Author Topic: Archivist Optimization  (Read 5412 times)

DerWille

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Archivist Optimization
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 11:58:51 AM »
Ah now that you must be neutral (if you want that Cleric dip) you wouldn't qualify for Sacred Exorcist.

Also, can you tell us all of these role play requirements? It'll make it easier for us to give suggestions and come up with justifications.

This is just me, but did you ask for those restrictions or is the DM just coming down on you?

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »
Looks like the Dm has some hate towards you...

Out of curiosity, what spells were ''broken'' in spell compendium?

Oh, also, befriend an npc druid circle, it's so much easier than researching spells to politely ask them to cast a spell in your scroll.

And your church must have adepts, befriend them too.

And the druid circle must have some high level rangers, DEFINITELY be chummy with those too.

What I,m trying to say is.... invest a lot of skill points in diplomacy...  and get the guidance of the avatar spell on your spell list....

If you do all I just told you, you'll have a decent spellbook.  Oh, and other churches too, specially those with NICE domains, like trickery, travel, celerity, time, slime. 

Work it into your backstory, as a researcher of divine magic, you naturally have a wide network of friendly connections, that you go out for a drink with once in a while.

Also, as you face divine spellcasting adversaries, be ruthless.  If possible, don't kill them, neutralise them and then torture them for additional spells,  they deserve it anyways, and it would fit the ''inquisitorial feel'' of the boccob church.

You: so.... i heard you guys had the madness domain hun?  Interesting....
BBEG: I will never talk!..... wait what?
You: Yeah.... madness domain.... that's a nice domain, lotsa good spells in there....
BBEG: .... now i'm kinda lost.... I don't know where you're getting
You, cutting him on the arm with a knife, slowly: I want you to give me those spells boy, and i'm gonna cut you until you do...

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:56:03 PM by Alastar »

paqqy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »
Ah now that you must be neutral (if you want that Cleric dip) you wouldn't qualify for Sacred Exorcist.

Well, I can be within one step. I plan to be Neutral Good. But the problem remains that the 'Church of Boccob of Latter Day Knowledge' wouldn't necessarily be interested in granting turning/exorcism powers. At least not in the same way that a church of Pelor or Hiernoeous would. Or the same way Obad-Hai would (because undead are so unnatural).

Also, can you tell us all of these role play requirements? It'll make it easier for us to give suggestions and come up with justifications.

Some of them I can't say because people in my group might bump into these forums if they start looking for info on the archivist when they find out there is one in the party and bump into this thread, finding out things they shouldn't know.

Anyway, here is what I can tell you.

[spoiler]There was a major catastrophe in the not too-distant past. My grandparents were oracles who were critical to restoring order. My family is a well-respected family (Think of them like the Kennedies or Bushes) an so let's just assume then they are scrutinized by the general population.

A generation passes.

My character, an adult, has had to do his mandatory military time. This is where that backstory level level comes in. I can either have fulfilled my actual military duty or have run to avoid it. Runing to avoid it seems impossible because I later have to work for this very same government, as I'll explain later. Anyway, I opted for something different -- the diplomatic route that noble-types might send their children on so that they don't die in the army with the riff-raff. DM strongly suggested that I would have gotten an adventuring level at this point.

Normal Life

A few years in the past, something mysterious (I actually do not know what) happened to my character. He had to be rescued by the 'FBI'. He was given the option of having his mind erased or working for the organization. Obviously, I didn't choose the former, or I'd be a farmer somewhere. My natural talents can lead me to whichever class I want to apply myself to, but Archivist fits the bill.

[/spoiler]

So as you can see, my military time is what is causing me grief because I couldn't have started off as an archivist, yet feel obliged to create a level for that time spent in service, whether martial or diplomatic. The archivist s an option that only realistically opens up for me when I join the 'FBI' years later. What makes the most sense is that I was off somewhere studying and became an archivist within the past few years when I started to work for this government agency.

This is just me, but did you ask for those restrictions or is the DM just coming down on you?

Originally, my character was supposed to be an NPC, but then the DM had the idea of introducing ME as the NPC so I could play over Skype from time to time (I moved to another state). That then turned into me playing the NPC as a PC for the whole campaign. So all of this is not so much him coming down on me, but rather the price I pay for being an NPC (who had those major elements set in stone) turning into a PC (which means I have to flesh this out). I'm a plot device.

None of the other players have these story restrictions because they were always PCs from the start and they didn't have their part written into the game's exposition. Perhaps a better option would have been to keep the NPC an NPC and I could start from scratch as a PC... then again, now I'm somewhat attached.

paqqy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 01:44:15 PM »
Looks like the Dm has some hate towards you...

Nah. We're good friends. I just posted the rationale behind this in a response to someone else... I was originally a surprise guest playing an NPC, which turned into changing that NPC into a PC for the whole campaign. The book restriction is for everyone.

Out of curiosity, what spells were ''broken'' in spell compendium?

that was like a year ago and I can't remember... :(

Oh, also, befriend an npc druid circle, it's so much easier than researching spells to politely ask them to cast a spell in your scroll. And your church must have adepts, befriend them too. And the druid circle must have some high level rangers, DEFINITELY be chummy with those too.

What I,m trying to say is.... invest a lot of skill points in diplomacy...  and get the guidance of the avatar spell on your spell list....

But of course. That advice is not lost on me!

Also, as you face divine spellcasting adversaries, be ruthless.  If possible, don't kill them, neutralise them and then torture them for additional spells,  they deserve it anyways, and it would fit the ''inquisitorial feel'' of the boccob church.

Torture would be in conflict with my NG alignment. However, I might try to capture them alive so that I can barter with them, perhaps offering the hope of reduced sentencing for their crimes. With that said, my PC won't cast every spell... he would be unable to cast some spells from the generally evil domains, such as Madness. The DM takes that kind of action as an alignment shift, which usually ends up in bad things happening.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »
Bleh, bad things, Dnd morale is so biased ;) :P

well then, it sounds to me like it wouldn't be farfetched to ahve retrained your first level anyways as a level of archivist.  Because let's face it, being forced rp wise to give up a spell level REALLY sucks!!!

paqqy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
well then, it sounds to me like it wouldn't be farfetched to ahve retrained your first level anyways as a level of archivist.  Because let's face it, being forced rp wise to give up a spell level REALLY sucks!!!

I want to ask the DM if in exchange for these restrictions, if he will let me give up my divine caster level from the cleric to cast as my first level were in archivist... if that makes sense.... then I cast my spells as if I was an archivist, forgoing the loss of a spellcaster level

My only other option is to say I did nothing for 30-something years and never gained a level until I started being an archivist. No matter how unlikely that is.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 05:57:08 PM »
Possible fluff you could use to take a level in sacred exorcist could be that your character is a member of an order who specialize in removing possessions, demon infestation, undead infestations and similar problems from places of knowledge so it can be accessed again. Basically Ghostbuster librarians. That would fit the theme of boccob's church and would allow you to do the whole DMM shenanigans.

Hand_of_Vecna

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 09:44:33 PM »
I was about to say something similar. In the pursuit of knowledge priests of Boccob go to some nasty places filled with nasty stuff in search of lost knowledge. So just like typical dungeon crawling adventurers they'd find the exorcist's skills worthwhile. You could then easily explain how you weren't a very good exorcist being archivist based instead of cleric based and you gave it up.

paqqy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
Hi all... Not to bump up an old topic, but I am going to ask for help again.

It's come to my attention that I can only use two books other than the PHB, DMG, and MM 1.  :banghead Another book might become an option, but that decision could go either way. This is in contrast to the original notion that I had of three books. *If* we are allowed another book, it won't be until later in the campaign.

With that said, Heroes of Horror counts as one of my two books, which leaves me with only 1 book to play around with. Almost all of my optimization schemes are down the drain and need to optimize given this 1-book constraint.

• Starting Level = 3
  • Possible books: Complete Champion, Complete Divine, Spell Compendium

The Spell Compendium is good for grabbing spells from Cleric/Druid/Paladin/Ranger spells and some nice domain spells, but with the ability to copy only a few new spells per level and no sure guarantee that I will be finding many scrolls, this might be the most optimal use of a book. Also, there are no prestige classes or feats available in the Spell Compendium, which leaves me with only PHB feats, which I generally don't find all too helpful.

Divine: Contemplative for Domain Access and Sacred Exorcist for Turning Ability + DMM (Quicken or Extend?). Some OK spells to add to my spellbook.

Champion: Knowledge Devotion feat for attack bonuses, Trickery Devotion feat for simulacrum (RAW... sans errata), Lore of The Gods (second level spell that will give me a +10 to all my knowledge checks for 10 min/lvl, which include Dark Knowledge and Knowledge Devotion), plus a few spells.

I'm also thinking that the further book restrictions make the archivist a less-than-optimal choice.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:27:21 PM by paqqy »

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 07:00:38 PM »
I agree that given those restrictions archivist would not be the best choice. You might be better just going normal cleric and selecting complete divine and the spell compendium for your books.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
Tome of Magic is another book to consider.  Binder 1/Archivist 3/Anima Mage 10/Tenebrous Apostate 5/X1 is a great setup, using the divine adaptation of Anima Mage of course.  That lets you have your persistent spells without problems.  Unfortunately, it doesn't do much for your spell selection, but maybe you could eventually get Spell Compendium access.

JaronK