Author Topic: CO and TO : Mystic Ranger with goodies.  (Read 10243 times)

OblivionSmurf83

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: CO and TO : Mystic Ranger with goodies.
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »
Another build for those who don't mind sacrificing the Planar Shepherd's outsider wild shape:

Bard 1/Mystic Ranger 5/Planar Shepherd 4/Sublime Chord 1/Fochluchan Lyrist 9

This nets you a caster level of 18 for Mystic Ranger, 28 for Sublime Chord, and a BAB of 17.

I personally wouldn't recommend playing it from level 1, since the Mystic Ranger's spell progression is already stunted compared to a normal Wizard. However, level 6 (where you grab Wildshape) might be a good entry point, or level 8 (where you can wildshape into a magical beast). At some point, you should be able to Embrace/Shun the Dark Chaos with a few of your feats, and streak ahead to 9th level Mystic Ranger spells. As soon as you can do this, the build should be fine.

The spells per day for this build, at the end, would be something like this:

Mystic Ranger 5/5/5/4/4/4/1/1/1/1
Bard         2
Sublime Chord 0/0/0/0/5/4/4/3/3/2
Total Spells  7/5/5/4/9/8/5/4/4/3

By way of comparison, a Wizard has straight 4's, so this build loses out 1 9th level spell, and gets a smattering more of lower level spells. Presumably, your tactic for the spell list would be to put spammy spells on the Sublime Chord's spell list, and utility/buffing spells on the Mystic Ranger's list. With that in mind, I don't really like this build, especially not in comparison to the 'pure' Mystic Ranger/Planar Shepherd ones I put earlier. This build is even more feat intensive than a typical Mystic Ranger build, and I can't envisage any level within the build where it's stronger than my earlier builds - essentially, I fear I've sacrificed a lot of great things in the last build for what essentially amounts to a few more spells per day.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:14 PM »
where was mystic ranger from again?

OblivionSmurf83

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 11:13:45 PM »
Dragon 336

deuxhero

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 12:07:37 AM »
I'm not familiar with this Falling Star variant, mind filling me up? Is it official?

No, that particular variant was the creation of RadicalTaoist on 339, but is generally considered fairly balanced.

Link?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 12:15:54 AM »
I'm not familiar with this Falling Star variant, mind filling me up? Is it official?

No, that particular variant was the creation of RadicalTaoist on 339, but is generally considered fairly balanced.

Link?

Here you go  :D
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Nebuchadnezzar

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
One can't combine the Falling Star variant with the MR's progression.

I hope this doesn't constitute thread necromancy. I'm just interested in this subject.

Shigure

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • aka: The Annoying Git
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
Kell, if this is going to be TO, why not use Great Wyrm Dragonwrought Kobold Epic Feat trickery?

A Dragonwrought Kobold can take Epic feats, if he qualifies for them.

Sorry to jump back so far but can you run this by me? How exactly does being a Great Wyrm allow you to gain access to Epic feats before level 21? I've seen nothing out there at seems to allow for this.

Edit: *Sigh* Never mind...I found it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:27:19 PM by Shigure »
-=Si vis pacem para bellum=-