Author Topic: Swordsage/Iaijutsu Master build help  (Read 19149 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: lv1, 2 traits, 2 flaws, factotum help, tough campaign.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:35 AM »
Isn't it a bad thing to be considered unarmed during your opponents turn?  You don't threaten and can't make AoO's

You have a katana in your other hand.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 04:51:53 AM »
Because wearing a Spiked Gauntlet or Armor Spikes is hard? Or just getting IUS? Any good warrior is never disarmed, unless he's dismembered.

I like the Marbles, Grease, Hide In Plain Sight, Invisibility, Stunning and other status effects for this. Stun is easy to do with spells.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 05:00:47 AM »
Don't htink invisibility works.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »
Greater Blink is the best if you can 'afford' it. IMO.

xeno121

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 05:19:53 AM »
/facepalm can't believe I forgot about armor spikes, I just realized their awesomeness for such things about a week ago.

I figure 8 minimum Factotum levels to be effective.
5 minimum Iaijutsu Master
Chameleon I'm not so sure about, which the better class choice between factotum and chameleon after you have 8 levels of factotum?
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 05:41:20 AM »
Chameleon is probably better, even though the level 11 ability for Factotum is very nice.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

xeno121

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 05:50:38 AM »
So, I go 8 factotum, Iaijutsu Master 5, finish with Chameleon?

I rolled 13, 11, 17, 12, 16, 14, should I arrange it INT>DEX>CHA>CON>WIS>STR?

Chameleon needs wisdom and IM gives Weapon Finesse with the Katana, I could use Aptitude Quick Razors to finesse them as well.

I was thinking of taking Magic Blooded(Spark) for the +2cha, -2wis, I only need wisdom after I start taking chameleon levels and that is level 13, I'll have more than enough money for a +2/4 wis item combined with ability boon will easily make up for any deficiencies in my WIS score.  I am slightly concerned with the fact I'm getting 2nd level spells at level 13 which aren't going to be very useful, or useful at all.

I'm obviously missing what makes the Chameleon uber for this build.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:20:49 AM by xeno121 »
First off, the Joker is a smooth operator. He is very good at convincing people of things, twisting them to further his goals. This is the guy who turned Harvy Dent into Two Face with a simple Bluff check and ten minutes of RP.

ShneekeyTheLost

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 06:28:11 AM »
Go to middle aged to get +1 to all mental and -1 to all physical stats.
Planetouched Handbook

xeno121

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 07:24:49 AM »
should I go Unseelie Fey, +1d6 against you from iron or steel weapons seems to be very dangerous at low levels though.

ShneekeyTheLost

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 07:31:14 AM »
Well, if you get wings you'll be pretty much impossible to hit with metal weapons except arrows and bolts.  If that's the case, taking air devotion or getting some decent armor would be mostly sufficient to protect you.
Planetouched Handbook

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 07:34:17 AM »
That would be a concern, yes. Still worth it. With great power, comes great danger. AC is easy to optimize at low levels, though, and as mentioned, Flight + Air Devotion or Deflect Arrows is good.

xeno121

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
The DM had us roll stats using 1d8+10, and I'll be real here, I rocked those rolls out.

17, 16, 16, 15, 15, 12.  Epic.
Unseelie Fey: -2 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON, +2 CHA. Bird Wings, (Summer Caress or Winter Chill), low-light vision
Magic-Blooded +2 CHA -2 WIS

Traits: Aggressive, illiterate
Flaws: Vulnerable, (Shaky or Pathetic -2 CHA)

STR:(13)15-2
DEX:(18)16+2
CON:(14)16-2
INT:17
WIS:(10)12-2
CHA:(19)15+4

Should I spend a point increasing CHA at some point, or switch WIS and CHA to make it an even number and give me a better will save, or just leave it at 19?

I'm a little disappointed in the 13 STR since I was planning on Iaijutsu focusing my way to victory.  Perhaps Switch DEX and STR and bump Dex at 8th.  Or should I spend a feat on Weapon Finesse for the Gnomish Quickrazors, does aptitude apply to Iaijutsu Master's Katana Weapon Finesse? 

Between Summer's Caress: Magic Circle against Evil(all alignments excludes certain creatures)  or Winter's Chill (5ft Morale Penalty to saves aura based on CHA mod) I'm thinking Summer's Caress for the AC/Saves Bonus. 

Feats:
lv1: Able Learner
flaw1: Quick Draw
flaw2: Weapon Focus: Katana
Human: Font of Inspiration

I figure weapon focus is better at lower levels so take it early for an effective +2 STR.  From here should I just stack FoI?  Do I need EWP: Katana or should I just stick to wielding it with 2 hands?  Any other good feats I should work towards?

Isn't it a bad thing to be considered unarmed during your opponents turn?  You don't threaten and can't make AoO's

To do this requires EWP:Katana, and wouldn't I take TWF Penalties for wielding 2 weapons? 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 02:01:52 PM by xeno121 »

ShneekeyTheLost

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 02:28:45 PM »

To do this requires EWP:Katana, and wouldn't I take TWF Penalties for wielding 2 weapons? 

You only take TWF penalties if you attack with both weapons at once - i.e., use them to gain more attacks than you would usually be allowed. And you don't really *need* EWP, you can just two-hand your katana when you're not using your quickrazor. Note that your quickrazor is sheathed whenever you aren't attacking, so you actually have your main hand free most of the time.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 02:32:47 PM »
The point of holding the katana is that you get all the sweet Iajutsu benefits. But the katana is in your offhand, and you never attack with it. So, no penalties.

TT30

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2009, 02:48:48 PM »
Big problem with that build is that it is nearly useless until level 13. If you start from level 1, you will be practically useless very long time.

Smaller problem is that quick draw and weapon focus borh require base attack bonus at least 1

xeno121

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
Big problem with that build is that it is nearly useless until level 13. If you start from level 1, you will be practically useless very long time.

Smaller problem is that quick draw and weapon focus borh require base attack bonus at least 1
  Argh, totally forgot that. :(

Unseelie Fey isn't allowed, the dragon magazine doesn't actually list an LA for it, not to mention it's suspiciously powerful for an LA+0.

Magic-Blooded is still in since it specifically states LA+0.

No quick draw or Weapon Focus. Damn.

Okay, this can be salvaged.

17, 16, 16, 15, 15, 12.  Epic.
Magic-Blooded +2 CHA -2 WIS

Traits: Aggressive, illiterate
Flaws: Vulnerable, (Shaky or Pathetic -2 CHA)

HP: 8+CON

STR:15
DEX:16
CON:16
INT:17
WIS:(10)12-2
CHA:(17)15+2

+2 to hit for melee.  Should I just switch Dex and STR switch CON and CHA, or STR and CON.

Feats:
lv1: Imp. Init
Flaw:EWP Gnome Quickrazor
Flaw: Font of Inspiration
Human: Able Learner
lv3. Quick Draw
lv6. WF: Katana
lv9+: Font of Inspiration

I'm still curious if you take TWF penalties if you have the quickrazor strapped to your offhand but only attack with your offhand weapon and not your main hand(or vice versa)

ShneekeyTheLost

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
I'm still curious if you take TWF penalties if you have the quickrazor strapped to your offhand but only attack with your offhand weapon and not your main hand(or vice versa)
Already answered. No, you only take TWF penalties if you're actually using both weapons to attack.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

xeno121

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 03:49:36 PM »
Already answered. No, you only take TWF penalties if you're actually using both weapons to attack.
totally missed that post.  Where should I fit in EWP: Katana so I can wield it one handed?

ShneekeyTheLost

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »
totally missed that post.  Where should I fit in EWP: Katana so I can wield it one handed?
Nowhere. Why would you want to use it? You've got your great quickrazor, and when it's sheathed and you want to make AoOs, just twohand the damn thing. :D
You don't need EWP just to hold the katana in your hand. That would be silly. You do need it if you want to attack with it one-handed (without taking a -4), but why would you want to?

xeno121

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2009, 04:47:06 PM »
Nowhere. Why would you want to use it? You've got your great quickrazor, and when it's sheathed and you want to make AoOs, just twohand the damn thing. :D
You don't need EWP just to hold the katana in your hand. That would be silly. You do need it if you want to attack with it one-handed (without taking a -4), but why would you want to?
OH.  That totally makes sense now, missed the nuance on how you can do that.  I've never thought of using a weapon without being proficient  so when I read it I assumed proficiency was a prerequisite to one handing it, not merely taking away the -4.  Awesome.

*insert "The More You Know" banner and sound effect*

Though I'm still wondering where to best put my stats.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:35:58 PM by xeno121 »

ShneekeyTheLost