Author Topic: Need quick help with 15th level Monk-ish build  (Read 1907 times)

Baelzar

• Monkey bussiness
  • INDEED!
    • Email
Need quick help with 15th level Monk-ish build
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:34:28 PM »
I'm participating in a very short campaign requiring a 15th level character.  I was looking at a Monk type.

3.5 books available, although this group isn't used to going off the Core pasture.  We've barely absorbed those newfangled Complete books.  No Psionics.

I have 88 stat points; 1-14 costs even, 15 costs 17, 16 costs 19, 17 costs 21, 18 costs 23.  The 3 bonus stat points are added on top of these scores.  Pretty generous.

I have 150k to spend (a bit low), and no magic item can be over 50k.  Most can't be over 25k.

I'm brainlocked with the choices.  Monk/Paladin using Ascetic Knight?  Sacred Fist using Monk2/Cleric4?  Trying to convince my DM to let me use the Unarmed Swordsage from ToB?

And what about Vow of Poverty in combination with any of these ideas?

Any help appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:41:33 PM by Baelzar »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
Re: Need quick help with 15th level Monk-ish build
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
VoP for the most part is epically lame. Ask your self if it's feasible possible to buy half your WBL, if the answer is above "I could get half" then your still getting more than VoP.

I somewhat kid, VoP does suck though outside of living in a prison where you'll remain itemless for all eternity.

Anyway, as I mentioned else where, Shiba Protector(oa) gives your wisdom mod to both attack and damage as a single level dip. Fist of the Forest(cc) is a five level PrC that gives two unarmed strike advancements, constitution mod to AC, fast movement, and a rage like ability that gives +4 dex, +2 dmg, and extra attack.

Unearthed Arcane's Overwhelming Attack Monk's Power Attack can be used to met feat requirements and if your DM goes for it, the Weak Will & Weak Fortitude flaws can pick up Iron Will & Great Fortitude as well.

Human Overwhelming Attack Monk 1 / Unarmed Swordsage 5ish / Shiba Protector 1 / Fist Of The Forest 5 / Unarmed Swordsage +3
May work out decently.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:38:34 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »
monk1/druid14

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
Saint is actually worth the +2 LA if you can stomach the 3 exalted feats required.  That combined with Cleric / Sacred Fist might be worthwhile, especially if you go by the text and not the table as respects spellcasting.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Baelzar

• Monkey bussiness
  • INDEED!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:20:20 AM »
I can't use Oriental Adventures since it's 3.0, but I've been given the go-ahead on Tome of Battle.  That means the Swordsage and the Superior Unarmed Strike feat are in play.

As far as the Saint template....I just don't think I can roleplay that well.  That and the looks of incredulity upon my friends' faces....hmm.  Might be worth it!

So with 150k I can easily trump all the VoP benefits?  There's the Monk's Belt, Belt of Giant Strength, Bracers of Armor, Boots of Speed, Periapt of Wisdom, Amulet of Mighty Fists (the cheaper ones)...without having Psionics allowed, there's not much more really, no?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:44:49 AM »
I can't use Oriental Adventures since it's 3.0, but I've been given the go-ahead on Tome of Battle.  That means the Swordsage and the Superior Unarmed Strike feat are in play.

As far as the Saint template....I just don't think I can roleplay that well.  That and the looks of incredulity upon my friends' faces....hmm.  Might be worth it!

So with 150k I can easily trump all the VoP benefits?  There's the Monk's Belt, Belt of Giant Strength, Bracers of Armor, Boots of Speed, Periapt of Wisdom, Amulet of Mighty Fists (the cheaper ones)...without having Psionics allowed, there's not much more really, no?

OA was updated in Dragon Magazine, for what that counts.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 05:11:32 AM »

Then ditch Monk and go Swordsage, with the Unarmed Variant.  It's not just a better class power wise, it's also a lot more fun.  For now, feel free to just go pure Swordsage... unless you want to be more of a ninja, in which case a quick dip into Rogue 2 for Trapfinding or Factotum 3 for Trapfinding and Int to dex based checks (makes the throw manuevers really awesome) would be fun.  Don't forget to take Adaptive Style.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 10:26:12 AM »

Then ditch Monk and go Swordsage, with the Unarmed Variant.  It's not just a better class power wise, it's also a lot more fun.  For now, feel free to just go pure Swordsage... unless you want to be more of a ninja, in which case a quick dip into Rogue 2 for Trapfinding or Factotum 3 for Trapfinding and Int to dex based checks (makes the throw manuevers really awesome) would be fun.  Don't forget to take Adaptive Style.

JaronK
This.  You'll have more options and the character will be more fun.  It's still not a powerhouse by any means, but it will certainly out perform the monk.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]