Author Topic: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer  (Read 165951 times)

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Re: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer
« Reply #760 on: December 23, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
A 204: No.  Unfortunately, the Marshall got virtually nil for support (a few items in MIC, one PrC in CC, and some slight support in Dragon Magic with Dracoinc Auras.)  The closest you can get is taking the Double Draconic Aura feat.
That said, it may be worth speaking with the DM, to try and get DDA to apply to minor auras as well.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #761 on: December 23, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »
A 204: No.  Unfortunately, the Marshall got virtually nil for support (a few items in MIC, one PrC in CC, and some slight support in Dragon Magic with Dracoinc Auras.)  The closest you can get is taking the Double Draconic Aura feat.
That said, it may be worth speaking with the DM, to try and get DDA to apply to minor auras as well.
Or about houseruling a Double Minor Aura feat.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #762 on: December 23, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »
I think Mysteries of the Moonsheas has a few Red Wizards stated as mid-level NPC's, but I could be wrong.
If there is, I couldn't find them.

EDIT: Also, they only seem to talk about red wizards in Champions of Ruin. No examples that I could see.

And I found them in MoonSea. Moonshae is the AD&D book. :embarrassed
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:12:39 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Sorator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • DnDOG - The best site for play-by-post D&D (and other RPG's).
« Reply #763 on: December 23, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
*sneaks in to ask a question*

I ran across a note in my copy of the PHBII that I need some help with... the Imbued Summoning metamagic feat (pg92) basically lets you quicken & cast a low level buff spell when you summon a monster. Either I or the book's previous owner wrote in next to the feat description that it works for multiple creatures, and now I'm curious as to how exactly it does that, if it indeed does that at all. Can the caster simply cast one buff spell per summoned monster, or cast one spell that applies to all monsters summoned with that spell, or am I just pulling this out of nowhere?

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #764 on: December 23, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »
I think Mysteries of the Moonsheas has a few Red Wizards stated as mid-level NPC's, but I could be wrong.
If there is, I couldn't find them.

EDIT: Also, they only seem to talk about red wizards in Champions of Ruin. No examples that I could see.

And I found them in MoonSea. Moonshae is the AD&D book. :embarrassed
Sorry, got the title slightly wrong.

Mysteries of the Moonsea, page 72-73.

I was so close on the Thrall of Eltab.  It's a PrC NOT in the PrC chapter (it's in the elder evils chapter, under Eltab).  The depicted character is a red wizard, but unlike the other PrC's in the book, this one doesn't have a sample NPC.  Drat.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #765 on: December 23, 2009, 11:14:04 PM »
Q205 Are there any LA1 or lower PC fey races other than Killoren and Duskling?  (Preferably something pretty.)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #766 on: December 23, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
Q205 Are there any LA1 or lower PC fey races other than Killoren and Duskling?  (Preferably something pretty.)
If you can stomach the cheese, EDIT: Unseelie fey

Otherwise, feytouched (there's also a lesser version with no LA on the website).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:16:14 AM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #767 on: December 23, 2009, 11:50:32 PM »

I ran across a note in my copy of the PHBII that I need some help with... the Imbued Summoning metamagic feat (pg92) basically lets you quicken & cast a low level buff spell when you summon a monster. Either I or the book's previous owner wrote in next to the feat description that it works for multiple creatures, and now I'm curious as to how exactly it does that, if it indeed does that at all. Can the caster simply cast one buff spell per summoned monster, or cast one spell that applies to all monsters summoned with that spell, or am I just pulling this out of nowhere?

My understanding is that each buff spell cast this way applies to only 1 summoned monster. Imbue summoning only lets you cast the buff spell more quickly, it doesn't let you affect more targets than you normally could.

Say you summon 3 earth elementals and cast one imbued bull's strength, you need to choose which one of the 3 gets the +4str. If you want all of them to get the str bonus, you will need to expend 3 imbued bull's strength, IMO.
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #768 on: December 24, 2009, 12:01:55 AM »
Q.206 - Is there any way to put [death] subtype into a spell? I'm looking for something to synergise with Mastery of The Dead...

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #769 on: December 24, 2009, 12:24:39 AM »
If you can stomach the cheese, fey'ri.

Otherwise, feytouched (there's also a lesser version with no LA on the website).
Sources, please?

Q207 Oh, and is there any ability out there that allows you to suppress the blatant bling that goes along with soulmelds, or is there some 'tone it down' option I overlooked in the rules?  There're a few soulmelds that might be nice for my Changeling, but if I'm pretty much stuck wearing the big, neon bling, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of being a Changeling.

Sorator

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • DnDOG - The best site for play-by-post D&D (and other RPG's).
« Reply #770 on: December 24, 2009, 12:29:05 AM »

My understanding is that each buff spell cast this way applies to only 1 summoned monster. Imbue summoning only lets you cast the buff spell more quickly, it doesn't let you affect more targets than you normally could.

Say you summon 3 earth elementals and cast one imbued bull's strength, you need to choose which one of the 3 gets the +4str. If you want all of them to get the str bonus, you will need to expend 3 imbued bull's strength, IMO.

So if you were summoning 3 earth elementals (to extend your example) and had 3 copies of bull's strength prepared, could you cast all three of those as part of your imbued summoning spell? (Sidenote: as I read it, the Imbued metamagic is added to the summoning spell, not the buff spell, but that might be another question I should ask...)

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #771 on: December 24, 2009, 01:17:54 AM »
Sorry, typo on the fey'ri.  I slipped up on which unspeakably cheesy race I was thinking of.

Feytouched is in Fiend Folio.  Racial class is here

Unseelie fey is in dragon comp, and really shouldn't have had a LA, but the editors screwed up and gave it LA +0.
Planetouched Handbook

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #772 on: December 24, 2009, 01:39:30 AM »
Sorry, typo on the fey'ri.  I slipped up on which unspeakably cheesy race I was thinking of.

Feytouched is in Fiend Folio.  Racial class is here

Unseelie fey is in dragon comp, and really shouldn't have had a LA, but the editors screwed up and gave it LA +0.
Domo Arigato.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #773 on: December 24, 2009, 01:39:42 AM »
So if you were summoning 3 earth elementals (to extend your example) and had 3 copies of bull's strength prepared, could you cast all three of those as part of your imbued summoning spell? (Sidenote: as I read it, the Imbued metamagic is added to the summoning spell, not the buff spell, but that might be another question I should ask...)

You don't say...  :o Have I been misinterpreting the feat all this while?

Can anyone with a better grasp of the rules explain how exactly imbued summoning works?  :p
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #774 on: December 24, 2009, 01:44:04 AM »
Oh yes.  I knew there must be some difference.

Although I'm curious why it has to be a slashing rapier.  Zombies?
Zombies, ghostwalkers, constructs, and anything else the DM can throw at me that's immune to piercing. He's been going it since the beginning with my arrows which are thankfully force now. Can't exactly do that with a sword.

The thinblades are all exotic, and while they do more damage, they're still piercing.

Also, it's gotta be good for Weapon Finesse. I'll check on that whip though.

EDIT: That weapon in the DMG on page 145 isn't a chain whip at all. It's a sickle attacked to chain.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:46:50 AM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #775 on: December 24, 2009, 01:49:07 AM »
Oh yes.  I knew there must be some difference.

Although I'm curious why it has to be a slashing rapier.  Zombies?
Zombies, ghostwalkers, constructs, and anything else the DM can throw at me that's immune to piercing. He's been going it since the beginning with my arrows which are thankfully force now. Can't exactly do that with a sword.

The thinblades are all exotic, and while they do more damage, they're still piercing.

Also, it's gotta be good for Weapon Finesse. I'll check on that whip though.

EDIT: That weapon in the DMG on page 145 isn't a chain whip at all. It's a sickle attacked to chain.
Perhaps the cutlass (Stormwrack) will suit your needs?  It's more like a slashing short sword, but still quite nice.

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #776 on: December 24, 2009, 01:49:57 AM »
Q 208 Is there any feat that lets you become large in 3.5?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #777 on: December 24, 2009, 01:55:27 AM »
Yes, but it's located in dragon, requires two other feats as prereqs, and you need to be an Umbragen.
Planetouched Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #778 on: December 24, 2009, 02:07:18 AM »
Beguiller, MM5 (or was it MM4?) is +1 LA

The aforementioned fey-touched from Fiend Folio is +1 LA

Uldara from Frostburn I think is only +1 LA (but might be +2)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #779 on: December 24, 2009, 02:11:01 AM »
Jotunbrud (Races of Faerun) allows a human to get many of the benefits of large size (size bonuses to grapples, bull-rushes, trips, etc.)  Probably not what you're looking for, but you never know.