Author Topic: Spells that deserve more attention!  (Read 60361 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Spells that deserve more attention!
« on: December 27, 2009, 03:03:40 AM »
We all know the staple spells. One is mention in almost every topic and lists of them can be found in the Handbooks. This thread is meant to be an index of spells that should be more well known! Be it a crazy gamebreaking spells or something that could be helpful in a common situation, these spells just don't get the attention they deserve. This topic serves not only as a place for showing off great finds, but also as a archive/reference for someone looking to make there spellcaster a little more exotic.

Friendly Fire (4 wizard/druid) - either an immediate action cast or round/level buff, this spell makes you immune to all ranged attacks, including rays. not only are you immune, but you can redirect them to a target within 30 feet. there is no action to redirect either so you can just ignore entire combat styles(Exemplars of Evil)

Pacification (4 bard/ 5 cleric)- No saving throw, concentration up to min/lvl. Acts as Calm emotions spell. cannot affect more HD then you have CL. (DoF)

Threesteel (3 wiz)- Touch one weapon and it splits up into three weapons, which instantly fire at a target, CL as BAB, deal weapon damage. It doesn't seem great until you combine it with Reach and Chain. (aaaah I didn't write down where I found this...)

BATTLE TIDE (5 cleric) this spell has got to be a mistake. You cause -2 on saving thros, attack and damage to CL amount of enemies, will negates. And as long as at least one person is affected by it, you get an extra partial action per turn. This spell becomes SILLY when you combine it with the 20 1HD skeletons in your bag of holding and DMM persist. (LoD)

Skin of the Steel Dragon (wiz 5)- spell resistence for the wizard! immediate action cast and last 1round/3 levels, but if you're using this spell you'll be persisting it. 10+CL. (CoV)

Champions of Ruin has some really strong spells for Archivists. And I mean ridiculous spells.
Arrowsplit (3 assasin, ranger, justice of weald and woe)- swift action split any arrow or bolt into 1d4+1 more. so you can full round attack with that splitting bow... then reach/chain/maximize the spell... and SERIOUSLY unleash some attacks.  Sadly, only works on mundane projectiles.

Doublestrike Attows (4 ranger, justive of weald and woe)- allows you to attack an extra target with another attack roll. if you miss the first you still attack the second.

Shadow Arrow (4 assasin, ranger, justice of weald and woe)- swift action, arrow does 1d6 str damage. no save. once again, reach/chain! But once again, sadly, only works on mundane projectiles.

What spells have you found? And please, don't forget the spell levels and sources!

EDIT: New find:

Darkbolt from SpC. It's a Darkness 5 spell, which means in an Archivist spell. 2d8 blasting, will negates daze, and you can get up to 7 bolts. Bolts can be fired at once, or at any time after casting the spell as a free action. And there is no duration given for how long those last. If you're blasting all at one target they'll need to make 7 will saves.

Fantastic Machine (5 craft/gnome) in SpC is also worth looking at.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 08:38:17 PM by bearsarebrown »

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Spells that deserve more attention!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 04:57:22 AM »
I really like wall of thorns. It just shuts down enemy movement, and debatably freedom of movement as well.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Majere

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 05:39:54 AM »
My beloved Wings of Flurry from RoD is 1d6 of damage per CL, but without any cap.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 06:15:28 AM »
Dude, that spell does *not* need more attention.
---

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities

kobo1d

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 06:43:35 AM »
Curse of the Putrid Husk [BoVD] is a very good save or die at Wiz 3, if you're in to that sort of thing.  :D

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:05:49 AM »
Algid Enhancement isn't seen too often, other than in Mr. Icy Hot.  Absolutely bad ass though with a CL boosting trick.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 08:22:17 AM »
A random (psionic) one that I came across today from Sandstorm: psychic scimitar. Kind of a ho-hum attack power, but it lets you apply touch powers (of 4th level or lower) at medium range.
---

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:43:17 AM »
Bite of the wolf doesn't see much attention, despite only costing 1 pp and autoscaling nicely. Dealing 5d8+Str mod (more if you're larger) for 20 minutes for 1 pp isn't bad at all, even at 20th level.

Fission and fusion don't seem to get much attention either, despite allowing all sorts of dirty, nasty tricks.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Hasmadad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »
Soul Crystal, MoI. Because not only does it let you keep some PP over from previous days, you can pull silly things like giving the tanker combat transformation.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
Control air, the level 2 kineticist power, can be coupled to control wind for some really badass tornadoes.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
Algid Enhancement isn't seen too often, other than in Mr. Icy Hot.  Absolutely bad ass though with a CL boosting trick.

Oh yeah, that one is nuts! With the 110CL monster you created you'll be getting +37 AC, 1d8+37HP, +37 to attack rolls, and +72 on saves against fire spells. Damn!

I've never thought of using it on yourself to 'hide' for a round. that's a good idea!

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
Soul Crystal, MoI. Because not only does it let you keep some PP over from previous days, you can pull silly things like giving the tanker combat transformation.
Ah yes, this one. Not sure why it's in Magic of Incarnum exactly, but it's great for so many things that depend on versatility. Hell, if an erudite can pay the power points, he'll want to manifest this a lot to get around the Unique Powers Per Day restrictions. It also allows you to pull some Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability tricks with your psicrystal. I once remember an arena match (15th-level, gestalt) in which I got off one action against my opponent before he started stunlocking me. He still lost, considering that my Astral Construct and psicrystal were whomping on him.

@ OP: What's EoE?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
I think it is Exemplars of Evil.

I'm a fan of Love's Lament in Spell Compendium. Bard level 3, 60 ft. cone.
Will save vs 1d6 WIS damage and 1d4 rounds nauseated.
Mind affecting and compulsion, but still.

Also Bolt's of Dedevilment, same book, also bard but lvl 5.
1/round per level shoot ranged touch ray.
Will save vs 1d3 rounds stunned.
Mind affecting.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
Also, Player's Guide to Faerun updated (and balanced) Battletide. So no more extra standard actions there.

I can't seem to find Pacification (or whatever it's called) in Defenders of the Faith. Was it in another book? Was the name different? (IMarvinTPA's spell search doesn't mention it.)

I know I've seen Threesteel before, but like you I can't recall the source. Though it was likely something from FR.

Mystic Shield (Anauroch, Sorcerer/Wizard 8) blocks all spells of 6th level and lower against the recipient. Except stuff he casts on himself, which is helpful. It also negates all effects of magic weapons against the target - useful if you have DR/magic.

Srinshee's Spell Shift (Lost Empires of Faerun, Sorcerer/Wizard 9) is really fun if you have the necessary spell slots along with Epic Counterspell (the feat that allows counterspelling without an action). It's just like a Ring of Spell-Battle - but better!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:14:42 PM by NeverGetDrunkButStaySober »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
Harden, from IIRC Eberron Campaign Setting.  Instantaneous effect that increases the hardness of any object by 1/2 CL, uncapped.  If you want something to never be damageable (such as an Item Familiar, a Haunt Shifted minion, someone's primary weapon, etc) just tempoarily boost your caster level with Consumptive Field and then Harden something up until it's virtually impossible to damage.

Righteous Wrath of the Faithful.  Not sure why this doesn't get mentioned more, but it's a persistable spell that hastes your whole party in addition to other benefits.  Yehaw.

True Creation.  If you can get this spell as a spell like, you can have any object you want.  Perfect.

JaronK

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Also, Player's Guide to Faerun updated (and balanced) Battletide. So no more extra standard actions there.

I can't seem to find Pacification (or whatever it's called) in Defenders of the Faith. Was it in another book? Was the name different? (IMarvinTPA's spell search doesn't mention it.)

I know I've seen Threesteel before, but like you I can't recall the source. Though it was likely something from FR.

Good to know about Battletide. Pacification is in Dragons of Faerun. Sorry for the abbreviations I'm going to edit in the full book names. And yes, EoE is Exemplars of Evil.

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »

Good to know about Battletide. Pacification is in Dragons of Faerun. Sorry for the abbreviations I'm going to edit in the full book names. And yes, EoE is Exemplars of Evil.
Found it. Sounds nifty. Threesteel is in the same book, actually, just two pages afterwards.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
Some of these don't deserve more attention per-say, but these are 20 of my favs; most of them well known.
I suppose my list is more based off essential-ness.

In no particular order

Shapechange - PHB
Time Stop - PHB
Celerity/Greater Celerity = PHB2 I think
Arcane Spellsurge - DM
Arcane Fusion/Greater Arcane Fusion - RoDr
Antimagic Field - PHB
Veil of Undeath - SpC
Forcecage - PHB
Eyes of the Oracle - DM
Delay Death - SpC
Maw of Chaos - SpC
Ghostform - SpC
Mordenkainen's Disjunction - PHB
Teleport/Greater Teleport - PHB
Contingency - PHB
Anticipate Teleportation/Anticipate Teleportation Greater - SpC
Orb of Force - SpC
Effulgent Epuration - SpC
Foresight - PHB
True Seeing - PHB

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:49:05 PM by Azrael »

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
DoF?  LoD?  I don;t recognize some of these books.

I also love anticipate teleport.  Good call, ham.

Unluck is my favorite spell.  So much fun.

Also, Otiluke's Supressing Field is excellent in high level/high power games.  Tune it to abjuration, pump your Cl using temp buffs before casting it, and find some way of persisting the sucker....

Then sit back and enjoy your near immunity to being dispelled.  Add dispel ward for an even better defense.  Heck, I think it may even resist anti-magic field (the spell).

Disjunction still kills you though, IIRC.

Evard's Menacing Tentacles is also nice... the tentacles can take AoO's.  Two free AoO's with reach?  Sure they aren't very good AoO's but i'm sure that this can be useful somehow.  (Channel the Storm?)

Cloud of knives is also good, persist it for an extra attack every round at high levels.  If you really want to annoy your DM, also throw in Snowcasting + Energy Sub + born of the Three Thunders.

Fire Shruken (Wu Jen/Assassin), complete arcane, is horribly horribly broken as written.  It's an instantaneous effect.  sortable, effectively permanent weapons I can apply metamagic to (BotTT, Fell Drain,)?  Yes please.