Author Topic: PF Drow Summoner  (Read 4096 times)

Zax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
PF Drow Summoner
« on: December 14, 2009, 08:09:55 PM »
Hi all,

I'm about to start in a campaign where all players are Drow. I believe we get the LA for free, but either way the restriction is there (must be drow) so that's what I have to work with.

I've looked to see if there has been discussion on optimizing the PF Summoner class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/summoner) and could find nothing noteworthy (was hoping for a handbook, but alas...)

I feel the class benefits most from not multiclassing (given the non-standard nature of the eidolon, nothing will progress it), but I would take a 1 level dip if it's good enough, I just can't think of anything worthwhile.

In the feat department, there are a couple of feats I might take for flavor reasons, but nothing that increases the power of the class. Augment summoning is a great choice, but with the requirement of Sp Focus (Conj), it's a hefty investment. I would ideally look for things that increase the combat power of both/either the eidolon or summoned monsters... I'm just at a bit of a loss. Should I maybe just focus on making my character itself better at combat?

So basically, I'm looking for ideas - I feel I need to add something somewhere, but am at a bit of a loss. I suppose I could go knowledge devotion and max out knowledge skills for a bit of combat power, but that's pretty limited (esp since I'll mostly be casting summons). Maybe archery? I'm proficient with the hand crossbow.... hehe

Basic playstyle will be: send eidolon, summon, act as support combat (either melee or ranged... thankyou 3/4 bab), and maybe backup healer with wand.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Re: PF Drow Summoner
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:52:18 AM »
You forgot to mention starting level.  And sources.  All 3.5 material open?  Pathfinder exclusive?  It makes a big difference.

And if this isn't all 3.5 open, get Augment Summons.  The Spell Focus investment is nothing, and you'll probably make decent use of it anyways through Glitterdust and Grease.  You need Augment Summons.

Now, for your eidolon, I suggest a tentacle rapist.  Keep it big, strong, with multiple either multiple tentacle attacks or multiple pincer attacks, improved and greater grapple, and Grab linked to either the tentacles or the pincers.  Pincers grant the +2 grapple, but you can get more tentacle attacks.  You may want to start with tentacle attacks at lower levels, then switch to pincers.

Alternately, another fun option is multiwielding.  An eight-armed (or more) eidolon with multiweapon fighting quadruple-wielding longbows.  That, my friend, is awesome.  Horribly impractical without work, but awesome all the same.

Zax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:12:28 AM »
heh, thanks. I was going to try and keep it to a spider theme (base on quadruped but have it have the extra 4 legs for flavor - no extra benefit), but it always ends up a suckier choice than some other options.

Sorry, I used to post on the CO boards at wizards a while ago but never needed to really ask for help, so the posting guidelines have slipped a little from my memory :) I had intended to mention starting level in the part I talked about the drow LA for free, but forgot... starting level is 2.

I believe all 3.5 is open. Dragon and online content has been used in campaigns with this DM before so it's probably fair game. I personally have always liked to keep to 3.5 material, though since this is my first time in pathfinder I decided to try something really different :)

To be honest, I did give more thought to augment summoning since I posted. It is a solid choice, but I realized that my aversion is mostly based on not having a bonus feat at 1st - my trend has always been to start with humans at low levels, and take other races when starting higher... I guess it just irks me to be low on options/customization

I probably need to change my thinking :)

So, number 1 choice so far is SpFoc(conj) + Augment Summoning.

Would anyone happen to have other ideas?

DerWille

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 04:34:09 AM »
Now, for your eidolon, I suggest a tentacle rapist. 

Dude, if I was playing, that would be my eidolon. Can you imagine the role play?

Summoner: "I suggest you tell us what we want to know."
Prisoner: "No! Never! The Red Hand will crush you all!"
Summoner: "Oh? But will before my friend gets to you?"
Prisoner: "What friend!?"
Eidolon: *squick* *squick*
Summoner: "It's play time."
Eidolon: *squick* squick* *squick*
Prisoner: "Nooo~~~~!"

Apples

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:30:45 PM »
I'm about to start in a campaign where all players are Drow. I believe we get the LA for free, but either way the restriction is there (must be drow)
Just a note, pathfinder drow have no level/CR adjustment. Only "Noble Drow" do.

zavule

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »
... I think you can get 5 attacks from your critter at 1st level.  And pounce.  I don't think you need to be good at combat.  It'll just rend anything apart that even gets near you.  Take the quadruped eidolon.  He gets a bite and two sets of legs for free.  You have three evolution points.  take claws twice, one for each set of legs and pounce.  Now your critter jumps on something and claw, claw, claw, claw, bite.  You should just sit back, summon a bunch of monsters and let them do your dirty work... or really, help your eidolon do your dirty work as he's going to be tearing things up left and right.
DM: The iron door is enchanted with a powerful anti-magic barrier.
Zavy: The door itself?
DM: Yes.
Zavy: I get acid flasks and a pry bar.  I just found myself a new tower shield.

Zax

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:29:32 AM »
Good point on the 5 attacks :)

@Apples - yeah thanks I saw that not long after posting, and I've passed that on to the DM.