Author Topic: Sword Archon gish :)  (Read 3129 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Sword Archon gish :)
« on: January 19, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
Can be found in Book of Exalted Deeds. Yes, I know, it's ECL 20. I don't care. I'm playing CR -> ECL and I'm playing a Sword Archon. I know I could play a Sharn and be silly, but I'm not. I'm playing a Sword Archon. It's an ECL 11.

I have 9 free levels. Current thoughts? Trying to get 9s with Divine Crusader looking like... (no particular order)

Sword Archon......11
/Divine Crusader....1
/Contemplative......1
/Sacred Exorcist....1
/PrC Pally.............1
/Mystic Wanderer..1
/Radiant Servant...1
/Abjurant Champ...2

I then realized how ridiculous this looks, but it is the best thing I can do.

My goal is 9s, which means I can't miss one spellcasting level. I don't need to worry about BAB unless I take 9 levels of poor BAB, which, I won't.

Does anyone have any ideas?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Sword Archon gish :)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:51 PM »
Ya'll are bitches. How can I make this work? Do you think what I have works fine for a gish? I still need one more level that doesn't loose spellcasting.

NiteCyper

• Bi-Curious George
  • Contact me on .NET Messenger Service.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:55:17 PM »
Although this may not help you, for the sake of similarity, I'd like to point out a possible relation between whatever "CR -> ECL" means and the Tauric template from SS.
Caveat: I edit my posts, ever and anon after.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:00:27 PM »
Ya'll are bitches. How can I make this work? Do you think what I have works fine for a gish? I still need one more level that doesn't loose spellcasting.

Yer mother.

In all seriousness, I think the reason most people didn't respond to this is because Sword Archons have swords for arms, and thus require a feat to be able to cast spells at all. Furthermore, you can't cast spells with a material component that costs 1gp or more due to not being able to manipulate the focus/component.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 11:04:43 PM »

Yer mother.

In all seriousness, I think the reason most people didn't respond to this is because Sword Archons have swords for arms, and thus require a feat to be able to cast spells at all. Furthermore, you can't cast spells with a material component that costs 1gp or more due to not being able to manipulate the focus/component.

The swords go back into normal arms as a free action. So that is not really a problem.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:05:19 PM »
er, alter self?
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 11:08:54 PM »
The swords go back into normal arms as a free action. So that is not really a problem.

Didn't know that. I guess the other problem would be Divine Crusader levels being fairly poor. @OP: Can you squeeze in the requirements for Ordained Champion?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »

Didn't know that. I guess the other problem would be Divine Crusader levels being fairly poor. @OP: Can you squeeze in the requirements for Ordained Champion?

Nope. They don't progress spellcasting on the first level and that means I'd loose out on 9s.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 01:51:08 PM »
Church Inquisitor gives another domain and advances casting. So does Divine Oracle. Both are fairly easy to qualify for.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
Skip Sword Archon alltogether? ECL 11 means you could start Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 6. Chuck in another 3 levels of Planar Shepherd, and you've got the ability to Wildshape into a Sword Archon, with all their Ex, Su, and Spell-like abilities. Natural spell means you can still cast with swords for arms. The Druid spell list is alright, and can be supplemented with spell-like abilities from the Archon. You could even wrap up the build with Shadowcraft Mage levels, and get some Sor/Wiz Evocation and Conjuration action going.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:08 PM »
Skip Sword Archon alltogether? ECL 11 means you could start Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 6. Chuck in another 3 levels of Planar Shepherd, and you've got the ability to Wildshape into a Sword Archon, with all their Ex, Su, and Spell-like abilities. Natural spell means you can still cast with swords for arms. The Druid spell list is alright, and can be supplemented with spell-like abilities from the Archon. You could even wrap up the build with Shadowcraft Mage levels, and get some Sor/Wiz Evocation and Conjuration action going.

But then I wouldn't be a Sword Archon.

I'm playing a Sword Archon. I know I could play a Sharn and be silly, but I'm not. I'm playing a Sword Archon. It's an ECL 11.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:50 PM »

How will anyone tell if you are not a Sword Archon? You have all the abilities and properties of one all day long. The only way to tell differently is if you get stuck in an antimagic field.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:25 PM »
Ah, a druid. Never seen that as a solution to a build before.  :P

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »

How will anyone tell if you are not a Sword Archon? You have all the abilities and properties of one all day long. The only way to tell differently is if you get stuck in an antimagic field.

I would know :P

Church Inquisitor gives another domain and advances casting. So does Divine Oracle. Both are fairly easy to qualify for.

Is there a way to change the domains after getting them? I mean, I can't DCFS/Retrain/PsyRef them. Some PrCs have adaptations that allow for it but these don't. Is there something I'm missing?

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
Well, there's a spell in CC that lets you use the domain spell list of a different domain offered by your deity. 

What's wrong with your current build anyhow?  Sure it has a lot of dips, but that's because most divine PrCs are heavily front-loaded.

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
Ah, a druid. Never seen that as a solution to a build before.  :P

It's so versatile! Want a cohort-type without leadership? Druid. A Sword Archon? Druid. Smokey the Bear with 9th level spells? Druid!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 12:21:24 AM »
Well, there's a spell in CC that lets you use the domain spell list of a different domain offered by your deity. 

What's wrong with your current build anyhow?  Sure it has a lot of dips, but that's because most divine PrCs are heavily front-loaded.
Guess that's the best I can get.

It's all over the place! There's gotta be something better, right?

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 01:06:36 AM »
Contemplative 9...