Author Topic: Trapmaster and Crazy Traps  (Read 4063 times)

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Trapmaster and Crazy Traps
« on: January 15, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
So I recently rediscovered the Trapmaster from Dungeonscape and I love the idea of throwing traps around. Espescially a gnome or kobold for a race. So I'm posting here to see if there's any crazy traps that I should know about. I've seen the Cure Light Wounds trap posted a couple of times which i'm guessing would be exactly like the CR 2 Inflict Light Wounds trap.

Here's one that I think could be pretty fun to haul around. It's the CR 5 Fusillade of Darts but with the Black Lotus Extract on the darts giving it a +8 to CR for 13 total.

Fusillade of Poisoned Darts: CR 12; mechanical; touch trigger; automatic reset; Atk +19 ranged (1d4+1, dart, poison (black lotus extract, DC 20 Fortitude save resists, 3d6 Con/3d6 Con)); multiple targets (1d8 darts per target in a 10-ft.-by-10-ft. area); Search DC 15; Disable Device DC 25. Market Price: 107,900 gp.

It will look like a rocket launcher with a manual trigger that shoots out up to 8 darts per person in a 10ft area and each dart does 1d4+1+3d6 con damage. No reloading required, just keep clicking the firing button.

I think that's right but the cost is just exorbitant. I have no idea how to lower it. 90% of the cost is due to the poison. Maybe just buy a endless decanter of liquid black lotus extract and set it inside the tube?

Any more ideas on how to trick out traps are more than welcome.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Trapmaster and Crazy Traps
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
Minor Creation. Better yet, psionic minor creation, as it's infinitely cheaper (1st level power).
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Ed-Zero

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
Minor Creation. Better yet, psionic minor creation, as it's infinitely cheaper (1st level power).
So here's what I came up with..

Magical Fusillade of Poisoned Darts: CR 6; magic device; touch trigger; automatic reset; Atk +19 ranged (1d4+1, dart, poison (black lotus extract, DC 20 Fortitude save resists, 3d6 Con/3d6 Con via psionic creation, minor)); multiple targets (1d8 darts per target in a 10-ft.-by-10-ft. area); Search DC 15; Disable Device DC 25. Market Price: 3,700 gold. XP Cost: 80

cost:
touch -100gp
automatic +500gp
search dc 15 -500gp
disable device +1000gp
attack bonus +19 1800gp
magical device creating darts via psionic creation, minor 500gp
magical device creating poison via psionic creation, minor 500gp
total gold cost: 3,700 gold
xp cost: 40 per spell = 80xp required

cr:
magic trap +1
creating darts via psionic creation, minor +1
creating poison via psionic creation, minor +1
search dc 15 -1
disable device 25 +1
attack bonus 19 +1
total: 6

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:17:25 PM »
Spamming automatic reset fell drain acid splash traps (craftable with CL 1, assuming the right feats) is also a viable strategy
Base cost of 2000 gold apiece, and deal a negative level each.

For the mundane traps, I'd recommend that you lower your disable device DC to DC 1, and just boost your search DC into the stratosphere.  If they can't find it, they can't disable it, so why have two checks?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:52 PM »
Spamming automatic reset fell drain acid splash traps (craftable with CL 1, assuming the right feats) is also a viable strategy

For the mundane traps, I'd recommend that you lower your disable device DC to DC 1, and just boost your search DC into the stratosphere.  If they can't find it, they can't disable it, so why have two checks?
"This simple switch can turn off the whole thing. Granted, it's invisible, ethereal, non-detection enchanted, gaseous, and surrounded in this Hardened Obdurium case enchanted with a wall-of-force and prismatic sphere so you cannot get through it, but it's just a simple switch."

Conversely, the Death Star syndrome.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Aliment

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Illithid Zombies
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:33:23 AM »

"This simple switch can turn off the whole thing. Granted, it's invisible, ethereal, non-detection enchanted, gaseous, and surrounded in this Hardened Obdurium case enchanted with a wall-of-force and prismatic sphere so you cannot get through it, but it's just a simple switch."
So what would the opposite be like?

A sign on the wall says "Pull me".  The rogue states the obvious, "I found something, and I'm pretty sure its a trap".  The wizard says: "Well why not disable it?  As far as I know, the Spell Compendium hasn't allowed me to do this part of your job yet."  The rogue rolls and gets a 29 on disable.  And the DM laughs maniacly as he states that this roll constitutes and epic fail, and each party member must make 2 fort saves or receive 6d6 con damage (avg 21).  The fighter is the only one to survive, and promptly falls in a hole running out of the dungeon.
Conversely, the Death Star syndrome.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:44:18 AM »
In my opinion it's always been deadlier and more fun all around to set up encounter traps instead of normal traps (dungeonscape has some).

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
In my opinion it's always been deadlier and more fun all around to set up encounter traps instead of normal traps (dungeonscape has some).
Yeah.  Having spell turrets on top of spinning fan blades in the middle of a giant machine with 5' diameter pistons that go up and down on irregular intervals is always a blast.
Planetouched Handbook

Ed-Zero

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »
Yeah.  Having spell turrets on top of spinning fan blades in the middle of a giant machine with 5' diameter pistons that go up and down on irregular intervals is always a blast.
Care to expound on this a little more?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
Pretty much what I said.  DMG II has spell turrets, but they're a little boring since they don't move.  So I stuck a massive fan blade in the middle of the area (moving it on its own initiative, and dealing damage to people who were in the way and couldn't make a reflex save), and also marked off some pistons and overhangs and stuff, and rolled a d6 to see which piston would change position (IE: make the terrain suddenly 30' high instead of 0') each round.

Of course, that's as a DM speaking.  You'd be able to rig up something similar as a player, but for portability sake an enveloping pit full of spell turrets is probably your best bet.  Just attach it to the ceiling and release a tower of casting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:48:58 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Ed-Zero

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »
Ahhh, I didn't even know that DMG II had traps, that's where I was confused. Thanks for clearing it up :D Spell turrent looks sweet.

Ed-Zero

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »
So I went through and created spell turrets for each level that I thought were the best. Treantmonk's guides to being a GOD helped enormously. http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0

As you can see, I pulled the best spells listed there some with their descriptions to make things a little easier. Also, the spells listed under Alt: are spells that I think would be pretty good if you don't like the one's listed. Note: When I made these, I just listed the spells down in no particular order. To me, getting the right schools was more important.

I'm not sure if spell turrets ignore components, if so then a host of spells that were not worthy enough before would come into play. If anyone has cheesy spells (especially from Faerun) then please post 'em up!

All 4 spells must be the same level, from the same list and from different schools

spell turrent wizard - level 1
1 - Protection from Evil - Abjuration
2 - Ray of Enfeeblement - Necromancy
3 - Grease - Conjuration
4 - Ray of Clumsiness (SpC - Transmutation) - It's Ray of Enfeeblement, except instead of weakening offense, it hurts their defense. Really nice spell, easily lowering AC and Reflex saves. Kill those pesky Rogues with this.

spell turrent wizard - level 2level 3level 4level 5level 6level 7level 8level 9level 3

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »
The combination of one of the orb of fire spells and pyrotechnics is quite a good one for spell turrets.

Spell turrets require you to pay a cost 50*component prices, IIRC.

Your ninth level turret needs disjunction.  Spamming it every 4 rouds is insane.

That said, getting a two ninth level turrets is rather inferior to getting one ninth level turret and a huge pile of first levels.  Getting hit by several dozen magic missiles kills anyone without a shield spell up, and will drill right through a broach of shielding.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:15:01 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Planetouched Handbook

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:46 PM »
I think your Cleric one needs a little work. Why are you giving your targets fast healing?

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:14:05 PM »
I think your Cleric one needs a little work. Why are you giving your targets fast healing?
You can set it up to target allies (the example given is a summoning spell followed by a buff)
Planetouched Handbook

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 10:54:45 PM »
You can set it up to target allies (the example given is a summoning spell followed by a buff)

So you can. That's good to know.