Author Topic: Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil Errata  (Read 17164 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil Errata
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »
Going on the basis that Transdimensional Spell will bypass the Indigo Veil
When I mentioned it I was only guessing, check the feat to make sure it works.

Anyone else find it odd Icarus's account is made today, for the sole reason of claiming to have emailed Richard Baker and the answer is you are immune to all spells cast at you, it is balanced though as it comes late in the game and it requires a few feats!
At least IotSfV doesn't give you a familiar right?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:33:48 PM »
Anyone else find it odd that Nitecyper suddenly reappeared with a much greater posting frequency and a dramatic shift in style?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Icarus

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
Anyone else find it odd Icarus's account is made today, for the sole reason of claiming to have emailed Richard Baker and the answer is you are immune to all spells cast at you, it is balanced though as it comes late in the game and it requires a few feats!

Would you rather me introduce myself, build up some posts, then offer some insight on a class I regularly play? I'm not here to court anyone, I saw an opportunity to share some knowledge I got from as far up the ladder as is probably possible and I took it; so don't look at it suspiciously just because its my first post. I'm not here to advance an agenda. Thanks.

Yes its on the strong side, and I'm not necessarily saying its balanced; but its the DM's job just as much as it is the player's to adapt to challenges thrown at them. All a DM needs to do is read the canceling effects on the Prismatic Wall table to see what negates the veils. An enemy NPC that first encounters an Initiate may not know what the hell is going on when a green shield pops up over a PC, but a quick teleport to escape (as villans often do) and some knowledge: arcana checks later; "Oh! That's the same thing as the green effect of a Prismatic Wall! I need to make sure to have passwall prepared the next time I fight him!" Heck, a high enough Spellcraft check on the spot could give him the magical qualities of an observed effect.

And really, the most common spell on any caster's list is probably going to be dispel magic. Its a bit harder to make the check, but its all that's needed to kill the violet veil.

Not to mention the spells and items that specifically destroy prismatic effects, such as Disjunction and Rods of Cancellation.

Got a bit off topic, but I hope I brought up some helpful points for whatever you needed.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 09:52:48 PM »
How do you fight an Iot7V?

With one that's also a Sharn.
Planetouched Handbook

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
Imagine the persistent veils combined with a faceable Dispelling Screen.  Aww, poor MDJ can't axe through!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47:37 PM »

Orbital Drop ninja's
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 02:37:50 AM »

Orbital Drop ninja's

Send the Twice-Betrayer's Slayer to autonuke anything he has up defensively, then burninate him in usual anti-mage fashion.  Although, I am thinking about seeing how many (probably all) of the spells needed to breach the veils can be fired off at once from an arcane fusion matrix.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:59:58 AM »
The problem is when you do stuff like my signature character and put up a spell aimed AMF as well as the veils and have an auto-win. The only thing that can possibly get though it is an Initiate of Mystra or Invoke Magic user...to which he has plenty of readied/contingent actions to negate if such a character presents itself.

Actually, invoke magic wont work either since it only allows 4th level or lower spells and he has a persisted globe of invulnerability on...so yeah...one feat in the entire game that can 'potentially' beat him...good luck...that is until I walk into your space with my AMF (and since the veils block outside AMFs I am unaffected) and proceed to use telekinesis to pin you (since I also have initiate of mystra). So now you need still spell, silent spell, and initiate of mystra to even have a shot at beating him.

I dunno, sounds pretty ridiculous to me...of course this is only one build...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:02:02 AM by Azrael »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »
The sharn spends a full round action to forms a hex portal INSIDE YOUR BODY, which is shielded from the AMF.

It then spends a standard action on time stop, and fills your stomach with delayed blast fireballs.

Don't mess with big S.
Planetouched Handbook

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 03:13:17 AM »
And how does that go though the veils...?

What is this Hex Portal?

Oh, and hes immune to basically every type of damage , especially fire, sooooo...not to mention his magic immunity, or his persisted delay death.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 03:15:13 AM »
Sharn are bad ass like that :P  And I'm presuming the above is your signature build, not my Twice-Betrayer Slayer.  My contingency goes off anytime I'd be subject to AMF, interrupting any attempt to prevent movement, and since it's not a teleportation effect, dimensional anchor won't help you.  My dispel check will be at minimum 1d20+110+(amount +1 CL will add, I think it was 5 total), or autonuking all defenses, including the AMF and the veils, and this is but one of many actions available to the character in question, fired off reactively with no associated action use.  Full blown over the top includes persistent psionic effects after using a combination of psychic chirurgry and a source of powers to abuse the hell out of that CL with mental pinnacle, giving the TBS the same action abuse capability of a psion, with all the bells and whistles of wizard versatility and sorcerer superior casting mechanism.  But then again...how many problems can't be solved with a 110+ CL?
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:22 AM »
I dunno, how about my CL of 2054...Nice try on that dispel check lol...110, cute :P

Also, dispel magic only negates one of the veils...not both. And just incase something does actually get through my veils (and just so you know, it cant negate the AMF unless it penetrates the veils first) and tries to dispel me, other than dealing with my CL they have to deal with the fact that I also have readied/contingent actions against such things (including time stops), a spellblade for every dispel, and 2054 effulgent epuration spheres just begging to absorb any spell that I don't like which targets me...I'm sure I have other things as well, I just cant think of them at the moment.

Yes, its my signature build...far too powerful to ever consider playing. I do have a playable lesser version that's something like wiz 5/cler 1/incan 3/dwe 4/IotSFV 7 though...IIRC.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:11 AM »
You know, veils do jack diddly squat against reach weapons, except for the ones that would logically block the LoE for your AMF.

And why isn't your AMF destroying your veils, anyway?
Planetouched Handbook

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 03:33:55 AM »
What are you talking about...anything that passes though the veil is instantly destroyed...so your arm reaches...your weapon or whatever still has to pass though the veil to touch anything inside.

Assuming we go by the logic that Mr.Icarus did indeed email the creator of the class and you can cast though your veils my AMF would indeed come from behind them, since they only affect things going one direction.

Given that, the second answer should be obvious.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:37:18 AM by Azrael »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 03:40:59 AM »
Warding is (sp).

Your veils TURN OFF in an AMF.
Planetouched Handbook

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:29 AM »
I dunno, how about my CL of 2054...Nice try on that dispel check lol...110, cute :P

Also, dispel magic only negates one of the veils...not both. And just incase something does actually get through my veils (and just so you know, it cant negate the AMF unless it penetrates the veils first) and tries to dispel me, other than dealing with my CL they have to deal with the fact that I also have readied/contingent actions against such things (including time stops), a spellblade for every dispel, and 2054 effulgent epuration spheres just begging to absorb any spell that I don't like which targets me...I'm sure I have other things as well, I just cant think of them at the moment.

Yes, its my signature build...far too powerful to ever consider playing. I do have a playable lesser version that's something like wiz 5/cler 1/incan 3/dwe 4/IotSFV 7 though...IIRC.

And what build is this?  For that matter, is that even 20 levels?  The playable one is, but the 2k beast?

EDIT : And TML, weren't you the creator of the changeling batman wizard?  The one with the umteen per day uses of metamagic for free from recaster and shit?  I can't find that build anywhere on here, despite search usually being my friend :(
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:55 AM »
Yes, its a 20th level build...my portrait is actually what he looks like. Ill post it eventually, hes on a word file so it would be pretty easy.

No, I did not create that character...This character does essentially get free metamagic though. I still need to update him with a few of the needed revisions and the psy ref feat changes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:51:39 AM by Azrael »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 03:53:53 AM »

And what build is this?  For that matter, is that even 20 levels?  The playable one is, but the 2k beast?

EDIT : And TML, weren't you the creator of the changeling batman wizard?  The one with the umteen per day uses of metamagic for free from recaster and shit?  I can't find that build anywhere on here, despite search usually being my friend :(
No, I wasn't.
Planetouched Handbook

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2010, 04:00:46 AM »
No, I wasn't.

Found it, Sor0's changeling.  My bad TML.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 02:10:21 PM »

Wugga jigga jigga wha?! Ok, I definitely want to see this build as well, the 2054 cl one. Even if it's distributed by PM chain letter or something. Wow. That's just...wow.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage