Author Topic: Is Min/Max restricted to D&D?  (Read 9830 times)

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
Re: Is Min/Max restricted to D&D?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »
I'd run one, but I an notoriously bad for letting PbP games die quickly.

Question: does anyone know if that rule about STR and recoil comp is real?  And if so, where is it in SR4?
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 12:54:36 AM »
I'll have to dig out my books and take a look. I don't remember seeing it in SR4, but there is a recoil modifier for having a high strength in SR3.

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 03:59:55 AM »
I'll have to dig out my books and take a look. I don't remember seeing it in SR4, but there is a recoil modifier for having a high strength in SR3.

I think it's in the Cannon Companion...
"...Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamines; so I can sound fresh and say dope things in between..."

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 04:56:40 AM »
There's no CC for SR4.  Yet, anyway.

EDIT: Duh, forgot: Arsenal IS the SR4 CC.  And the STR rules are right there on pg. 163. :D

So have 10+ STR, and you're golden for RC on the HV gun above. :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:00:16 AM by tsuyoshikentsu »

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 05:34:05 AM »
Another SR4 one.  Take a look at this guy.  You could literally hit him with a rocket launcher and he'd be mildly dazed.

The really fun part is when you get into the game and get your hands on a pain editor, though.  Also when your DM disarms you and then realizes your unarmed strike deals about as much damage as a monofilament chainsaw.

By the way: all of my optimization posts for SR sort of ignore the fact that any character using them is about as street-legal as a pickup truck with no muffler, seatbelt, hood or doors.  So, uh, use at your own risk.  (Because no offense, guys, but look how well RP balanced the Cleric.)

olothfaern

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
True, but legality only comes into play if you're trying to travel.  Then, it's fun to watch the cybered characters burn with envy while your previously looked down upon magical solutions coast through security (as long as you don't have any foci/fetishes or other physical "evidence".

Great from spirits are a smugglers best friend.
"...Drink Listerine, brush my teeth with amphetamines; so I can sound fresh and say dope things in between..."

Talen Lee

• Bi-Curious George
  • Forum Ninja
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 12:08:52 AM »
I min-maxed in BESM, which is roughly equivalent to taking steroids before competing in the special olympics.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 01:49:50 AM »
By the way: all of my optimization posts for SR sort of ignore the fact that any character using them is about as street-legal as a pickup truck with no muffler, seatbelt, hood or doors.  So, uh, use at your own risk.  (Because no offense, guys, but look how well RP balanced the Cleric.)
You mean as legal as Riff's pickup?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »
From my gaming experience, there is only one system that cannot be optimized. That system is Warhammer Quest. And the only reason is that by RAW in that game, every choice you make during character creation is completely random, even your spells or powers. But it was an awesome system. Damn shame it isn't supported anymore. I'd love to get a game going here using it, but the rules and stuff are nigh unto impossible to find.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 02:26:36 PM »
I loved Quest. I played a lot of that for a while. I was the wizard in the group, and at some point, I got the Hoover spell: you'd pick some set of contiguous squares on the board, and everything in those squares had to save-or-die, basically. I forget the details, since it's been ages, but that's about how it went.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »
I loved Quest. I played a lot of that for a while. I was the wizard in the group, and at some point, I got the Hoover spell: you'd pick some set of contiguous squares on the board, and everything in those squares had to save-or-die, basically. I forget the details, since it's been ages, but that's about how it went.

I played a Necromancer in a Chaos party. We had a Chaos Warrior (Undivided, but was planning on Slaanesh or Nurgle), a Spell Blade (devoted to Slaanesh), Me (Minion of the Tomb Kings), and a Vampire (no class, but he was awesome!). It ended up with me being cursed by Khorne and losing my voice (thus my ability to cast spells), the CW and SB escaping from a Bloodthirster with backup, and the Vampire being nailed into his own coffin, but not before we thrashed an entire orc horde. I loved it to death, and want to find the system again.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:05 PM »
i recall a gurps character i made that abused two loopholes i found as an npc for the party to counter.

one involved the multi-shot combined uniquely with rapid fire advantages, the other required the wild cards power of ectoplasmic generation. which can be made into an infinite loop, but the math started hurting my head so i stopped after a bit. ^^ gurps math is painful enough without adding infinite loops to the equations.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 01:07:15 AM »
I like to contemplate the following systems:

Spirit of the Century

I am also a fan of that system and optimization in that seems to be based more on a competent understanding of pulp fiction tropes and understanding the aspect system. Although how useful skills are depends a great deal on how the DM runs the campaign.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »
I need Shadowrun min-maxing, seriously.

Check out the Dumpshock forums for that.  It's a better forum for it.  Personally I only do SR3 (which sadly is far less supported) but there's still something.

JaronK

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 06:02:36 AM »
Oh yes. I've done so on MUDs, board games, and lately OMG Dota. Nothing says "I smell RAGE QUIT!" like getting overpower, Impetus, ww and sprout on techies. Speed-runners also min-max in less obvious ways.

by being so incredibly rules-oriented and releasing, in every new book, unconnected and badly un-tested (by anyone knowledgeable about rules in OTHER books) mechanics, invited abuse beyond what many other systems could.
Wow. You need to go post this a hundred times over at gleemax.  :clap
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r