Author Topic: The Leader Build (or The Death Metal Bard)  (Read 6403 times)

fun_at_funerals

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • A humble mage with apocalyptic aspirations
    • Email
The Leader Build (or The Death Metal Bard)
« on: November 29, 2009, 04:49:51 AM »
A friend and I were trying to come up with a leader build for an upcoming campaign we were both preparing for and were trying to figure out how to incorporate the the following essential characteristics into a build: (1) capable of effectively coordinating his team's response to any situation or threat, (2) capable of motivating and empowering his allies/subordinates, and (3) whose power is only realized in the context of a team effort.

As such, we came up with the following build that, for us anyway, epitomizes the archetype of THE LEADER. You will be able to grant allies bonus feats, extra attacks, free metamagic for mages, bonuses to stats, and coordinate their battle tactics to devastating effect. Oh, and did we mention they also get 18d6 sonic damage with every hit?

The only real downside is that we have to resort to some Dragon Magazine material, so not all DM's may approve.

Human Crusader 6/Stalwart Sorcerer 1/Heartfire Fanner 5 (DraMag #314)/Crusader 8
---- Crusader 6
ECL 1 - Negotiator, Skill Focus: Perform
ECL 3 - Power Attack
---- Stalwart Sorcerer 1
ECL 6 - Draconic Heritage (Battle Dragon - Sonic and add Perform as a class skill)
---- Heartfire Fanner 5
ECL 9 - Song of the White Raven
ECL 12 - Dragonfire Inspiration
---- Crusader 8
ECL 15 - Words of Creation
ECL 18 - Chaos Music (DraMag #326)

On Feats: If we can gain access to Heward's Hall (CS), we can gain Words of Creation sooner and gain some space in our feat progression for Song of the Heart (ECS) to further increase our Inspire Courage bonus.

Essential Items:
- Harmonizing Crystal Echo Blades (1/2 Bard level as sonic damage plus allows Bardic Music to continue for 10 rounds after singing)
- Badge of Valor (+1 to Inspire Courage bonus)
- Vest of Legends (+5 to bard level for determining bonuses of Bardic Music)

Features:
---- Dragonfire Inspiration and Draconic Heritage allow this character and his allies to deal a total of 14d6 Sonic Damage with every attack.
= Total Bard Level = 10 Bard level (Heartfire Fanner, 5 at 1st level + 5 from class levels) + 14 Crusader + 5 Vest of Legends + 4 Chaos Music = 33
= Inspire Courage [+6 (Bard levels) +1 (Badge of Valor) +2 (Heartfire Fanner: Bolster Courage)] x 2 (Words of Creation) = 18
= Dragonfire Inspiration = 18d6 Sonic damage (for 1 lucky ally) and 14d6 Sonic damage (for everyone else and yourself)
---- Awesome Heartfire Fanner Class features gives our entire party some awesome perks
- Inspired Fight - grants allies subject to Bardic Music 3 bonus feats! This allows your team to be incredible versatile, allowing them to respond to most threats by granting them the feats and abilities needed to effectively respond to the situation!
- Magic Flare - allow mages to cast spells with spontaneously applied metamagic feats (up to +2 SLA) without any adjustment!
- Bolster Courage - whenever you use your Bardic Music, one lucky ally gets an additional +2 to Attack and AC and bring his sonic damage from Dragonfire Inspiration up to 18d6!

Thanks to Heartfire Fanner, we function as a 10 level bard (default 5 level for not initially being a bard +5 from class levels). With Chaos Music (essentially Practiced Spell Caster for Bards) we function as a 14th Level Bard, so we never have to worry about running out of uses.

For maneuvers and spells, we finish with a total IL of 17, granting us a single 9th level maneuver. Spellwise, we only count as a 6th level sorcerer, allowing us some 3rd level spells.

Spells: Focus only on buffing and some requisite gish spells that remain useful regardless of caster level.
1st - True Strike (for more Power Attacking goodness), Benign Transposition (need more beat sticks to make use of the song? No problem!), Nerveskitter (act first and buff everyone), Shock and Awe
2nd - Wraith Strike (for even more Power Attacking goodness and while we're waiting for Gloom Razor to be recovered), Heroics (Grants us an extra maneuver or whatever feat we might need, like Leap Attack for Power Attacking since we will be charging a lot)
3rd - Haste (extra attack and mobility for allies? Awesome!)

Maneuver Progression: We're going to focus on White Raven, specifically, maneuvers that grant allies extra attacks and such. If we want a maximum return on Dragonfire Inspiration, we're going to have to ensure that it gets used as often in a single round of combat as possible, and no matter what happens, an entire party is always going to hit more often that you alone ever will. Iron Heart and Diamond Mind are there as well to bolster our own attack.

1 (IL 1, 3M 1 S, 1st) Leading the Charge, Douse the Flames, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Moment of Perfect Mind
2 (IL 2, 1M 0S, 1st) Steel Wind
3 (IL 3, 1M 0S, 2nd) Emerald Razor
4 (IL 4, 0M 1S, 2nd, replace) Punishing Stance, Sapphire Nightmare Blade -> Tactical Strike
5 (IL 5, 1M 0S, 3rd) White Raven Tactics
6 (IL 6, 0M 0s, 3rd, replace) Steel Wind -> Iron Heart Surge
13 (IL 10, 1M 0S, 5th) Flanking Maneuver
14 (IL 11, 0M, 0S, 6th, replace)  Moment of Perfect Mind -> Order Forged from Chaos
15 (IL 12, 1M 0S, 6th) Moment of Alacrity
16 (IL 13, 0M 1S, 7th, replace) Douse the Flames -> Quicksilver Motion, Pearl of Black Doubt
17 (IL 14, 1M 0S, 7th) Swarming Assault
18 (IL 15, 0M 0S, 8th, replace) Emerald Razor -> White Raven Hammer or Diamond Nightmare Blade
19 (IL 16, 1M 0S, 8th) Clarion Call
20 (IL 17, 0M 0S, 9th, replace) Tactical Strike -> War Master's Charge, Time Stands Still (via Heroics spell)

Combo:
Leading the Charge + War Master's Charge + Allies full attack + Clarion Call + White Raven Tactics
Grant your allies bonus damage on your charge. This attack also stuns the target. You can also configure the feats you grant them through your song such that they gain the Two Weapon Pounce feat if they wield 2 weapons. Upon reaching the target, you can choose between two options. Assuming you kill it, you initiate Clarion Call to grant a move action to them all, allowing them to make another charge against another opponent. Upon reaching that opponent, in the following round, initiate White Raven Tactics after they all have used up their turn, giving them an extra turn which they can use to full attack the opponent. If the opponent is not slain, order all you allies to initiate full round attacks, bringing the awesome damage bonus from your song to bear upon the target. In the next round, initiate Order Forged From Chaos to grant them a move action to reposition to the next foe and order them to full attack it. Then initiate White Raven Tactics after they all have used up their turn, giving them an extra turn which they can use to full attack the opponent.

The cherry on top of it all is that, due to your 1 level dip into Sorcerer, you actually can get a White Raven for a Familiar! Styllin'

Comments? Critiques? Points for improvement?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:42:09 AM by fun_at_funerals »
You can't spell FUNERALS without FUN

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: The Leader Build (or The Death Metal Bard)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:58:48 AM »
Heartfire fanner is an awesome class - nice use of crusader to progress that.

I think "Song of the Heart" would apply to the bonus feats as well, allowing you to grant 4 bonus feats.

While debatable, I don't think words of creation would apply to the total inspire courage bonus - only the base "bard" inspire courage bonus.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 05:02:48 AM »
Also, while we're at it, being a Dvati for +1 LA is probably worth it, for double buffing.  Also, a 2 level dip in Marshall may be worth it (especially if you are a Dvati).

This is an archetype I've been interested in as well.  (Both a primary caster version and a not-really-a-caster version).

Best,
David
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:12:26 AM by DavidWL »
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]

fun_at_funerals

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:17:51 AM »
Not certain on the Dvati. If we want the maximum bonus on Inspire Courage, we have no choice but to go Human as the feat requirements are just that intensive. Plus, we get IL 17 as it is. I don't think the benefits of a Marshal dip or any LA is worth the loss of War Master's Charge

On Song Of The Heart: I never considered that! If it did, that'd definitely be preferred over Chaos Music for the 18th level feat. 4 feats is just awesome

Oh, and I just realized, if you get really desperate, you can even have your raven familiar (who attacks with your BAB) smack the enemy for extra hits to make even further use of your song.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:22:41 AM by fun_at_funerals »

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Human Factotum 1 - D&D Focus
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 05:43:37 AM »
Get a rapier and you'll be Griffith before he went... uh... "nuts" doesn't really begin to describe I guess

Even down to the White Raven.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:50:10 AM »
Not certain on the Dvati. If we want the maximum bonus on Inspire Courage, we have no choice but to go Human as the feat requirements are just that intensive. Plus, we get IL 17 as it is. I don't think the benefits of a Marshal dip or any LA is worth the loss of War Master's Charge

On Song Of The Heart: I never considered that! If it did, that'd definitely be preferred over Chaos Music for the 18th level feat. 4 feats is just awesome

Oh, and I just realized, if you get really desperate, you can even have your raven familiar (who attacks with your BAB) smack the enemy for extra hits to make even further use of your song.

About needing to go human - I don't think you really need power attack ... this build shouldn't be spending his actions attacking anyway ... so this should give a free feat (leadership?)

About Marshall not worth the lost IL, thinking about it agree with you.

hopefully more later.

Best,
David

[/spoiler]

fun_at_funerals

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 06:31:59 AM »
Get a rapier and you'll be Griffith before he went... uh... "nuts" doesn't really begin to describe I guess
Even down to the White Raven.

Lolz, hahaha. True, true.

About needing to go human - I don't think you really need power attack ... this build shouldn't be spending his actions attacking anyway ... so this should give a free feat (leadership?)

About Marshall not worth the lost IL, thinking about it agree with you.

hopefully more later.

Best,
David

You're right about power attack, actually. If we stayed human, however, and dropped PA, we could substitute it with the Dragon Touched feat to qualify for Draconic Heritage without the sorcerer level. In its place, we could take Lion Totem Barbarian (CChamp) for some full attacking after our various charge maneuvers and such for extra hits. Then again, the spells do provided us with some added team command options. Benign Transposition, Haste, and Nerveskitter seem to out weigh the benefits on Pounce.

Leadership would be awesome as well. We could just have our cohorts pick out prerequisite feats for certain feat chains and just equip them accordingly come battle time.

A question on Prestige Classes, if we went Elf, we actually would qualify for Eternal Blade thanks to the free Weapon Focus from Stalwart Sorc. Questions is, since I'm applying the IL increase to my Crusader levels, will it actually interact with Song of the White Raven and increase my Bard level?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:46:18 AM by fun_at_funerals »

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »
Marshall is very worth the lost IL, IF you take Motivate Dexterity. +Cha to Party's initiative +other skills is very worth it once the bonus gets to 12+. Flavorful too since initiative is one of the most valued things in battle. (Plus the amusing thing where you constantly egging the party on manages to make them better at moving silently)

Picking Dragonborn instead of human can be useful too, depending on DM. You get to pick Bahamut as your heritage, at the very least this lets you select force damage with dragonfire inspiration. At most? The strict reading of Dragonfire Inspiration gets used and the damage type becomes "ANY", this means you can use multiple iterations of dragonfire with each different element, multiplying the bonus.
Plus, flight.
On the other hand: Not getting to use that pic as your character: Major downside. :P

fun_at_funerals

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »
Unfortunately, picking Bahamut won't work as we need to get Perform as a sorcerer class skill to qualify for Heartfire Fanner (Perform 10).  :(

You have a point about the Marshal's Motivate Dexterity Aura (and this will be a very Charisma heavy build). However, I'm not entirely certain that the benefits out weight the cost. There are already some abilities built into the build capable of ensuring that your party acts first in some manner. Nerveskitter will allows you to pretty much act first and initiate a maneuver that will allow your allies to attack (open combat with a brutal War Master's Charge). Plus, White Raven Tactics will eventually allow us to change the initiative order in battle. The Shock and Awe spell can easily give the entire party the top spots in the initiative order (that is, until the enemies that cannot be caught flat-footed and with SR start croping up). The loss of War Master's Charge for me isn't worth it.

We could easily still gain IL with a Marshal if we went: Dragonborn Crusader 6/Marshal 1/Heartfire Fanner 5/Crusader 8 (Heartfire Fanner has no spellcasting prerequisite). However, the loss of spells like Haste, Nerveskitter, and Heroics (for Adaptive Style or Martial Study: Time Stands Still) will also significantly hurt the build.

Plus we would lose our White Raven, boo.

I dunno, really can't decide which way to go here. Both are viable I suppose, but I'm partial to the current configuration of the build as it.

Mathias1313

• Noob
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
Um, you cant get rid of teh Sorc lvl.  There is a reqirement to be able to cast 1st lvl spells.