Author Topic: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer  (Read 165923 times)

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer
« Reply #360 on: December 05, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
Frost Breath is the best, effect wise, I'm sure. Wu Jen has Breath of the Frog or something like that. In any case, isn't Reserves of Strength used for this sort of cheese? It breaks the cap, after all...

As for the 1st level spell, it's Jet of Steam at 1d4/CL (Max. 5d4), 30' Line. It's decent for it's level, I think, since it can be warped, and has more range than Burning Hands. But that's just damage, so there are better effects...
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: December 05, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
Frost Breath is the best, effect wise, I'm sure. Wu Jen has Breath of the Frog or something like that. In any case, isn't Reserves of Strength used for this sort of cheese? It breaks the cap, after all...

As for the 1st level spell, it's Jet of Steam at 1d4/CL (Max. 5d4), 30' Line. It's decent for it's level, I think, since it can be warped, and has more range than Burning Hands. But that's just damage, so there are better effects...

Yeah, for both Reserves of Strength and Arcane Thesis.  The idea is one primary blast that can serve as a zillion of them, depending upon how I modify it.  I may have to eat a higher level spell in order to get long range, also, since that'd be sweet with the CL I'll have and the ability to snipe with it with untyped damage.  Wings of Flurry is an emanation, right?  As in it spews out from you as opposed to being dropped on an enemy pack?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #362 on: December 05, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Almost Correct. Not an Emanation, but you get the idea. Why? Arcane Archer?
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #363 on: December 05, 2009, 12:21:10 PM »
A100 : I believe the Planar Handbook has a few, and of course the DMG II, where Affiliations first began.  Complete Scoundrel most likely has 'em too, or at least it should, as that fits perfectly.
"Affiliations" was the term I was looking for. None of those books you mentioned have them, so far as I can tell. (PHB2 started them, actually.)

On Wings of Flurry: It's a burst. The distinction between "emanation" and "burst" is that the former has a duration, while the latter is instantaneous.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #364 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:47 PM »
Almost Correct. Not an Emanation, but you get the idea. Why? Arcane Archer?

Blaster.  As in...uber-nuke blaster.  CL 110 at 20th level Blaster doing untyped fire damage, and getting extra per die.  So the more versatility I can get in blast shapes, the better.  Ideal would be damage/level to take full advantage of that CL, long range, and energy damage, since then I can sub it to fire and apply everything to it.  Even if I don't go with the 110 CL monster, a CL of 40 is easily hit with a blast setup, and the lower the level spell we can find, the more levels of metamagic I have to play with (and each one's getting -2 from Arcane Thesis).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
Q101a
Is there any way to extend psionic powers beyond 'extend power'?

Q101b
If there isn't is there some way to get free 'quicken power's?

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
Q101a
Is there any way to extend psionic powers beyond 'extend power'?
A101a: No easy way that's printed in any WotC sourcebook and that applies to 3.5 psionics. The 3.0 Psionics Handbook apparently had Persistent Power, but the entire book is considered to be the physical manifestation of a natural one. Hyperconscious also had Persistent Power (balanced to boot!), but that was published by Malhavoc Press. Still, check out Hyperconscious; it's just barely third-party, as Bruce Cordell (XPH Bruce Cordell) wrote the damn thing.

Alternately, Temporal Reiteration (Complete Psionic) will extend durations by one round. It costs 9 PP per use, so it's useless in most cases for what you're talking about.

Q101b
If there isn't is there some way to get free 'quicken power's?
A101b: Define "free". If you mean "without spending a swift action", Complete Psionic has the abusable Linked Power. If you mean "without spending your psionic focus", Ardents have Dominant Ideal, which is also abusable. And everyone else has Epic Psionic Focus (XPH) or Automatic Quicken Power (Complete Psionic), which are relatively balanced.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: December 05, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
Wow, thanks NeverGetDrunkButStaySober!

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: December 05, 2009, 03:37:59 PM »
Q97 : How would Great Flyby Attack affect a Hood?  I would imagine so long as it's not magical flight, they could make one giant divebomb against everything in their path and swoop away.

This basically boils down to "can you jump while flying, and if you do, does it have to take up your full move action."

I'm pretty sure you can jump while flying (it was explicitly stated that you can tumble while flying), but the second half is less clear.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:14 PM »
Q97 : How would Great Flyby Attack affect a Hood?  I would imagine so long as it's not magical flight, they could make one giant divebomb against everything in their path and swoop away.

This basically boils down to "can you jump while flying, and if you do, does it have to take up your full move action."

I'm pretty sure you can jump while flying (it was explicitly stated that you can tumble while flying), but the second half is less clear.
I know you can willingly fall while under the power of magical flight, and the tumble checks are so you can "DO A BARREL ROLL!" but what makes you think you can jump while flying without making epic balance checks?
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #370 on: December 05, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »
Q 102

Can you combine racial variants, like Water Halfling, with subraces like Strongheart Halfling?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #371 on: December 05, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »
Q 102

Can you combine racial variants, like Water Halfling, with subraces like Strongheart Halfling?

A 102: It depends on the variants (Desert Halfling and Water Halfling probably wouldn't work) and your DM most of the time. There are a few restrictions already in the rules, but DMs are usually encouraged to work with players to make new content appropriate to their interests.

If you're looking for something that circumvents the DM's approval, you're out of luck for race-wise.

Also, you'd actually be better off without a race that's statted out. Specifically on the elemental/environmental races, in the beginning of each of those sections it lists the racial traits for all races of that type. If Water Halflings weren't statted out later you could just treat those traits as a LA +0 template.

I saw a guy do it with air human (Humans aren't actually listed in the air entries, so he just applied the racial traits to a normal human)

You're probably looking for ability adjustments and the free feat, which is where you'll get the most resistance
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #372 on: December 05, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
That said, there are a few +0 templates in Dragon... arctic, magic-blooded, and a couple others.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: December 05, 2009, 09:54:58 PM »
Q 103: Is there any guild or handbook on how to create custom non-epic spells?

I'll be DMing a game, and I want spell rarity, so many casters are likely to have their own unique spells.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #374 on: December 05, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »

I'll be DMing a game, and I want spell rarity, so many casters are likely to have their own unique spells.
You can find that information on the SRD or the Epic Level Handbook.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »
Q104: Twinned Split-ray Ray of Stupidity 1d4+1 int damage (spell compendium) does the damage stack or do I need to think of plan B?
Q104b: What is plan B please?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »
Q104: Twinned Split-ray Ray of Stupidity 1d4+1 int damage (spell compendium) does the damage stack or do I need to think of plan B?

A104: Damage always stacks. It does.
A104B: Twinned (Reach) Shivering Touch.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2009, 12:23:31 AM »

Damage is damage, so it should stack.

A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #378 on: December 06, 2009, 12:36:06 AM »

You can find that information on the SRD or the Epic Level Handbook.
Yes, about a half page of information... I'm looking for a bit more detail.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2009, 03:54:59 AM »

Find a way to use Shatter Mind Blank?

Q 105 Storm Guard Warrior (Combat Rythm) + Winter Mask...  Valid?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:40:59 AM by Operation Shoestring »