Author Topic: Hmm... Do you have any special skills? / I can hold my breath for ten minutes!  (Read 6106 times)

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
How would one optimize the ability to hold breath?

Race must be human
No magic/Su/Spell like stuff.
No ability to "breath" in water or not have to breath at all.
No Iron Heart Surging the water.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:52:45 AM by deuxhero »

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Necklace of adaptation. 9000 gp and the only way your breathing is impeded is if you're being choked.

Otherwise, boost your Con checks.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

deuxhero

"No magic/Su/Spell like stuff."

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
OK, so the default rules is

A character who has no air to breathe can hold her breath for 2 rounds per point of Constitution. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check in order to continue holding her breath. The save must be repeated each round, with the DC increasing by +1 for each previous success.

When the character fails one of these Constitution checks, she begins to suffocate. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she suffocates.

The best feat I know for this is from dragon 333, "Breath control", which lets you hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to the result of a Perform (wind instruments) check.

So to hold it for ten minutes, we need to make a DC 100 perform: wind instruments check.

I'm not sure if an item familiar would count as a violation of the "no magic stuff" clause.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
So every 5 points of constitution gives us 1 minute of breath. So Con 30 will give us 6 minutes and a base Fort save of 22 (assuming strong Fort all the way through). If you don't have the "fail on 1" thing, that's an auto-pass to save vs drowning for 14 rounds. That puts us at 7 minutes and 4 rounds before we even have to start rolling.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

deuxhero

I'd have to ask how you get 30 con without magic.

Oh, 2 quick things
Consider the "no magic" as if the test took place in an AMF (without cheater of Mystra or whatever), so inherent bonuses are ok
Level 20 or (for whatever reason) under builds.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
D'oh, didn't really think that one through. I was just going by the usual top stat which is about 36 or so and subtracted for a +6 enhancement item, but forgot that some of those came from inherent wish bonuses, etc. I guess if you start with 18 and add 5 from levels, that takes you to 23. Go human paragon, then Stoneblessed, and that gets you to 27.

5 minutes, 4 rounds from Con. Auto save on Fort for 12 more rounds. That puts us at 6 minutes, 6 rounds. Still not shabby.

edit: with the expert swimmer feat mentioned below, that's... 81 rounds from Con, auto save for 16 more, total 97 rounds. That's 9 minutes and 42 seconds before you start rolling dice.

Then there's that diamond mind manoeuvre that lets you sub a concentration check instead of a fort save. You don't get the secondary benefit of the expert swimmer feat (or do you?). If we can find a way to do it every round, and assuming no twinking of the skill, that's +31 to concentration, or 23 rounds of auto pass against drowning. 104 rounds (10 minutes, 24 seconds), 108 rounds if the feat carries over when using mind over body.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:04:20 AM by Surreal »
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
I'd have to ask how you get 30 con without magic.
Templates!

Mongrelfolk+loltouched+feral+....
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Kal Zakath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Would the Darfellen, from stormwrack, using the ability of "Hold breath" violate the cannot breathe in water.

Glutton

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Expert Swimmer Feat from Stormwrack, Requires Endurance, swim 4 ranks. Hold your breath for 3 rounds per con point instead of 2, +4 bonus to con checks to hold your breath.

Endurance<Expert Swimmer<Steadfast Determination (do not fail fort saves on a 1) should get you a very long breath before you even have to pick up a dice

You can also hit yourself with a vial of aboleth mucus (savage species pg 46) and not be able to breath air for 3 hours. The item doesnt actually say you now breath water though so good luck :D. The Breathing mask from the same page gives air for 4 hours, alch not magical.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:34:31 AM by Glutton »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Expert Swimmer Feat from Stormwrack, Requires Endurance, swim 4 ranks. Hold your breath for 3 rounds per con point instead of 2, +4 bonus to con checks to hold your breath.

Endurance<Expert Swimmer<Steadfast Determination (do not fail fort saves on a 1) should get you a very long breath before you even have to pick up a dice

You can also hit yourself with a vial of aboleth mucus (savage species pg 46) and not be able to breath air for 3 hours. The item doesnt actually say you now breath water though so good luck :D. The Breathing mask from the same page gives air for 4 hours, alch not magical.
Deep Breather from Dragon 335 says "You can hold your breath or double the normal number of rounds before you risk drowning". 
I believe that should stack with Expert Swimmer, so that's 6 times your con score.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Gnorman

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • I'm a monster. Rawr.
Is there a practical reason we're building Guybrush? Or is this just a TO exercise?

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
The Dukar hand coral in Champions of Valor is technically a magic item, but it's implanted into your hand meaning technically antimagic fields have no line effect to it. It increases your con by 10 for the purpose of holding your breath.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
5,000 x 5,000 x 5,000 foot canvas with a 5,000ish pound chunk of iron tied to it.

No magic/Su/Spell like stuff. It's not magical.
No ability to "breath" in water or not have to breath at all. You still have to breath and your not "breathing" into the water, just a large canvas sack.
No Iron Heart Surging the water. Didn't.

Duration: +1 day, give or take.

New rule: No SCUBA-like systems?

Edit: There should be a ridiculous examples of skills thread. Highlighting things like holding ones breath for an hour, tracking a frog over stone that passed though two days ago and it's been down pouring since, standing on clouds, crawling into the wrong holes, etc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:45:36 AM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Is there a practical reason we're building Guybrush? Or is this just a TO exercise?
Hold your breath. Cast planar bubble (elemental plane of water). Grapple someone.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
bottle of air, in a bag :)

stacking half dragon templates for Con
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

deuxhero

Just curious how long you could get a character to hold their breath.

New rule: No SCUBA-like systems?

Uneeded. You aren't "holding" your breath.

Hand_of_Vecna

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
But he is holding his breath he's holding it in a giant canvas bag.

Seriously though, ninja spy from OA adds it's class level to the constitution check roll. I know random templates would be better but if their nixed or limited this could be good.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Ahem ...

Quote from: Wikipedia

In 1997, Kenny G earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. Kenny G held an E-flat for forty five minutes and 47 seconds in the Hopkins-Bright Auditorium (named after his two friends) at J&R Music World in New York City.

:lmao

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
Ahem ...

Quote from: Wikipedia

In 1997, Kenny G earned a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for playing the longest note ever recorded on a saxophone. Kenny G held an E-flat for forty five minutes and 47 seconds in the Hopkins-Bright Auditorium (named after his two friends) at J&R Music World in New York City.

:lmao
Ug. Circular breathing is cheating!
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r