Author Topic: The Most Adaptable Party  (Read 5943 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Most Adaptable Party
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 12:53:10 AM »
Note that the OP asked that this be done without powerful spellcasting, so using Cleric here is basically cheating.

Of course, Factotums cast spells too, but that's not all they do.

JaronK

Gnorman

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • I'm a monster. Rawr.
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 12:56:24 AM »
I've always been fond of:

Druid
Cleric or Archivist
Beguiler
Conjurer

None of these gets pinned down into any one role.  All are full casters.  The group can adapt pretty well in any given combat, and remarkably well given a day's notice.

Seconded. You don't need a meatshield because A.) you have a druid and B.) your conjurer can create his own meatshields. Trapfinding and face-duty is taken care of by the beguiler. You have enough skill points (and varying class skills) between the four of you to do pretty much whatever the hell you want. The Druid handles survival and nature-based skills. The Conjurer does all the knowledge-monkeying. The Cleric does whatever his domains encourage him to do, or becomes another knowledge-monkey if he's an Archivist (you can never have too many knowledge monkeys). The Beguiler does everything else.

SR should pose no problem, since the Conjurer's packing a metric crapton of SR: No spells. Three outta four are capable summoners - the cleric should concentrate on building up an army of walking dead, the druid brings in a pissed-off animal platoon, while the Conjurer bends planar denizens to his will.

Of course, if you want me to answer the ACTUAL question, it comes down to:

Factotum (most flexible base class in the game)
Binder (second-most flexible)
Bard (hey, jacks-of-all-trades are known for their adaptability)
Artificer (arguably not dependent on high-level spellcasting).

They all have tons of skills, at least two have permanent trapfinding (while another can get it). Each one has some spellcasting (nothing that really breaks the game, though, except for possibly the Artificer) and decent combat ability (all having at least medium progression). You could easily replace any of them with a Beguiler, since they're not exactly a tier 1 caster to begin with and are incredibly versatile as well, but they do rely on their spells and so I did not include them in the primary list.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:59:18 AM by Gnorman »

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 01:23:23 AM »
4 barbarians

The solution to every problem is to smash

I like it!

1 Champion of Gwynharwyf
1 Rage Mage
1 Frenzied Beserker
1 Barbarian/Savage Bard/War Chanter

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »
Note that the OP asked that this be done without powerful spellcasting, so using Cleric here is basically cheating.
I totally missed that line.  I guess that invalidates my party.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
no high power casters?

Hmn...

Incarnate
Binder
Factotum
Bard

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
Clerics are spiffy, but their spells are meant to heal/buff the party/rebuked undead, letting Clerics be single-classed gishes.

A Wizard with the proper spell preps can either end battles or trivialize them sooner than the Cleric, though he lacks DMM.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
Hmm...how about :

Factotum : Absolutely anything with proper abuse of their capstone

Totemist : Melee, scout, ranged (since the Facty can reformat his feats at a moments notice if need be, he can swap between melee and ranged feats even), skillmonkey

Mystic Ranger : Same as the Facty, he's a one man army.

Binder : Capable of filling all kinds of roles, and the one hard one (trap finder) is easily done by the other three.  Hell, if binders can summon at all, they've got that covered too (gogo Dead Celestial Monkey!)
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »
Yeah, I suppose
Factotum
Factotum/Chameleon
Sharn Mystic Theurge or Factotum
Spellthief (using bloodline + uncanny trickster + legacy champion to steal 9th level slas)

Is probably the most adaptable.

Spellthief + sharn = as many favored soul /sorcerer SLAs as you want. 
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »
Hmm...how about :

Totemist : Melee, scout, ranged (since the Facty can reformat his feats at a moments notice if need be, he can swap between melee and ranged feats even), skillmonkey

Binder : Capable of filling all kinds of roles, and the one hard one (trap finder) is easily done by the other three.  Hell, if binders can bind the proper vestige to summon at all, they've got that covered too (gogo Dead Celestial Psuedonatural Monkey!)
Fixed for ya.  Zercyll is wonderful like that.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »
Hmm...how about :

Binder : Capable of filling all kinds of roles, and the one hard one (trap finder) is easily done by the other three.  Hell, if binders can bind the proper vestige to summon at all, they've got that covered too (gogo Dead Celestial Psuedonatural Monkey!)

Cool, something to remember for my Erudite if he feels like being fancy about his spells for the day (i.e. Linked Power ~> Converted Miracle from a Mantle ~> Emulate binding with a free greater effect).  Pseudonatural works even better too, what with all the tentacles :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
Hmm...how about :

Actually they end up being Celestial and Psuedonatural due to the way zercyll is written.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:05 AM »
I personally enjoy a swordsage/factotum (/chameleon)/shaper (/constructor)/druid group. Granted, it has a mix of tiers 1, 2, and 3, but it's capable of getting anywhere and doing anything, and only the druid is an actual spellcaster (psionics =/= spells). :P
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 12:34:31 AM »
Hmm...how about :

Cool, something to remember for my Erudite if he feels like being fancy about his spells for the day (i.e. Linked Power ~> Converted Miracle from a Mantle ~> Emulate binding with a free greater effect).  Pseudonatural works even better too, what with all the tentacles :P
Keep in mind it's the Psudonatural template in Complete Arcane, not ELH.

But yeah, Zercyll is absolutely amazing.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.