Alternatively, a human Fighter with 6 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, Additional Melee Damage Source (DEX) and Additional Melee Damage Source (CON) who wielded a greatsword 2-handed would do d8+3 damage; -2 damage from STR, +2 from DEX, and +3 from CON.

-Improved Practiced Spellcaster [Wizard]
   Each time you take this feat, pick a class that grants spellcasting ability, such as Paladin or Wizard.  You need not have taken this class, but you'll only benefit after you've taken this class.  Your caster level in this class increases by 4, not to exceed your HD.  This caster level bonus only applies to caster level dependent effects, such as spell duration.
   You get +1 more to your caster level in your chosen class, not to exceed your HD.  This caster level bonus also applies to spells known and spells per day.
   For example, a Crusader4/Cleric1/Ruby Knight Vindicator1 with this feat has a Cleric caster level of 6 (1 Cleric + 5 feat) and is able to cast spells as a Cleric2 (Cleric1 + this feat).
   For example, a Wizard5 wouldn't immediately benefit from this feat since his Wizard caster level equals his hit dice.  If he went Wizard5/Warblade1, he would have a caster level of 6 (5 Cleric + 1 feat) and would have spells known and per day as a Wizard6 (Wizard5 + this feat).

-Especially Swift [Fighter, Wizard]
   Each round, you may take 1 additional swift or immediate action.  You may take 1 more swift or immediate action per round for every 8 HD you have.

-Melee Training [Fighter]
   Pick an ability score (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, or CHA).  For the purpose of determining melee accuracy, you may use this ability score instead of your normal ability, usually STR.
   Pick the same or another ability score.  For the purpose of determining melee damage you may use this ability score instead of your normal ability, usually STR.  You must be able to add an ability modifier to damage, such as from swinging a sword or punching someone's eye out.  Wielding a weapon in more than 1 hand does extra damage as if you had the same amount of STR.  Effects like shocking grasp that don't normally add an ability modifier to damage won't benefit from this aspect of Melee Training.
   Pick the same or another ability score.  For the purpose of determining melee touch accuracy, you may use this ability score instead of your normal ability, usually STR.
   For example, an elf Wizard with Melee Training would be able to swing his longsword using his INT modifier instead of his STR modifier, add his INT bonus to damage with his longsword instead of STR, and use his INT modifier instead of his STR for melee touch attacks, such as shocking grasp.  Alternatively, he could instead use his CON modifier for normal melee accuracy, his DEX modifier for melee bonus damage, and his INT modifier for melee touch accuracy.
   For another example, an elf Wizard with 18 INT who wields a longsword in 2 hands would normally deal d8+6 damage.  If he wielded a separate longsword in each of his 2 hands, and he didn't have Two-Weapon Expertise (new feat; see below), not only would his accuracy penalties be tremendous, he would add only half his INT bonus to damage (d8+2) with off hand attacks.
   You may take this feat more than once.  If you do so, pick an additional ability score for each category.  You may use any of these scores to determine your melee accuracy, melee damage, and melee touch accuracy.
   Melee Training counts as Weapon Finesse for the purpose of meeting prerequisites, regardless of the ability scores used.

-Practiced Initiator [Fighter]
   Your initiator level for all classes equals your hit dice instead of half your hit dice + your levels in that class.[/spoiler]

Build
Elf ("Gray Elf") Conjurer4/Unarmed Swordsage1/Conjurer+1/Incantatrix4/Jade Phoenix Mage4/Incantatrix+2/Jade Phoenix Mage+1/Incantatrix+3

Stats
10 STR (8 base)
18 DEX (16 base)
14 CON (12 base)
23 INT (21 base)
10 WIS
10 CHA

A normal gish has a higher STR.  I'm stuck with these stats.  Melee Training: INT and Additional Damage Source: INT let me be a smart, lethal arcane warrior.

Feats, Class Features, Flaws, and Traits
1:  [Abrupt Jaunt], [Opposed Schools: Enchantment & Necromancy]
1:  [Improved Initiative - Trade for Scribe Scroll], Improved Practiced Spellcaster, Practiced Initiator, Practiced Spellcaster
3:  Extend Spell, [Iron Will from Otyugh Hole]
5:  Persistent Spell, [Quick to Act: +1 Init], [Improved Unarmed Strike], [Weapon Focus: Stone Dragon]
6:  [Melee Training: INT]
7:  [Opposed School: Evocation], @METAMAGIC FEAT@
8:  [Cooperative Metamagic]
9:  Additional Melee Damage Source: INT, [*Metamagic Effect!*]
10: @METAMAGIC FEAT@
11: [Arcane Wrath], Augment Mending OR Martial Study: Moment of Alacrity
13: #FEAT#
14: [Empowering Strike]
15: [Metamagic Spell Trigger], #FEAT#
16: [Seize Concentration]
17: #FEAT#
18: [Instant Metamagic 1/day], @METAMAGIC FEAT@
19: [Snatch Spell], #FEAT#
20: [Instant Metamagic 2/day]

#FEAT# Pool
-Adaptive Style
-Arcane Strike
-Augment Mending
-Especially Swift (Homebrew)
-Extra Readied Maneuver
-Martial Stance: Stance of Alacrity
-Martial Study: Moment of Alacrity
-Martial Study: Shadow Blink
-Martial Study: Time Stands Still

@METAMAGIC FEAT@ Pool
-Chain Spell
-Quicken Spell
-Reach Spell
-Sculpt Spell

Stances
S01/L05     Flame's Blessing (DW53)
J02/L11     Mystic Phoenix Stance (JPM)
J05/L17     Immortal Fortitude (DS59)

Maneuvers - Using Items to Fill Prereqs
S01/L05     Action Before Thought (DM62)
                Burning Brand (DW52)
                Emerald Razor (DM63)
                Moment of Perfect Mind (DM64)
                Mind Over Body (DM64)
                Shadow Jaunt (SH79)
J01/L11     Rallying Strike (DS60) [Get 2 prereq items!]
J03/L13     Devoted Alacrity (DS Homebrew) [Get 1 more prereq item!]
J05/L17     Strike of Righteous Vitality (DS60-61)

Maneuvers from Items
[spoiler]Desert Wind
-Flashing Sun [L2, R1, 3K] (DW54)
-Inferno Blade [L7, 45K] (DW54): Swift, +3d6 fire dam +1/IL
-Inferno Blast [L9, R5, 45K] (DW55): 1rnd, 60' radius of 100 fire dam, Ref half
-Zephyr Dance [L3, R1, 3K] (DW57): IMM, +

Devoted Spirit
-{Aura of Perfect Order} [L6, R2, 15K] (DS57): Swift, 1/round declare a d20 roll as 11
-Crusader's Strike [L1, 3K]
-Divine Surge [L4, R1, 15K] (DS58): Std, +8d6 dam
-Foehammer [L2, 3K] (DS59)

Diamond Mind
-Moment of Alacrity [L6, R2, 15K] (DM64): Swift, +20 init starting next round
-{Stance of Alacrity} [L8, R3, 45K] (DM65): Swift, 1 counter/round is free action
-Time Stands Still [L9, R4, 45K]

Shadow Hand
-Shadow Blink [L7, 45K]: Move, teleport 50', must have line of sight AND line of effect
-Shadow Stride [L5, 15K]: Swift, teleport 50', must have line of sight AND line of effect

Tiger Claw
-Dancing Mongoose [L5, R2, 15K] (TC86): Swift, +1 attack per weapon this round
-Rabid Wolf Strike [L2, 3K] (TC88): Std, +2d6 dam, -4 AC for 1 turn
-Raging Mongoose [L8, R3, 45K] (TC89): Swift, +2 attacks per weapon this round
-Sudden Leap [L1, R1, 3K] (TC89): Swift, Jump as swift action!
-Wolf Fang Strike [L1, 3K] (TC90): Std, Attack once with 2 weapons, -2 accuracy/swing

White Raven
-Clarion Call [L7, R3, 45K] (WR91): Swift, melee-kill foe, allies in 60' MvAct/melee atk
-Leading the Attack [L1, 3K] (WR91): Std, allies get +4 accuracy vs foe for 1 round
-White Raven Command [L8, R3, 45K] (WR Homebrew): Swift, Ally in 10' gets turn post-me
-White Raven Hammer [L8, R3, 45K] (WR94): Std, +6d6 dam, auto-stun target for 1 round
-White Raven Strike [L4, R1, 15K] (WR94): Std, +4d6 dam, foe flat-foot 'til his next turn
-White Raven Tactics [L3, R1, 3K] (WR Homebrew): Swift, Ally in 10' gets rest of my turn
[/spoiler]

Spiffy Desert Wind, Devoted Spirit, and Diamond Mind Maneuvers
[spoiler]Desert Wind Maneuvers
[2]
Flashing Sun [1]: 1rnd, +1 melee attack, -2 accuracy on all attacks this round

[3]
Zephyr Dance? [1]: IMM, +4 Dodge AC after being hit

[4]
Searing Charge [1]: 1rnd, Fly (perfect) and do +5d6 fire dam

[5]
Leaping Flame [2]: IMM, Teleport up to 100' next to a foe who physically hit me

[7]
Salamander Charge [3]: 1rnd, Charge crookedly and leave flaming wake; 3d6 to 6d6 fire dam

[9]
Inferno Blast [5]: 1rnd, 100 fire dam in 60' radius

Devoted Spirit Maneuvers and {Stances}
[1]
Crusader's Strike: Std, Heal ally in 10' for d6+IL (max +5)

[2]
Foehammer: Std, +2d6 melee damage, auto-breach DR

[3]
Revitalizing Strike [1]: Std, Heal 3d6+IL (max +10) to 1 ally in 10'

[4]
Divine Surge [1]: Std, +8d6 melee dam

[6]
{Aura of Perfect Order] [2]: Swift, 1/round declare a d20 roll as 11
Rallying Strike [2]: Std, Heal 3d6+IL (max +15) to all allies in 30'

[7]
Devoted Alacrity [2]: 1rnd, Charge crookedly and leave flaming wake; 3d6 to 6d6 fire dam

[8]
{Immortal Fortitude} [3]: Swift, Fort save vs negative HP total.  Restance after 3 uses.

[9]
Strike of Righteous Vitality [3]: Std, Ally in 10' gets heal (CL=my char level)

Diamond Mind Maneuvers and {Stances}
[1]
Moment of Perfect Mind: IMM, Concentrate out of a Will save, 1s won't autofail

[2]
Action Before Thought: IMM, Concentrate out of a Reflex save, 1s won't autofail
Emerald Razor [1]: Swift, Make 1 melee touch attack

[3]
Mind Over Body [3]: IMM, Concentrate out of a Fortitude save, 1s won't autofail

[4]
Bounding Assault [2]: 1rnd, Twisted charge; +4 accuracy/-2 AC

[5]
Disrupting Blow [2]: Std, Melee attack dazes foe 1 round - TAKE ONLY IF INT-BASED!
{Hearing the Air} [2]: Swift, 30' blindsense, +5 insight Listen

[6]
Moment of Alacrity [2]: Swift, +20 init starting next round

[8]
{Stance of Alacrity] [3]: Swift, 1 (Counter) per round is a free action

[9]
Time Stands Still [4]: 1rnd, Two consecutive full attacks.  Think Omnislash.[/spoiler]

Questions
1: What metamagic feats are most viable?  I can already Persist, but Chain, Quicken, and Sculpt are prime candidates.
2: From a mechanical standpoint, how can I cheaply disguise myself as an elf if I go Dragonborn?
3: What maneuvers and stances work especially well in this case?
4: I can cast heroics, but assuming I can get only 1 Fighter feat from heroics at a time, what gishy feats work especially well?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:20:57 AM by Endarire »
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: [Pathfinder] Jade Incantatrix Mage
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 12:45:56 AM »
Well you're missing Power Attack, that's the biggest thing I see.

Don't get Chain Spell. Buy a metamagic rod of it and get Reach from a Metamagic Storm(CA or CM...). The synergy between the two spells is preposterous.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:13:11 AM »
Pathfinder NERFED Power Attack.  Besides, unless I boost my STR, I don't qualify.  Will clarify that in OP.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
I updated the OP's build.  Losing another CL midway through JPM really hurts, especially when L9 spells are so close.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:39:45 PM by Endarire »

Speaking of which:

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 08:06:58 PM »
Why are you putting Wizard at level 1 instead of Swordsage? You should get more HP and skill points from starting Swordsage.

PhaedrusXY

• Organ Grinder
  • Advanced Spambot
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »
Why are you putting Wizard at level 1 instead of Swordsage? You should get more HP and skill points from starting Swordsage.
So he can start out with 2nd level manuvers, instead of all 1st levels, I'm sure.
[spoiler]
A couple of water benders, a dike, a flaming arrow, and a few barrels of blasting jelly?

Sounds like the makings of a gay porn film.
...thanks
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 08:21:22 PM »
So he can start out with 2nd level manuvers, instead of all 1st levels, I'm sure.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. Very well, carry on then.