Author Topic: Sharakim, the other white meat  (Read 2965 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Sharakim, the other white meat
« on: November 02, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
Okay, fine so they are not so piggish as their related orcish relatives but what gives with the +1 LA for this race?

I'm looking through it and going okay, not bad but nothing special other than the nifty flavor and then... BAM +1 LA.

I've been looking and just see no justification for the +1.

A supposed wizard race which has racial bonuses and penalties that contradict/offset each other (I'm looking at you roguish skill bonuses and dex penalty).

*sigh*

Am I missing something? 
Placeholder - T'tosc

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Sharakim, the other white meat
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »
No, WOTC is just inconsistent about LA.

I mean, Blue's are LA +1 for crying out loud.  They even tried to make them LA+2.

(Blues are weaker than pretty much an LA+0 race I can think of - if they had a point of essentia, they would almost be fair at LA+0)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »

I mean, Blue's are LA +1 for crying out loud.  They even tried to make them LA+2.

(Blues are weaker than pretty much an LA+0 race I can think of - if they had a point of essentia, they would almost be fair at LA+0)
The only difference between a Blue and a normal goblin is that the Dex bonus is moved to Int and they get a bonus power point.  There's a reason I always rule them to be LA+0.  They actually make pretty good wizards/psions (although barring the racial substitution levels, a goblin makes a better wizard than an elf).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »

I mean, Blue's are LA +1 for crying out loud.  They even tried to make them LA+2.

The only difference between a Blue and a normal goblin is that the Dex bonus is moved to Int and they get a bonus power point.  There's a reason I always rule them to be LA+0.  They actually make pretty good wizards/psions (although barring the racial substitution levels, a goblin makes a better wizard than an elf).
Huh, really?  I must have misremembered then.  I was thinking they also had a CHA penalty.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
Both goblins and blues have a Charisma penalty.  But, as I said, they make pretty good Wizards/Psions due to that Int boost and niether class cares about Strength or Charisma anyway.  Small size is also a boon in their case.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Frost Wolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 10:34:34 AM »
The whisper gnome put it there (It didn't want it).

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »
WotC believes you MUST play a typical race- human, elf, dwarf, midget, or half-breed of one of these- or lose levels for it.

In reality, humans are often the best race because of the bonus feat.  A hobgoblin SHOULD NOT be worth 1 LA just because it has 'uneven stat distribution.'  Core races are more powerful because they have splat support and a following from old editions.  See dwarves.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »
WotC believes you MUST play a typical race- human, elf, dwarf, midget, or half-breed of one of these- or lose levels for it.

In reality, humans are often the best race because of the bonus feat.  A hobgoblin SHOULD NOT be worth 1 LA just because it has 'uneven stat distribution.'  Core races are more powerful because they have splat support and a following from old editions.  See dwarves.

Agreed. They started getting the idea near the end of 3.5's life (Dragon Magic races are much more balanced than PHB races, and the MoI's 4 races are just plain good). They got some good ideas when they made Eberron, but there's still some fuck ups too (Shifters, but only because the Shifter feats should be Skill Tricks; actually this is a really interesting idea...).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
Shifter feats should be Skill Tricks; actually this is a really interesting idea...).

base em off of "control shape" from MM, and make it always a class skill for shifters.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo