Author Topic: Power Dervish...  (Read 6243 times)

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
Power Dervish...
« on: June 11, 2008, 06:03:34 PM »
For my next character I really want to play a dervish dancing about with a spiked chain tripping and power attacking people.  Is this doable?  If so what's the prefered entry and feat setup?  Almost all books are open and stats tend to 32 pb or better if rolled.  Just entry classes, feat suggestions and ideal races.  Idea farming if you will.  Level would probably be around 8 or 9 to start.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Power Dervish...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »
Unfortunately no. A spiked chain is a piercing weapon and the Dervish works only with Slashing weapons.

A guisarne would work though. You get the reach and the two-handed stuff.
And if you're worried about people getting next to you you can take the feat Short haft to threaten then still.

A power dancer like this is pretty nifty. My personal favored entry is Warblade 2, barbarian 1, fighter 2 and then on to warblade.
Human works well because of the feat. You'll need at least int 13 for the combat expertise.

I would suggest you to post a basic writeup of the build so the optimizers here can tell you how to improve it further.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:42:45 PM »
Why not use a kusari-gama from the DMG? It's a one-handed spiked chain that deals slashing damage.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:59:29 PM »
Hmm... I could probably get the DM to have a spiked chain that does slashing damage with a little diplomacy.  Ftr 2/ Barbarian (whirling frenzy, lion totem (CC), wolf totem, UA) 2/ Warblade 1 does seem the strongest entry.  Goliath if LA buyoff (powerful build) or human seems best.  Flaws are probably an option.

Where is Guisarne printed?  Can I trip with it?  I need a reach weapon I can trip with that deals slashing.  Two handed prefered.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 12:01:32 AM »
Have you checked the Exotic Weapons that are Worth It thread over on 339?
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 12:13:38 AM »
Hmm... I could probably get the DM to have a spiked chain that does slashing damage with a little diplomacy.  Ftr 2/ Barbarian (whirling frenzy, lion totem (CC), wolf totem, UA) 2/ Warblade 1 does seem the strongest entry.  Goliath if LA buyoff (powerful build) or human seems best.  Flaws are probably an option.

Where is Guisarne printed?  Can I trip with it?  I need a reach weapon I can trip with that deals slashing.  Two handed prefered.

Guisarme is on the PHB or here.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:37:31 AM »
*Facepalm*

I'd always assumed that that page only contained about 8 weapons (seriously, I consistently reuse the same ones).  Thanks.  I doubt I'll bother with short haft.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:36 AM »
Maneuvers and stances:
Stance: Stonefoot Stance may or may not be worth the str check bonus.  Leading the charge is worth considering with pounce.  Punishing stance is a last option.  I'd like input on which of the 3 to take.
Maneuvers: Wall of blades for sure.  Battle leader's charge is considered.  Mountain hammer is considered.  Douse the flames is considered.

How would you take the 3 maneuvers and stance?

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:08:41 AM »
Stonefoot stance ends once you move more then 5 feet if I recall correctly.

With the Dervish you're going to wind up charging a lot less because its not compatible with your dance.
Moment of precient mind (AKA concentration instead of will save) is definately worth considering.

I would recommend wielding the gama 2-handed for a better power attack ratio of course.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:30:12 AM »
Maneuvers and stances:
Stance: Stonefoot Stance may or may not be worth the str check bonus.  Leading the charge is worth considering with pounce.  Punishing stance is a last option.  I'd like input on which of the 3 to take.
Maneuvers: Wall of blades for sure.  Battle leader's charge is considered.  Mountain hammer is considered.  Douse the flames is considered.

How would you take the 3 maneuvers and stance?

Maneuvers:
-Moment of Perfect Mind (Concentration instead of Will), or Mind over Body (Concentration instead of Fortitude, considering that Will is a good save for Dervish)
-Wall of Blades
-Sudden Leap
Stance: Punishing Stance

Even though Punishing Stance reduces your AC, +1d6 damage while dancing can be useful.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »
Sudden leap needs another TC maneuver.  I'm feeling:
Punishing Stance, Wall of Blades, Moment of Perfect Mind, Mind over Body.

Fort save should be plenty.  AC, ref, and will get counters.  Not totally sure on punishing (CE for 2 puts me at less damage than PA for two minus the stance), but it's really my best option.  A shame stonefoot ends if I move 5'.  The trip check could use it.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
If the Kusari-Gama is allowed and is 1-handed wouldn't that be a nice weapon to use with EWM for the extra +0.5 STR to damage?

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
If the Kusari-Gama is allowed and is 1-handed wouldn't that be a nice weapon to use with EWM for the extra +0.5 STR to damage?
I want to be two handing for PA.  There's a good chance of me convincing the DM to let me deal slashing with spiked chain for flurry of strikes though.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 03:12:22 PM »
I want to be two handing for PA.  There's a good chance of me convincing the DM to let me deal slashing with spiked chain for flurry of strikes though.
Yeah. That's the point. If you use a 1 handed and hold it two handed and dip Exotic Weapon Master, you get an EXTRA 0.5 Str to damage, so 2x Str instead of 1.5x Str
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
That makes sense.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
It would take several feats to achieve, since it is a desert wind maneuver, but Desert Tempest (Desert Wind 6) is perfect thematically for a Dervish, and would allow you to maintain your fighting style after your dervish dances run out for the day.

Just a thought.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 05:52:53 PM »
It would take several feats to achieve, since it is a desert wind maneuver, but Desert Tempest (Desert Wind 6) is perfect thematically for a Dervish, and would allow you to maintain your fighting style after your dervish dances run out for the day.

Just a thought.
A little feat intensive for my tastes, but a pair of desert wind items could grab flashing sun 1/enconter for 6k gp.  I don't expect to reach level 15.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »
Are there any other ACFs I should be using?  AFB ATM, but I'm considering the DotU dex to damage ACF.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 08:11:55 AM »
Are there any other ACFs I should be using?  AFB ATM, but I'm considering the DotU dex to damage ACF.
The DoTU Fighter Sub a given if you go Dervish since Dervish can't wear Heavy Armor anyways (of course, you need to get the ACF accepted for non-Drow). +2 to Initiative and Dex to damage if you win Initiative is pretty friggin' amazing even if not TWFing.

You could potentially consider Martial Rogue 2; it would cost you a point of BAB, but it would give you Evasion and two more feats (and a Dervish can't have too many). Oh yeah, you'd also get nice skills and Trapfinding/ACF (for example, Poison Use from DoTU). But it would push the entry to level 7 over the normal level 6 (probably Martial Rogue 2/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1/Warblade 1).

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
Sorry do derail your thread, uber...
(of course, you need to get the ACF accepted for non-Drow).
Nope. That is incorrect. Alternate class features are not substitution levels. They are two completely different things. Yes, substitution levels are for a specific race. However, there is no restriction on an Alternate Class Feature other than that you must be at a certain level in a certain class. Race never comes into play.  I see this brought up so many times, when it's just not the case.  For further clarification:
Quote from: Drow of the Underdark p. 57
Alternative class features have no prerequisites; you simply select them at the proper levels in lieu of selecting the standard class features.

But yes, Hit and Run Tactics ACF is awesome.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook