Author Topic: Battoujutsu perfect strike of doom... and questions about it  (Read 3052 times)

Akahi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Battoujutsu perfect strike of doom... and questions about it
« on: January 07, 2010, 09:15:39 PM »
Hello everyone!

Before getting to the min-maxing, I would like to clear that the character I am asking advice about is one for a BESM d20 campaign, one with a really big lot of adapted material from standard D&D, so I think everyone here should still be able to help me with the min-max stuff.

I am playing with a multiclass character, 9 levels from Samurai, and, so far, 3 levels from a homebrew martial adept prestige class that lets you stack your levels from it with your samurai levels, so my initiator level would be 12.
So, introductions finished, the idea I have is taking this character, get some iaijutsu focus and a nightmare blade to make a really brutal, one hit kill kind of attack (which I will save for a worst case situation, you know, anime campaign).
The point is, does a Ruby or Diamond nightmare blade multiply iaijutsu damage?? (AKA the one you get from rolling iaijutsu focus).
After you've answered that question, there's the obvious what can I get to really really kick asses with this killing strike??

Feedback and help are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance to everyone!! 

DerWille

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Battoujutsu perfect strike of doom... and questions about it
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
I believe that Iaijutsu damage is independent of those maneuvers. The formula would be something like.

(Weapon Damage + Str Damage + Power Attack)*(Feats)*(Maneuvers) + Iaijutsu Damage

Now, for the build ideas. There was a build called the meditant that would be right up your alley. What it does is mix the Nightmare blade series with high concentration checks with the feat Deep Impact. What you do is make a concentration check against the enemies' AC, if you win, you get the multiplier. Then you use deep impact to make an attack against their touch AC. Which means that you will practically hit all the time. The build was something like...

Psychic Warrior 1/Warblade 18

1) Psionic Weapon, Power Attack
3) Psionic Meditation
6) Deep Impact
9) Leap Attack

You'll probably want a Valorous Weapon from Unapproachable East too.

As for the big eyes small mouth, sorry man, don't know much about it.

Akahi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:12:40 PM »
Well, BESM d20 works with character points, every class gives you powers for a total value within 196 to 204, which is to say, if i want to get the Psychic warrior, I have to adapt it (more work for me) besides, touch attacks are not that cool in BESM  :(

Well, anyway, the homebrewed PrC that I mentioned before gets me maneuvers from Diamond Mind and Iron Heart, so I think the warblade thing is pretty much there. I'll check the unapproachable east, see what can I find there, thanks for the helping! and keep it coming!   ;)

Akahi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:16:32 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, I read in the Rules Compendium that a flat-footed character is one that hasn't taken an action in combat... so.... if I have a bigger initiative than my opponent, is the first round of combat,  and I strike... do I get iaijutsu focus damage??  ???

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot, I read in the Rules Compendium that a flat-footed character is one that hasn't taken an action in combat... so.... if I have a bigger initiative than my opponent, is the first round of combat,  and I strike... do I get iaijutsu focus damage??  ???
Yep, assuming you also drew the weapon

Otherwise, you need to use abilities granted by feats and/or force your opponent to be balancing (marbles work against most)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 09:09:54 AM »
I'm curious though, sneak attack doesn't multiply because in the description it says it doesn't.  So wouldn't Iaijutsu Focus multiply on Ruby Nightmare Blade because it lacks the sentence saying it can't?
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Akahi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:33:07 PM »
Well, Iaijutsu focus does lack the sentence saying it doesn't multiply, and is not presision (sorry if it's written wrong) damage, since it is effective against things that don't have vitals, yet again, Fire damage from a flaming weapon doesn't multiply, and it accomplishes roughly the same conditions for iaijutsu. So, if you need a reason for not multiplying it that is actually in the rules, that would be it.
If we talk about balance, my character has a +22 modifier in iaijutsu focus, that's an average 32 roll, which translates into +5d6 damage, adding some weapon qualities and a couple maneuvers, the "additional dice" damage grows to +12d6, and were talking about a holy bane of evil outsiders +3 katana buffed with Searing Blade (Desert Wind 4) and Punishing stance (Iron Heart 1), so none of this is presision damage. Should this multiply?? no, I personally don't think so.     

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 03:37:06 PM »
I'm curious though, sneak attack doesn't multiply because in the description it says it doesn't.  So wouldn't Iaijutsu Focus multiply on Ruby Nightmare Blade because it lacks the sentence saying it can't?
I believe there are more general rules on multiplying bonus damage. If it's a straight bonus you'd have more room, but IIRC Iaijutsu Focus adds dice.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
The rule isn't about precision die.  And the "normal melee damage" clause on RNB, along with it mentioning stacking with critical hits, implies that it works as a critical hit.

Exception: Extra damage dice

Iujutsu doesn't multiply. Holy doesn't multiply. Nor Sneak Attack, nor the Flaming property, nor Bane... and so on.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 04:23:18 PM by bearsarebrown »

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:32:41 PM »
On the other hand, the extra +cha per dice from Iaijutsu master should. 

Which is awesome.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »

Which is awesome.
so abusable.  I love it.
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

Akahi

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »

Which is awesome.

Well... you're right, let's see, average roll o 32, that's 5d6, so Charisma 10 times 5, which would be 0x5=0....
anyone has a spare charisma cloak :D??