Author Topic: What's a fair Swordsage recovery mechanic?  (Read 4284 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
Re: What's a fair Swordsage recovery mechanic?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 09:58:06 AM »
The reasoning behind that is that Swordsages have a lot that they can go through before they have to recover manuvers.

Although in reality, there are really only so many choice maneuvers that you are usually forced to ready subpar ones just to fill in the void.

So once you burn through your few useful maneuvers, you either have to fall back on the crappier ones, or waste precious time refreshing your expended ones (neither of which is appealing). Unlike the warblade, who can still full-attack after initiating his most potent maneuvers (and thus retain a consistent output of damage).
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 10:54:22 AM »
Reality and reasoning have nothing to do with each other in D&D.  You know that :p

Really, there are plenty of good manuvers for Swordsages that remain quite useful at all levels (Moment of Perfect Thought anyone?  How about Shadow Jaunt?)  If you try and fill up with only your highest level manuvers, you will run into problems.  Fill up on the useful ones instead.

Regardless, Swordsages were not meant to sit there and dish out an endless stream of damage like either of the other two.  This is pretty obvious being that it's the only martial adept class that doesn't have full BAB (and the smallest HD).  Tanking is clearly not it's role.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »
I wouldn't say that 1 maneuver is good I would say make it a class feature so that you regen

Level 1: Same as now except you only recover 2 of one type of maneuver

level 3: You take a Full Round Action and Recover 2 strikes, 2 counters, 2 boosts, and 1 stance

Level 9: You take a full round action and recover 3 strikes, 3 counters, 3 boosts, and 1 stance

Level 15: You take a full round action and recover 4 strikes, 4 counters, 4 boosts, and 2 stances

Adaptive Style now provides a reason to stay in the class without a destroying a dip

You can't recover stances. You don't need to recover stances.

I do 1/2 the number of maneuvers they had previously. IE at the start of the encounter you can recover 1/2 your maneuvers readied, but every subsequent time you recover less and less until you hit 1 maneuver/use.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
is it really that hard just to take adaptive style on a swordsage?

druids still have to spend a feat on natural spell.  clerics need to spend a feat on DMM.  dread necromancers have to take tomb-tainted soul. dragonfire adepts need entangling exhalation.

in the end, these "required feats" are just part of playing a class.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo