Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue  (Read 139611 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question: The Revenge of the Grue
« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »
He's a "flaming" idiot who needs to be "Forced" to take some reading comprehension classes.
That may be, but he's still the DM, and as we know they always get the final say.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: January 12, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
He's a "flaming" idiot who needs to be "Forced" to take some reading comprehension classes.
That may be, but he's still the DM, and as we know they always get the final say.

"How are you going to make a phone call...if you can't speak?" -mouth fleshes over-  Or there's always duct tape!  RL silence ftw!

In seriousness though, you might try and dredge the WotC archives and see if there's an example of that bow being used with energy-charged arrows in play.  If there's a concrete use of it in a game, he might at least respect the precident.  Also, if he's making a physics objection, remind him that "force," i.e. raw newtons, has the exact same value as heat (which I forget the base unit of measure for...), and thus whether it is converted into plain force or stays as heat, still exists and remains on the arrow via Conservation of Energy.  Hope this helps!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: January 12, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »

"How are you going to make a phone call...if you can't speak?" -mouth fleshes over-  Or there's always duct tape!  RL silence ftw!

In seriousness though, you might try and dredge the WotC archives and see if there's an example of that bow being used with energy-charged arrows in play.  If there's a concrete use of it in a game, he might at least respect the precident.  Also, if he's making a physics objection, remind him that "force," i.e. raw newtons, has the exact same value as heat (which I forget the base unit of measure for...), and thus whether it is converted into plain force or stays as heat, still exists and remains on the arrow via Conservation of Energy.  Hope this helps!
There's references in the books for supporting having a Flaming Frost weapon getting both d6 of elemental damage, as well.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
There's references in the books for supporting having a Flaming Frost weapon getting both d6 of elemental damage, as well.
See, that he can accept. The same for a weapon that deals damage to you if you're anything but true neutral. It's just the force property that he's got problems with.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
See, that he can accept. The same for a weapon that deals damage to you if you're anything but true neutral. It's just the force property that he's got problems with.
unless I'm missing something, all force does is let you reliably hit incorporeal creatures -- from a DM standpoint, I don't see what the BFD is.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2010, 05:41:29 PM »
unless I'm missing something, all force does is let you reliably hit incorporeal creatures -- from a DM standpoint, I don't see what the BFD is.

That DM uses a lot of Incorpereal enemies, and things with DR. Force gets past DR... Apparently, # players who beat his encounters = reduce the size of his dick by # inches.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
I'd chop it off and walk out of the game if that was his hang up. FFS.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #327 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »

That DM uses a lot of Incorpereal enemies, and things with DR. Force gets past DR... Apparently, # players who beat his encounters = reduce the size of his dick by # inches.
oh yeah, that guy   :banghead

you know -- if he's gonna get all butt-hurt over stuff like this, he needs to go back to the drawing board.  he needs to take in account stuff that the PC's can (and will be able to) do, and adjust his encounters accordingly.  retconning the PC's so that your encounters will be challenging is just bad design -- he needs to find some new tricks, and understand that his "go-to" isn't appropriate for all situations.  the whole point of the PC's is to do things that normal people cannot.
I mean -- really?!  it's DR and incorporeal-touch -- BFD!  .... I just don't know what else to say  ???

I'd chop it off and walk out of the game if that was his hang up. FFS.
TRUTH TO POWER!!!  :sparta
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:52:31 PM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:43 PM »
Should just focus on energy based spells, then, since they ignore incorporeality.

Edit: Or add Collision to the bow. +1 enhancement, +5 damage. Done.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #329 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »
Should just focus on energy based spells, then, since they ignore incorporeality.

No they don't.  Incorporeality means they ignore those 50% of the time.

And Collision's a +2 property anyway.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #330 on: January 12, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »

Really? a +2? Hmm.

And my bad, misremembered the Incorporeal entry. Isn't there one in the MIC that's a +1 that does ghost touch and then some?
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #331 on: January 12, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »

No they don't.  Incorporeality means they ignore those 50% of the time.

Really? a +2? Hmm.

And my bad, misremembered the Incorporeal entry. Isn't there one in the MIC that's a +1 that does ghost touch and then some?
you're thinking of ghost strike, which is a +1 and lets you also sneak attack and crit undead; but it's a synergy ability which requires ghost touch as a prereq (for a total of a +2).

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: January 12, 2010, 06:05:37 PM »

Really? a +2? Hmm.

you're thinking of ghost strike, which is a +1 and lets you also sneak attack and crit undead; but it's a synergy ability which requires ghost touch as a prereq (for a total of a +2).
Alright. I'm going back to bed today. Apparently I put my wrong brain in this morning.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #333 on: January 12, 2010, 06:09:04 PM »
Or maybe he's thinking of Truedeath Crystal, which gives you that plus +1d6 damage vs. Undead for 10k on a +3 weapon.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2010, 06:17:43 PM »
Or Serrenwood special material. +4000g for mundane Ghost touch.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
Or Serrenwood special material. +4000g for mundane Ghost touch.
or Astral Driftmetal for mundane ghost touch armor (not that his DM will allow such a thing)

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
TK grapple them, then either magic jar into a body or transmute it into something corporeal, whilst holding the TK lock, and have it do unpleasant things to itself.  Call it an effigy :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
Q 91 In Savage Tidings there was an Olman Tribe totemist PrC located in the dragon magazines, and built like a ranger. What was it called, and what issue is it in?

Q 92 Is there a device that can be used by a class that can't use magic device, that'll summon skeletons? It's about the only thing my character can afford that'll protect his wife from a possible mind flayer invasion. (I read it online that skeletons are a good way of taking them on.) The DM's being vague, but saying something like harbouring a female mind flayer from her overprotective father could "bite you in the ass", who's also a potential love interest for the red dragon who's considering that route next campaign, never means anything good. Chances are it'll happen while we're away in the Abyss trying to rescue a friend, and I'd rather not have my character come home to a burned down village.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:30:16 PM by kevin_video »

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
A92: There's the Robe of Bones that can sumon up some undead, but they're not under anyone's control.

You might be better off getting one of the Giant Vermin amulets.  They're also immune to Mind-affecting stuff (being mindless).  They're vulnerable to some of the other Mind Flayer attacks, but they're loyal to you and the items are much cheaper.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »
A92: There's the Robe of Bones that can sumon up some undead, but they're not under anyone's control.

You might be better off getting one of the Giant Vermin amulets.  They're also immune to Mind-affecting stuff (being mindless).  They're vulnerable to some of the other Mind Flayer attacks, but they're loyal to you and the items are much cheaper.
Not to mention some of them are downright nasty. The scorpion's improved grab ability, for one, makes it pretty good against non-frontliners.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]