Author Topic: The Half-Dwarf?  (Read 12378 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
The Half-Dwarf?
« on: January 31, 2010, 07:00:30 PM »
So I was talking to one of the DMs, and he said that the player who died last session has finally come up with a new character. However, because of where we are an elf or half-elf would suffice, or a dwarf or half-dwarf. The problem is there are no half-dwarves. He said he found one online, and it's what we're going to use. Personally I'd never use it, but that's just me. It's just so weak by comparison to any of the other half breeds.

Half-Dwarf Racial Traits

* Medium-size: As Medium-size creatures, Half-Dwarf have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * A Half-Dwarf has a base speed of 30.
    * Darkvision: Half-Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal site. Half-Dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
    * +2 Bonus on Craft checks. This bonus must be applied to a single Craft skill, chosen at 1st level. Half-Dwarves share their dwarven parents' love of crafting, but their human heritage allows them to craft beyond stone or metal.
    * Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven.
    * Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Half-Dwarf suffers an XP penalty, his highest-level class does not count.

As you can see, it's about as good as the half-orc. Personally I think both races need updating, but for the half-dwarf I would at least add:
Dwarf Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-dwarf is considered an dwarf.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Re: The Half-Dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
Point out that humans are totally better.

-Darkvision can be gotten from a feat, but nobody bothers because it's a really weak feat.
-Four additional skill points at first level is better than +2 to a craft check.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »
Point out that humans are totally better.

-Darkvision can be gotten from a feat, but nobody bothers because it's a really weak feat.
-Four additional skill points at first level is better than +2 to a craft check.
Oh they totally are, but most of the things we fight are favored against them. That and genasi. That's how he died in the first place.

I'm just trying to figure out why anyone would want to purposely take the half-dwarf of half-orc.

After talking to the DM, he's updating the half-dwarf somewhat. They get +1 against poison and spell-like abilities, and Stability +2 instead of +4. He found the 4th edition version, but doesn't want to give half-dwarves the low-light vision instead of the darkvision.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:41:11 PM »
+1 against both spells and spell-like abilities, right?  
In that case, it's actually not strictly worse than humans as a race.  Not one I'd ever pick (especially considering the existence of chaonds), but at least humans can't be better at them in everything out of the box.

Here's what my half-dwarf would look something like (starting from a dwarf base and trading a lot of dwarven stuff [like stonecunning] for a feat):

*Bonus feat at first level
*Dwarven-style 20' move speed w/out armor difficulties
*+1 hp/level
*-2 cha
*Dwarf Blood
*Choice of one of: [poison resistance; giant dodge; bonus to appraise and craft; darkvision; and weapon familiarity]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:57:17 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 07:44:27 PM »
IIRC isn't the Mul from Dark Sun technically a half-dwarf?  I'm sure that's statted for 3.5 somewhere.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 07:52:08 PM »

:love :love :love

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »
+1 against both spells and spell-like abilities, right? 

(especially considering the existence of chaonds)
I'll have to ask again, but right now I'll say no.

And chaonds don't exist in his campaign. But then again neither do dragons, or most other races. It's 50% humans, and the rest all the other base races (including the half dwarves he found), orcs and half-orcs. There's also a few genasi, but they're very rare (even though we're fighting them every other session). The main reason for this is because humans are essentially evil, and they commit mass genocide on everything that's not them. At least, they did. It's now hundreds of years later and humans are more tolerant to other races, especially fey. However, we're at war with them because they're mighty pissed at us. Go ignorant humans.  :p

Wow, where's that pic from?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
IIRC isn't the Mul from Dark Sun technically a half-dwarf?  I'm sure that's statted for 3.5 somewhere.

It is.  Mul's are half-dwarf/half-humans.  They are statted out in the book here, which is as official as it really gets.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Ian Frost

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 08:37:39 PM »
If I'm not mistaken there are half dwarves in a Dragonlance book, I'll see if I can find them

Found 'em; Dragonlance races of ansalon page 45
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:39:14 PM by Ian Frost »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 08:39:21 PM »
Wow, where's that pic from?

I don't know  :lol But I've been told it's a Half-Dwarf.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:01:35 PM »
http://yfrog.com/ehroa47px

Also, dat image...

addendum: -8 GMT, 31-01-2010, 16:17,
Nanshork used Citation. It's not very effective...
Ian Frost used Citation. It's super-effective! It's a critical hit.
[After the battle]
Nanshork has gained a new level! Nanshork wants to learn a new move, which move should he forget?
1 2 3 ... POOF! Nanshork has lost Credibility.

addendum 2: -8 GMT, 31-01-2010, 16:22, although, Races of Ansalon is obscure. I found two new awesome Gnome races for my ScM handbook in there! Whisper Gnome still tops, but Half-Gnome is a close second with its INT boost and skill racial traits (screw "Flexible Mind" and retraining!).

Reference(s):
Dragonlance - Races of Ansalon
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Dat_Ass
Gamefreaks - Pokémon
http://img521.imageshack.us/g/roa47.png/ Wild and Half-Gnomes
My sig - tinyurl - my ScM handbook
http://yfrog.com/jnros94n95whgnomepx Whisper Gnome
http://yfrog.com/1gd326p80featsp Flexible Mind
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:28:13 PM by NiteCyper »
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the links. I'll keep that in mind for later. I was just about to say that I found the 4e version. Seems they lost their darkvision in this "update". Would it be fair to say that darkvision 30 ft AND low-light vision would be balanced against a straight 60 ft of darkvision? Also with the +2 bonus that this half-dwarf gets, for Pathfinder updates, should they just get the +2 to any one Ability Score like the Half-Orc and Half-Elf get? And just because the others have it, I'll add "Dwarven Blood".

The Half-Dwarf has the following racial traits. (4th edition)
Ability Scores: +2 Constitution, +2 to any one Ability Score
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Dwarven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Endurance
Bonus Skill: Gain training in one additional class skill at first level.
Dwarven Resilience: You can use your second wind as a minor action instead of a standard action.
Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would normally be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.
Dual Heritage: You can take feats that have either Dwarf or Human as a prerequisite (as well as those specifically for half-dwarves if any are created), as long as you meet any other requirements.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:16:31 PM by kevin_video »