Author Topic: Ancient Heroes and Villains...  (Read 10681 times)

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
Re: Ancient Heroes and Villains...
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2010, 11:49:18 PM »
If they have a question they do.

And there's actually a third Arthur debate that's been told of, and was even made into a series (Fate/stay night). That Arthur was actually a girl who pretended to be a boy because no nation would accept a female king to lead them.

Now that is interesting. Never heard of that, I'll check up on it. Thanks!
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 11:55:20 PM »
If they have a question they do.

And there's actually a third Arthur debate that's been told of, and was even made into a series (Fate/stay night). That Arthur was actually a girl who pretended to be a boy because no nation would accept a female king to lead them.

Now that is interesting. Never heard of that, I'll check up on it. Thanks!
Well, I should probably revise that. Fate/stay night is more than just a King Arthur story. It's actually the anime (as well as Class of the Titans) that helped me create this idea for a campaign. So while there's King Arthur background, it's not just about Arthur.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
gods can do, much less heroes.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 04:22:20 PM »
And one final thought, if you're making use of D&D, you actually need to power most of the heroes up. High level characters are head and shoulders above most of the things that some mythological gods can do, much less heroes.
This. Hercules killed a hydra. Just one. And almost died doing it, if memory serves me. I forget how many heads it had, but Hydra CRs run from a lowly 4 (one head) to a middle-of-the-road 11 (twelve heads). And I'm pretty sure it had less than ten heads when it started out.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 12:13:24 AM »
Well considering hes doing it effectively solo(with a nonheroic companion), without magic equipment...
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 09:36:53 AM »
Well considering hes doing it effectively solo(with a nonheroic companion), without magic equipment...
VoP Monk? Maybe he was low enough level that it was actually still worth something. :lol
Or maybe he fudged the dice.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
VoP Monk? Maybe he was low enough level that it was actually still worth something. :lol
Or maybe he fudged the dice.[/quote]
Took me a second to realize VoP stood for Vow of Poverty. It's too early in the morning. :embarrassed

I was talking to a friend of mine last night who suggested that a good character to have would be this one female she heard about who took over as general and helped load the cannons when her husband fell in battle. She'd make an excellent Marshal character. Now if only either of us knew her name. I know of who she was speaking of, but not clue on the name.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
Other characters to throw in the pot, Daedalus(and possibly Icarus, though being famous for being an idiot...).

Or maybe he fudged the dice.
He probably had something analogous to VoP, comes with being the son of Zeus. Being able to strangle snakes in the cradle means VoP level raw stats.

Actually, make that every big time hero in history.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]