Author Topic: Non-standard D&D/Forgotten Realms Campaign - express interest  (Read 11962 times)

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: Non-standard D&D/Forgotten Realms Campaign - express interest
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 02:56:07 AM »
Well yes, but I think that he asked for a writing sample. I was asking how much freedom we have with that. BTW I thought that that example was made of win.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 05:19:34 AM »
Sub-forum will come, I'll ask for one today.

I should be closing submissions tonight, but since we're in different time-zones that'll cut time for those further west. So it will be open until I get up tomorrow.

As to the writing sample: In fact your concept can be the writing sample. A bit of history can be the writing sample. I want to see whether you are prepared to make a definite effort to writing your posts in pleasing prose. Basically write your posts as if you never were rolling anything, but then determine the outcome by rolls. That's the idea, at least.

If you have any other ideas you would like to use, put them forward. I'm really very open.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 05:40:26 AM »
There's an example in the first post.  I do it like I'm writing a book, and put rolls and mechanics in square brackets.

Razor the gnome was dancing backwards and forwards, his body swaying in seemingly erratic ways. His two punching daggers were clashing the beat to this strange dance. Of course his movements were anything but erratic. All he needed now was an opening, as the gnolls were bunching up at the edge of the wall of fire, and none of them daring to move into the breach. Anyone who charged them now was sure to be caught between hammer and anvil. Razor knew that Oddjob was all cocked and ready to smash them to kingdom come, but as it was he would have to face four of them alone. There was no avoiding it. He needed to somehow goad them into the breach. Piping at the top of his voice he yelled at the foremost gnoll "Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries!"  [Diplomacy 1d20+0 = 2]. The gnolls didn't look impressed.... but maybe they were dumber than they looked.

I fleshed that out a bit to give another example of what I hope to see. And yeah, the tactics are iffy I guess...  :rolleyes

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2008, 11:12:39 AM »
Ok, third post in a row:

JanusJones: Basically pick a concept. I can't make that decision for you. Your dragons suffer from you being only one player, although if you make the concept I could play the others. You could act as the leader, and play one other as a cohort.
The others are also fine, but you need to make sure they are not just obnoxious freaks, they should have a drive and a goal. I expect any villains to put their mark on the story.

As I said I don't have it all planned out. I basically have a scenario, and a few possible following scenarios. There is a lot of room for change there. This is actually my second attempt at an entirely dynamic campaign. The first one was for a game called "The Lattice", a freeform science fiction roleplaying game. No dice there, for sure. The game suffered from a lack of common denominator, so at some point it died because people couldn't agree on what kind of world they were actually playing. With the D&D system to govern the world this won't happen, so I'm quite sure I can make it work, somehow. However, I can't stress enough that I expect all players to give their own inputs (and hopefully make them work as a group).

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2008, 01:06:45 PM »
I've been sorta busy with work and celebrating the Celtics win, but I'll have everything in by tonight, so don't count me out, I'm still very interested.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2008, 01:26:21 PM »
entirely dynamic campaign.
*droooooooooooooool*

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »
I should be closing submissions tonight, but since we're in different time-zones that'll cut time for those further west. So it will be open until I get up tomorrow.

So, do we still have to do the writing sample plus char concept?

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »
Game sub-forum is up!  :D
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
Should we start a topic to get to know each other's characters, so we don't end up with a party of nothing but Fighter 20s?  :D

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40:48 PM »
Please do not start a topic in the new child-forum until brainpiercing has selected the definitive list of players. Thanks :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Akula

• Email
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »
Brainpiercing, I sent you a PM with a bunch of stuff. If you didn't get it (the inboxes are small) then tell me and I'll send again.

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »
Think I'll bow out.  I should try to focus on only a couple of campaigns.  I have to say, your rules and approach are my favorite.  I haven't seen a set of ideas that appealed to me more!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2008, 12:06:22 AM »

So, do we still have to do the writing sample plus char concept?

Yes, absolutely.

I got a few PMs, it'll take me a short while to respond to all of them - and I'll only begin tomorrow.

JanusJones, sad to see you go. But hey, in case other campaigns stop or finish you can still join later, that should be possible.

Also, I think several players don't wish to have everything about their character publicly known, and I am going to entirely support this. People will only be required to post a limited public sheet in the characters thread, once that is made, with stuff like a description of looks and visible posessions.
I also don't see a need to make a "balanced" party for this campaign. I can pretty much flat-out say that there won't be situations where lack of a certain party role means certain death.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2008, 12:33:54 AM »
Alright.  A "visibly obvious" intro thread sounds good.  Would it start on the premise that we're all in a certain location, and be semi IC, or is it just gonna be a "when you meet me, this is what you see" thread?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2008, 09:26:53 AM »
Everyone will get their own starting scene, so you won't all start in the same place. I'll make sure people join together by some nice B-movie plot devices :) - if they wish to follow them.

I also now have fewer players than expected initially, since several didn't make the deadline.

Players who are in:

P-F-H
Snizor
Smudgyhandsman
Straw Man
Akula

The public character sheet thread should contain:

- the name you'll introduce yourself with
- the physical appearance you assume most of the time, including visible items
- your ECL, so that people can make their Aura checks
- Your Cha score, and physical stats if you like (although they will likely as not become apparent through the way you describe your actions)
- Anything you wish to divulge of your own free will

You can use the templates from the PbP boards, or post links to Myth-weaver sheets.

There will be a thread made for those public sheets. I haven't quite decided how to post private sheets, character histories and other things.

And since we're finalised now I'll be moving everything important to the Sub-forum.