Author Topic: Reserves of Strength  (Read 10718 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Reserves of Strength
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
What he meant is that Fireball isn't a spell that these boards really use.  Shapechange, on the other hand, is.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
Shapechange does depend on HD, alter self, however, depends on CL.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:05 PM »
Shapechange is much more epic an win than fireball.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

rubberduck

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • my stuff
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:23 AM »
I cannot agree more to this statement.
currently i am playing a psion with overchannel and metamorphosis and
i am really getting on my DM's tits^^

with things like rust-monster or collossal remorhaz (achived with expansion)
or the classic 12 headed hydra
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:36:20 AM by rubberduck »
best online-comics i know: http://lfgcomic.com/ http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
Looking for players? http://spielerzentrale.de/

me fail english? that's unpossible!
fear my new god! DARTH GOKUVERINE
poor literacy is kewl

Absolon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
Shapechange is much more epic an win than fireball.

It is indeed, but what about Polymorph Any Object?  If you can lift the cap on it from a max of 15 to HD=CL straight up, what kinds of creatures become available?  I say this only because of the clause in PAO that allows you to have the Int score of the target creature/object.  Then, all you have to do (especially if you're a wizard) is use Reserves of Strength on PAO and then have a big CL and pick some creature that has the highest Int score you can find, use PAO twice to make it permanent, and then use Shapechange for all your other needs (offense and defense).

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
River's Ravages
Epic freaking pwnage.

A 2 year old Loredrake Steel Dragon Sorcerer 1 (5hd/2la/cl4) is ECL 6 after LA Buyoff.
1. If it were to cast River's Ravages(rr) using Reserves of Strength's(ros) it ages 14 years.
2. At age 16 it is Young, thus giving it an additional +4 levels of spellcasting for 8 in total.
3. Using it's new spell access it casts Bestow Curse aging it to Juvenile (26yrs) and again, +2 levels of casting for a total of +6.
4. It recasts RR, caster level is (4 base + 6 age + 3 ros) so the spell is now giving +26 years rather than +14.
5. It chooses to apply Bestow Curse's penalty after RR as it is stacked favorably that way making it a Young Adult (51yrs).
6. Again, +2 levels of casting. It has in total access to 6th level spells now.
It has the same +6 spellcaster level mod the illegal Loredrake Dragonwought Kobold would have if it were a White Dragonspawn Abomination that some how rolled out a double roll and then triple spellcasting. Only it's legal and doesn't require borked rolling.

Not broken enough? I can do one better.
Do the trick two levels later in the game(or at least find a +2cl booster somewhere) and buy a Runestaff with Hasten The End. This time around use your bonus HD to nab the Swift Concentration skill trick and Versatile Spellcaster which you'll use to combine two 7th level spell slots to cast the 8th level Hasten spell. Concentrate until you are a Great Wyrm, then at this point either make up an Epic Spell with a spellcraft check of 0 to keep your old age or cast an Extended River's Ravages for +52 years of age, apply Bestow curse and a Greater Bestow Curse mimicing but stacking with the first curse to have 52 rounds of being a Mature Adult. Which is really nice since you have 22 racial HD so you can still snag Epic Spellcasting and can open up to the use of the casting delay mitigation to create some forced age effect in case you are having trouble with mitigation using Hasten.

ECL8 before casting, epic pwnage afterwards. That is the power of a True Dragon.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
River's Ravages
Epic freaking pwnage.

A 2 year old Loredrake Steel Dragon Sorcerer 1 (5hd/2la/cl4) is ECL 6 after LA Buyoff.
1. If it were to cast River's Ravages(rr) using Reserves of Strength's(ros) it ages 14 years.
2. At age 16 it is Young, thus giving it an additional +4 levels of spellcasting for 8 in total.
3. Using it's new spell access it casts Bestow Curse aging it to Juvenile (26yrs) and again, +2 levels of casting for a total of +6.
4. It recasts RR, caster level is (4 base + 6 age + 3 ros) so the spell is now giving +26 years rather than +14.
5. It chooses to apply Bestow Curse's penalty after RR as it is stacked favorably that way making it a Young Adult (51yrs).
6. Again, +2 levels of casting. It has in total access to 6th level spells now.
It has the same +6 spellcaster level mod the illegal Loredrake Dragonwought Kobold would have if it were a White Dragonspawn Abomination that some how rolled out a double roll and then triple spellcasting. Only it's legal and doesn't require borked rolling.

Not broken enough? I can do one better.
Do the trick two levels later in the game(or at least find a +2cl booster somewhere) and buy a Runestaff with Hasten The End. This time around use your bonus HD to nab the Swift Concentration skill trick and Versatile Spellcaster which you'll use to combine two 7th level spell slots to cast the 8th level Hasten spell. Concentrate until you are a Great Wyrm, then at this point either make up an Epic Spell with a spellcraft check of 0 to keep your old age or cast an Extended River's Ravages for +52 years of age, apply Bestow curse and a Greater Bestow Curse mimicing but stacking with the first curse to have 52 rounds of being a Mature Adult. Which is really nice since you have 22 racial HD so you can still snag Epic Spellcasting and can open up to the use of the casting delay mitigation to create some forced age effect in case you are having trouble with mitigation using Hasten.

ECL8 before casting, epic pwnage afterwards. That is the power of a True Dragon.

Technically, you end up LA - , and thus turn into an NPC  :P

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2010, 01:48:25 PM »
Well there are abilities in the game that give the benefits of templates that are normally not allowed for characters, like Zceryll which gives the pseudonatural template, this does not make your character an NPC.

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
Well there are abilities in the game that give the benefits of templates that are normally not allowed for characters, like Zceryll which gives the pseudonatural template, this does not make your character an NPC.

I'm just countering shenanigans with more shenanigans.

Shenanigans!

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »

I'm just countering shenanigans with more shenanigans.

Shenanigans!
Still a magically aged wyrmling dragon would be a neat villain to have in a game, they would have all the power of an old dragon with all of the maturity of what likely amounts to a human 6 year old. And if you defeat him by breaking the curses he is under after a long and arduous quest to figure out how, the PCs could just squash him, that would be very satisfying.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2010, 10:21:44 AM »
Still a magically aged wyrmling dragon would be a neat villain to have in a game, they would have all the power of an old dragon with all of the maturity of what likely amounts to a human 6 year old. And if you defeat him by breaking the curses he is under after a long and arduous quest to figure out how, the PCs could just squash him, that would be very satisfying.
+1
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »
+1

Nice  :)

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2010, 09:07:11 PM »
+1

Nice  :)
Yeah it is really. The 12th~13th level PCs need receive a kill the evil dragon overlord quest. They learn in town that the evil 'Old' dragon came from the wizard's tower and the wizard had been experimenting with it. Contact Dead reveals the dragon used to be the wizard's familiar, which meant it was less than Young and in player who puts two and two together realizes those experiments meant to make it more powerful and ended up forcibly aging it. Little Divination later they learn they need...
Remove Curse: Removes Bestow Curse's +1 Age Category.
A picture of the dragon's true form: Removes Greater Bestow Curse's +2 Age Category, the effect is like Dorian Grey's thing, one look undoes it.
Greater Dispel Magic: Removes River's Ravages, which as the BBEG always has the opportunity to cast it before the fight.
Which puts two casters to use and a 3rd PC holding a picture screaming look at me to use in the first round massively debuffing the dragon down from Old (say red dragon for cr20) to a less than decent BBEG level. It leaves some room for them to skip some but not all of the debuffing.

Be sure to say the red dragon has Mantle Of The Icy Spirit(fb) to avoid Shivering Touch overkill.
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2010, 12:00:36 AM »
This is like the freaking missing link of templates. Why? Check out the type change

I'm seriously considering a type change thread (not the "master"  :lol template thread) to mirror that old chaining ACF thread
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2010, 01:44:38 AM »
This is like the freaking missing link of templates. Why? Check out the type change

I'm seriously considering a type change thread (not the "master"  :lol template thread) to mirror that old chaining ACF thread

That is one of the nicer applications of that particular vestige, combined with Karsus lets you use magic items as a wizard you could easily do various alter self and polymorph abuses.

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2010, 04:41:35 AM »
Can someone tell me the requirements for obtaining this feat? I don't have the book its from, and my internet resource failed me.
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2010, 05:50:20 AM »
Iron Will and Caster Level 1

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
Thanks, I'm now off to build this into an e6 character.  :lmao
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing