Author Topic: Does pathfinder shift the tiers?  (Read 2087 times)

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
Does pathfinder shift the tiers?
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:52:14 PM »
It seems like it might shift the melee classes a little, but I don't think by much, and it made the other tier one classes stronger also. It only did the SRD classes so the samurai and swashbucker suck even more now. A class or two might have been shifted enough for a tier change, but its not that noticeable.
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Does pathfinder shift the tiers?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:48 PM »
Pathfinder didn't really change the tier rankings much. The exception being Paladin which *MAY* go up to tier 4, it's kind of useful in its specific niche. Ranger, Rogue and Barbarian don't go up a tier but are now much stronger in their Tier.

I remember people saying in the Beta that Tier ones got stronger, but it was only generalist Wizards. In the final tier one's take a very minor power hit, with druids getting the worst of it with the Wildshape nerf.

<Controversal Statement> At least Pathfinder didn't make the rift in power between Tiers 1 and 5 any wider. </Controversal Statement>

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:18:01 PM »
The Power Attack and Trip nerfs seem to hurt Fighters pretty badly, I'd say.  But I'm not that informed about Pathfinder, never having played it.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 10:30:51 PM »
I talked about the change to tripping here. It seems like a wash / maybe an improvement. The power attack change hurts, but only if you are using some 3.5 material. Otherwise the better trade off ratio vs. the fixed value makes it a almost a wash.

I think we should clarify, are we just talking about the core book or are we including all the legacy material from 3.5.