Author Topic: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer  (Read 165941 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
Re: *NEW* Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2009, 10:59:39 PM »
Q81: Are there any spells, preferably Druid spells, that can give a creature a poison effect on its natural attacks? Anything else than spells, like feats or something, are an option as well, I guess.

I'm looking for a way to (ab)use Venomfire without having to resort to getting a Fleshraker or something similar as an Animal Companion (a Brown Bear would be my preferred Animal Companion for flavor reasons (I know, heresy :P)).

Thanks in advance,
Bowen

Would spells let you qualify for the "naturally produce poison" clause?  :p

Fiendish codex 1 has the poison talons abyssmal heritor feat, which is not cheap (since it has 3 other heritor feats as prereqs).
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
Q81: Are there any spells, preferably Druid spells, that can give a creature a poison effect on its natural attacks? Anything else than spells, like feats or something, are an option as well, I guess.

I'm looking for a way to (ab)use Venomfire without having to resort to getting a Fleshraker or something similar as an Animal Companion (a Brown Bear would be my preferred Animal Companion for flavor reasons (I know, heresy :P)).

Thanks in advance,
Bowen

Would spells let you qualify for the "naturally produce poison" clause?  :p

Fiendish codex 1 has the poison talons abyssmal heritor feat, which is not cheap (since it has 3 other heritor feats as prereqs).

I think if you were a spontaneous caster they would. Especially a sorceror, given the flavor for sorcerors being inherently magical.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2009, 12:48:26 AM »
Partial A81: Poison Thorns (Druid 5) not only poisons your unarmed strikes, but also applies it as a backlash against natural weapons and grapples. The only problem is its short duration - one round per level. (It's Personal range, in case DMM could help.)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2009, 06:21:43 AM »

Thanks in advance,
Bowen

Would spells let you qualify for the "naturally produce poison" clause?  :p

Oh cock...

I missed that part, thanks for the heads up.
Any other feats that grant a creature poison? Especially a more 'permanent' poison, seeing as Poison Talons only works once per hour...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:23:47 AM by BowenSilverclaw »
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #284 on: December 03, 2009, 07:36:15 AM »
A81:
Sting Tail graft (Fiend Folio) gives a poisonous tail natural attack for 50k
Touch of Golden Ice feat adds ravage to natural attacks, if your bear can meet the RP requirements :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:39:12 AM by cru »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »
Q82 : Is there any errata to prevent a psion/wilder/erudite from getting a free and easy recharge with Body Fuel and a means of being immune to ability damage and still be a living being?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:31 AM »
A 82: Doesn't work, I'm afraid, since ability burn damage is both different to, and worse than, normal ability damage.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: December 03, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
A 82: Doesn't work, I'm afraid, since ability burn damage is both different to, and worse than, normal ability damage.

If those are the only qualifiers, the difference means nothing for immunities.  It is a type of ability damage, only it can't be magically restored.  Regardless, if you are immune ti ability damage, you are immune to ability burn, with any exceptions spelled out explicitly.  The reason I asked (and am happy to receive such a response actually, as it strengthens the case) was because all other examples (such as hellfire) specifically call out the need to take the damage/drain/burn in order for the special ability or feat to work.  No such restriction on Body Fuel.  From the looks of it, too, you could do it all as part of the same action it takes to activate (which was what...standard?).
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #288 on: December 03, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
I actually had a build a while back looking at the same thing.  It was a Warforged Psion 5/Warforged Juggernaut 15.  I figured the lack of 9th level powers was made up for by free, instant refills on power points all day long.  It was determined the RAI was for the ability damage to cause the regaining of power points, but you're right.  There's nothing in the rules explicitly stating this is the case.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: December 03, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
Q83 : Are Item Familiars, and in particular sentient Item Familiars, considered Constructs?
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »
No more so than intelligent magic items.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2009, 12:14:39 PM »
Thus, they are constructs only if they are intelligent.
Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs. Intelligent items often have the ability to illuminate their surroundings at will (as magic weapons do); many cannot see otherwise.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2009, 12:19:13 PM »

If those are the only qualifiers, the difference means nothing for immunities.  It is a type of ability damage, only it can't be magically restored.  Regardless, if you are immune ti ability damage, you are immune to ability burn, with any exceptions spelled out explicitly.  The reason I asked (and am happy to receive such a response actually, as it strengthens the case) was because all other examples (such as hellfire) specifically call out the need to take the damage/drain/burn in order for the special ability or feat to work.  No such restriction on Body Fuel.  From the looks of it, too, you could do it all as part of the same action it takes to activate (which was what...standard?).
Immunity to fire doesn't make you immune to hellfire, right?

I seem to recall something about ability burn not being subject to be prevented, redirected, or reduced, but I can't remember the source (it might have been 3rd party)
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: December 03, 2009, 12:23:11 PM »

If those are the only qualifiers, the difference means nothing for immunities.  It is a type of ability damage, only it can't be magically restored.  Regardless, if you are immune ti ability damage, you are immune to ability burn, with any exceptions spelled out explicitly.  The reason I asked (and am happy to receive such a response actually, as it strengthens the case) was because all other examples (such as hellfire) specifically call out the need to take the damage/drain/burn in order for the special ability or feat to work.  No such restriction on Body Fuel.  From the looks of it, too, you could do it all as part of the same action it takes to activate (which was what...standard?).

I seem to recall something about ability burn not being subject to be prevented, redirected, or reduced, but I can't remember the source (it might have been 3rd party)
I believe you are correct, from what i recall when working on a hellfire warlock. I'll find where it states it and get you a book and page.

here it is: FC2 p119 it is a sidebar on the bottom left corner of the page.
paraphrasing; It burns really hot and isn't fire damage thus fire resistance/immunity doesn't mean jack to it. It also deals full damage to objects. (Read as D&D Thermite)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:29:04 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #294 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »

I believe you are correct, from what i recall when working on a hellfire warlock. I'll find where it states it and get you a book and page.
Whichever book has the hellfire titan or whatever (codex I? I cannot remember) should have the entry for hellfire being unresistable, or half-damage to immunes, or whatever.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #295 on: December 03, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »
Quote from: SRD
This is a special form of ability damage that cannot be magically or psionically healed. It is caused by the use of certain psionic feats and powers. It returns only through natural healing.

You cannot heal it, but you can definitely be immune to it.

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #296 on: December 03, 2009, 04:51:50 PM »
Q84:

Aside from Archmage.. What PrC's give a spell known as a spell-like ability?

Thank you
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

NeverGetDrunkButStaySober

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #297 on: December 03, 2009, 04:54:48 PM »
A84:Hierophant, at least. Any more specific parameters you're looking for?

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #298 on: December 03, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
2nd level arcane spell as a SP ability.. Something with easy(ish) pre-requisites (for a Spiderman build).

Thank you again
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #299 on: December 03, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Q85: What happens if you grow beyond colossal?  Like, say, a wereroc cloud giant psychic warrior using augmented Expansion.  Do you just apply standard size mods from the spell and increase damage accordingly?