Author Topic: Spriggan Swashbuckler/Daring Outlaw  (Read 1209 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Spriggan Swashbuckler/Daring Outlaw
« on: January 10, 2010, 02:45:16 PM »
I've just found a new group, and will be joining them for a game in 2 hours.

The group is currently ECL 9
I can enter as ECL 8, but I MUST start as a first level character.

My stats are a straight 1-for-1 buy, at 75 points.

I'm going to play a Spriggan (FF) going for Daring Outlaw.  Here is a quote from the Simple Question thread a few days ago:

Q 52: A Spriggan Swashbucker could qualify for Daring Outlaw all by himself, but what happens when he becomes large-sized?  Would he then lose all his sneak attack?

Sub-question A: Assuming the above Spriggan would lose all his sneak attack, and wants to prevent that, what is the best way for him to gain the +2d6 sneak attack with the least impact to his BAB? I suppose a level of Warblade and two levels of fighter to get Cloak of Deception and Assassin's Stance without a BAB hit?

Spell-likes are CL 8.  That means a Spriggan Fey 5/LA 2/Swashbuckler 9 (or something similar) could fight with Produce Flame, doing 2 full attack touch sneak attacks out of every 3 rounds.

Round 1: Invoke the Produce Flame and throw it at your target, then move into flanking position.
Round 2: Three touch attacks at BAB +11/+6/+1 (and add +5 dex mod to that), plus flanking +2, for 9d6+5 fire damage each hit.
Round 3: Repeat round 2.
Round 4: Touch attack once and 5-ft step away.
Round 5: Repeat steps 1-4.

Not bad.  Sure, resistance to fire hinders it, but still not bad.

So, what are the best ways I could optimize this?

I'll be starting as a Spriggan Fey 5/LA 2/Swashbuckler 1

I'll get Weapon Finesse for free from Swashbuckler, and I'll have 3 feats to use - what would be optimal?
Combat Reflexes will be nice, as I can have reach and will still have a monstrously large Dex score.
If there are no multiclassing penalties, I'll probably dip a level of Warblade for my first level, so I can get Cloak of Deception right away.  That leaves me with one more to fill.... (or possibly 2, if Warblade is a no-go).

The spriggan's racial stat adjustments (when small):
Dex +10, Con +2, Wis -2

When large:
Str +8, Dex +6, Con +8, Wis -2

I'm thinking the following for stats:
Str 10
Dex 26 (16 +10 racial)
Con 18 (16 +2 racial)
Int 12
Wis 10 (12 -2 racial)
Cha 9

Just realized that I can't dip a level of Warblade due to favored class issues (though I may find out the group doesn't use favored class restrictions), but I was thinking of maybe taking one level of Warblade first, so I could take Martial Study as my 6HD feat, putting it on the Warblade recovery mechanic.  That would delay me getting Weapon Finesse until next level, but I'd be alright - just be throwing lots of produce flames.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:23:09 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Spriggan Swashbuckler/Daring Outlaw
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »
Undo Resistance from Fiendish Codex II would be a good feat too, I think.

So, I'll start with Combat Reflexes, Undo Resistance, and possibly Martial Study (Cloak of Deception), if there are no multiclassing penalties.

Then at 9th HD I could get Assassin's Stance, and at 12th I could get Daring Outlaw, and be able to maintain sneak attack when large sized.  At 15th I'd probably go for the Tome of Battle feat that allows me to add Dex to damage with a shortsword/unarmed, etc.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread