Author Topic: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer  (Read 165948 times)

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer
« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »
Q122 is there a "Practiced Wildshaper" feat or item anywhere in 3.x?
No feat, but there's an item. Amulet of Wildshape (?) or somesuch, in Magic of Faerun or some other 3e book of lies. 3e, not 3.5, mind you, and I don't have the books to actually check.
Yep, Magic of Faerun, page 167. It's +4 to your Wild Shape limit (without limits as per Practiced Spellcaster), or Wild Shape as a 5th-level druid if you don't actually have the ability (!).

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #441 on: December 08, 2009, 11:28:42 AM »
Q120 I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some options for how a non-caster characters can enchant their own gear.  It's not Item Familiar or Ancestral Relic though.  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

Kensai? Complete Warrior.

I did think of both the Kensai and OA Samurai, but both those work on weapons only.  What I was thinking was an optional rule that let you enchant any piece of gear... Either that or I'm crazier then I thought.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #442 on: December 08, 2009, 12:01:35 PM »
Q120 I'm pretty sure I remember seeing some options for how a non-caster characters can enchant their own gear.  It's not Item Familiar or Ancestral Relic though.  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction?

I did think of both the Kensai and OA Samurai, but both those work on weapons only.  What I was thinking was an optional rule that let you enchant any piece of gear... Either that or I'm crazier then I thought.

"Optional rule" is a very broad category. What's to stop you from reflavoring something like Kensai?

Also there's the soul-something forgemaster guy in Magic of Incarnum, a similar guy who does it with a weapon, something in Tome of Magic that does it (or so I thought, I could be thinking of the Shadowsmith, which sucks).
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »
Q123 With its odd requirements, is there a compiled list of persistable spells?

I think there was several on gleemax but most were lost during the reformat. Here is one http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870454/Persistant_Spell_List_and_FAQ. But it is missing a lot.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #444 on: December 08, 2009, 01:25:19 PM »
Q122 is there a "Practiced Wildshaper" feat or item anywhere in 3.x?
No feat, but there's an item. Amulet of Wildshape (?) or somesuch, in Magic of Faerun or some other 3e book of lies. 3e, not 3.5, mind you, and I don't have the books to actually check.
Yep, Magic of Faerun, page 167. It's +4 to your Wild Shape limit (without limits as per Practiced Spellcaster), or Wild Shape as a 5th-level druid if you don't actually have the ability (!).

At 40,000 gold, it is appropriately priced and way out of my character's price range at the moment :(
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: December 08, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »
Q124

I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the faerunian lore but can one become a shadow weave user without becoming Shar's bitch?  It would help my SCM out a bit to have some of those nice feats but he has his own plans for divinity and doesn't like bending the knee to anyone.
"The capacity of the human mind for swallowing nonsense and spewing it forth in violent and repressive action has never yet been plumbed. "
~Robert Heinlein

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #446 on: December 08, 2009, 01:33:39 PM »
Q124

I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the faerunian lore but can one become a shadow weave user without becoming Shar's bitch?  It would help my SCM out a bit to have some of those nice feats but he has his own plans for divinity and doesn't like bending the knee to anyone.

Yes, you can. You just need a Wisdom score of 15 or higher.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #447 on: December 08, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »
"Optional rule" is a very broad category. What's to stop you from reflavoring something like Kensai?

Also there's the soul-something forgemaster guy in Magic of Incarnum, a similar guy who does it with a weapon, something in Tome of Magic that does it (or so I thought, I could be thinking of the Shadowsmith, which sucks).

Most of the options here require you to be part of a class.  From what I remember you could be a straight fighter and still enchant your weapon or armor or both.  It catered a bit more to lower magic games or parties without spellcaster/crafters.  Thank you all for your help though, I'll keep pouring through the books.

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
@Cantrippen, do you know where I can find that rule?  My DM can be a stickler for citing things.
~Robert Heinlein

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #449 on: December 08, 2009, 02:54:53 PM »
@Cantrippen, do you know where I can find that rule?  My DM can be a stickler for citing things.
Right in the prerequisites line of the feat. :p (it says "Wis 15 or patron deity Shar")
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2009, 03:03:13 PM »

Build a custom Weapon of Legacy?  It'll still cost you teh moneys... though you can get out of paying for the 2nd and 3rd rituals by taking Legacy Champion.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »
A 120

Bonding Rituals (DMG II), perhaps?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

LunaticsLament

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #452 on: December 08, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »
Right in the prerequisites line of the feat. :p (it says "Wis 15 or patron deity Shar")

:banghead My bad.  Thanks
~Robert Heinlein

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #453 on: December 08, 2009, 05:03:55 PM »

:banghead My bad.  Thanks

Hey, you got lucky, punk. Had I answered, I'd be dissing you on the pen thing...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #454 on: December 08, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »
Q125: While I'm pretty sure i know the answer I'm going to ask anyway. If I have a Dragonborn Raptorian that does not pick wings as his dragon trait, do I retain flight and the dive attack abilities?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

CyMage

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #455 on: December 08, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
A 120

Bonding Rituals (DMG II), perhaps?

Rereading the first part of the section, I think that might be it.  I just skimmed over the rituals last night.  The DM might even be fairly open to letting you bond/improve more then one item especialy since coming up with good rituals would make for some good RP.      :clap

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #456 on: December 08, 2009, 06:11:52 PM »
Q125: While I'm pretty sure i know the answer I'm going to ask anyway. If I have a Dragonborn Raptorian that does not pick wings as his dragon trait, do I retain flight and the dive attack abilities?
A125:
Funny story, that. I tried that combo about 2 months ago. Technically, you only retain the Fly speed, but neither the Dive nor the +10 to Jump. That's RAW. RAI, you should get both, obviously.

The benefit in this combo being that you have a Fly speed of 40', and get to have a Breath Weapon along with it. Not a bad combo, I think. I didn't go with it in the end because I chose to take a Dragonborn Spellscale, instead.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #457 on: December 08, 2009, 10:06:34 PM »
Q126: I heard about psionic haste, but can't find it anywhere does it even exist if so where is it?

D-End

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2009, 11:05:01 PM »
Q126: I heard about psionic haste, but can't find it anywhere does it even exist if so where is it?

D-End
A126
Hustle(Egoist 3; PsyWar 2) is a swift action to manifest, and grants you an extra move action for the round -- XPH, p.111 (AFAIK, that's as close as you get)

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

D-End

A126: Psionic Haste does not formally exist. It is, however, very easy to port Haste over from arcane casting, and is necessary to adapt Swiftblade to a Psionic variant.