Author Topic: Major Image for Uber Direct Damage?  (Read 1844 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Major Image for Uber Direct Damage?
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
Major image acts as silent image but also allows "thermal illusions."  Since nuclear energy is a force and silent image can mimic forces, use this to make a very hot, very painful tactical nuke.

A clause for the 
[Figment]
descriptor says, "{Figments] cannot cause damage to objects or creatures," but I was hoping for a way around this.  How can this fake nuke become a damaging nuke?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Major Image for Uber Direct Damage?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
Major image acts as silent image but also allows "thermal illusions."  Since nuclear energy is a force and silent image can mimic forces, use this to make a very hot, very painful tactical nuke.

A clause for the 
[Figment]
descriptor says, "{Figments] cannot cause damage to objects or creatures," but I was hoping for a way around this.  How can this fake nuke become a damaging nuke?
Have a shadowcraft mage use the spell to duplicate locate city? :p
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
Shadowcraft Mages are indeed the class to do this sort of thing with.  Use Earth Spell, Arcane Thesis, and Residual Metamagic for pure awesomeness.

JaronK

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
What's a build to make the major image nuke?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »
Generally you'd use Silent Image because it's lower level and thus better for the job.  But a very simple build would be Gnome Illusionist 10/Shadowcraft Mage 5/Earth Dreamer 5 with two flaws, taking Spell Focus: Illusion, Heighten Spell, Earth Sense, Earth Spell, Echoing Spell, Arcane Thesis: Silent Image, Residual Metamagic, and any other metamagic feats you think would be fun (Twin Spell would make sense).  Get into SCM as fast as you can (Earth Spell gets you in earlier than normal) and take all the various gnome substitutions.

JaronK

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »
This doesn't work any more than creating a Tarrasque with silent image and making that real, I'm afraid.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:14:25 AM »
This doesn't work any more than creating a Tarrasque with silent image and making that real, I'm afraid.

It works better if you've optimized your %'s, actually.  Remember, you're not making an illusion real, you're mimicking something with shadowstuff! :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!