Author Topic: Creating Marvel's Wolverine  (Read 7871 times)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Creating Marvel's Wolverine
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »
I don't understand why everyone keeps giving him Slayer.
I never understood why everything has to be built using psionics. You could ask how to build a completely nonpsionic hero, like wolverine, and someone is going to use psionics.

Wolverine has
  • "Psychic scar tissue" as a natural defense against psionic(mind-affecting) powers, not spidy-sense.
  • Regeneration; his "increased stamina" is nothing more than his recovery kicking in, not +90 temp hp.
  • Claws; pretty basic to think about.
  • Adamantine Skeleton; it keeps his bones from breaking and makes him heavy.
  • Enhanced Senses (sight); enough to seen in very little light. Not utter darkness.
  • Enhanced Senses (hearing); he can hear your heart beat up close. FYI DC 45 listen check can hear an owl gliding though a stone wall, a heart would be a lot less.
  • Enhanced Senses (smell); scent, enough said. Scent already covers detecting people close by even when you can't see.

Thats it. No all-around vision, no second mind manifesting psionic powers for him, no immunity to fire/acid/cold/energy drain, he doesn't leech your life force from you, no psionic talent what so ever.

Edit - Forgot his rage. Again, nonpsionic. A level of Barbarian would do it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:23:32 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »
I'm fairly interested to see how this turns out, been trying to make a workable build for Deadpool for a while and he has a copy of the regeneration XD

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »
I never understood why everything has to be built using psionics. You could ask how to build a completely nonpsionic hero, like wolverine, and someone is going to use psionics.

Wolverine has
  • "Psychic scar tissue" as a natural defense against psionic(mind-affecting) powers, not spidy-sense.
  • Regeneration; his "increased stamina" is nothing more than his recovery kicking in, not +90 temp hp.
  • Claws; pretty basic to think about.
  • Adamantine Skeleton; it keeps his bones from breaking and makes him heavy.
  • Enhanced Senses (sight); enough to seen in very little light. Not utter darkness.
  • Enhanced Senses (hearing); he can hear your heart beat up close. FYI DC 45 listen check can hear an owl gliding though a stone wall, a heart would be a lot less.
  • Enhanced Senses (smell); scent, enough said. Scent already covers detecting people close by even when you can't see.

Thats it. No all-around vision, no second mind manifesting psionic powers for him, no immunity to fire/acid/cold/energy drain, he doesn't leech your life force from you, no psionic talent what so ever.

Edit - Forgot his rage. Again, nonpsionic. A level of Barbarian would do it.
THANK YOU!

And to add a step to the same line of thought:  I never understood why everything has to be built using D&D. You could ask how to build a completely non-fantasy hero, like wolverine, and someone is going to use D&D.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2010, 12:42:04 PM »
THANK YOU!

And to add a step to the same line of thought:  I never understood why everything has to be built using D&D. You could ask how to build a completely non-fantasy hero, like wolverine, and someone is going to use D&D.
Actually I usually use BESM to build super hero type characters, but everyone I game with likes D&D more so that's what we usually play.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 03:44:58 PM »
I don't understand why everyone keeps giving him Slayer.

It just happens to be the point that psionics will do it better. Go ahead and make Wolverine as a melee character and whatever you come up with a psionics version will be better...

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 11:28:36 PM »
It just happens to be the point that psionics will do it better. Go ahead and make Wolverine as a melee character and whatever you come up with a psionics version will be better...

Character accuracy > "better"
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2010, 11:45:29 PM »

What's more important to accuracy? The flavor of the powers or imitating the powers mechanically?

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2010, 11:46:36 PM »

Hey we can start a yelling match here or one of your confederates can meet my challenge...

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2010, 02:31:47 AM »
Challenge?

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »
Challenge?
*points to*
Yeah, the thread has devolved into my build is best & psionics is broken.

So back on topic.

Warblade base seems to be the best bet. Crusader is too alignment based and swordsage is to magical. Plus wolverine is supposed to be battle smart.
Warblade 5

Needs rage.
Lion Totem Barbarian 1
You can also add Furious to whatever is used for claws to obtain greater rage.

Then Blood Claw Master 5? Nets scent, removes TWF penalties, full str on offhand attacks (no need for monk now), built in low damage rend attack & access to tiger claw maneuvers too. Pick up a valorous weapon since it's setup already looks like a charging pouncer with strikes.

Where from there? Hellreaver has probably the only healing you would use in battle outside of the Heal spell, up to +20 per round for 5+chamod rounds at each encounter but it's a five level dip (bonus, it nets mettle). Feral adds str/con, claws, and fast healing 2 but loses int. Another two levels in warblade would give int to damage.

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]