Author Topic: Burning Wheel? Suggestions?  (Read 11264 times)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Burning Wheel? Suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 02:11:06 AM »
Yes, I have found and am already using that site. :D

Ohh. The laminating is a GREAT idea.  I would have killed half a rain forest  :blush Thank you for the idea.  I was just thinking that little chart of what type of test for skill and stat advancement would be nice if each player had one so when I say "Okay, that's an Ob 4" they can check and see how many die they are rolling and compare it to the chart to mark down their advancement... :)

The chart is on the GM screen.  BTW I made a copy of the screen for each player to reference, or you could just print what you need.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 02:14:56 AM »
As an aside, how often do you have trait votes when you play? The recommendation is at the end of an "adventure" but I've seen a lot of different opinions for what constitutes an "adventure..."  I'm thinking at the end or beginning of a session?  Do you think that's too often?  Our gaming group usually ends up meeting and gaming for ~6+ hours, so a lot can get done (even more so in BW, me thinks)

The rate suggested by the author makes for a slow game.  I would trait vote when it seems appropriate for the characters to change.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 09:21:24 PM »
So I've officially read through both books.  I have to say I'm impressed.

Considering my gaming group has only played 3.5 D&D, I think it will be a change if we try BW, but I think, from the gaming preference I've seen, that they'll like it more.  My biggest issue now is convincing them all to give it a try...
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 01:50:46 AM »
Take a look at the BW website and the sample scenarios.  Notably "the sword" and "the gift."  These provide an interesting way to introduce BW. 

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 01:52:24 AM »
Haha, that's exactly how I was thinking of doing it. The sword seems like a great scenario to play out.  It's more a matter of getting them to actually agree to trying it first.  I have some stubborn players sometimes. :pout
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
Haha, that's exactly how I was thinking of doing it. The sword seems like a great scenario to play out.  It's more a matter of getting them to actually agree to trying it first.  I have some stubborn players sometimes. :pout

SOMETIMES? Hahahaha!

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Marco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »
OK Josh, I have beef with you.  :mad I joined this discussion group because I was looking for ideas for my 4e game. Now I have 4 players expecting me to create an interesting DnD campaign for them and suddenly all my enthusiasm is gone. I bought the 2 book set of the Burning Wheel game last evening and can't put them down. I considered calling in sick to work today so that I could read them. I have been sneeking reading them at my desk anyway.  :wall So far I like what I have seen. I also like that they didn't have the old "What is Roleplaying" crapola section just an introduction explaining how BW was different. I also enjoy the 3 imps way cool.  :clap

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:13 PM »
Marco, are your four players willing to try out BW?  Right now, 1/2 of my gaming group wants to try and half is absolutely opposed to it, which makes it difficult to actually get a game going. :wall
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 02:12:36 AM »
I will take the blame.  I got my books at Gencon and read them on the flight home.

BW is awesome. 

BTW start up some burning wheel discussions, I will certainly join in.  Lets start with ... this.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:15:46 AM by Josh »

Marco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »
I havn't proposed it to my group yet. I haven't finished reading the books. I also sort of owe them an attempt at 4e since I sort of brought it up in the first place. Also my wife bought me the books for my birthday so again I can't just cast them aside. I am just going to have to make up another group for BW after I have finished reading the books and crafting a world to play in. Many of our friends already play with the vote for cookies system in other games so I think this would work out. I am also on a DnD yahoogroups list where we talk about RPG's and schedule game dates. I have already started discussing BW and SotC. Perhaps there will be some interest developed and I will get to play instead of GM.

Marco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 07:43:11 PM »
Ok, let me see if I have this right. I pick a born option village born, city born, noble born whatever take the bonus', skills and stats from that path. There are say 3 leads on that path and you then choose one of those as your next path. For example you choose village born and it says soldier and one of those options I can then choose anything under the professional soldier lifepath without a penalty unless it has other restrictions. For example you couldn't jump from village born as a 6 year old and take Captain of the guard or Knight, you would have to meet certain restrictions from there. However if you are say village born and you want to take a path that is not in your leads like faith or sorcery you can do so as long as you pay a 1 year penalty and don't choose one of the sub headings with pre-requisits.

Example: I want to play a bastard who becomes a squire. His knight is killed in a battle and he is left with no options and becomes a mercenary. I want him to view fighting and death as a job. But I want him to be repulsed by sadistic people who take joy in hurting others. I would also give him the belief once bought stays bought. If I remember correctly I could take the paths: Noble Born, Bastard, Squire, seargeant.  How do I work in the defeat where he looses his knight and goes merc? I would also like to give him a leg wound so he has limited movement but his hand eye coordination would be fine.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2008, 04:49:06 AM »
Jumping from one setting to another is one year.

Also you need to obey the requirements of any given lifepath.  Previous paths for example.

As for the given story, you can jump from knight to military or outcast.  The exact tale is up to you.

Marco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
Cool, except he doesn't reach the status of knight. His knight dies while he is still a squire and since he's a bastard can't find another knight to take him in. he then goes merc which I thought was soldier is that the same as military lifepath? I wish I brought my books to work, hell I wish my work was a game.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 12:34:47 AM »
Cool, except he doesn't reach the status of knight. His knight dies while he is still a squire and since he's a bastard can't find another knight to take him in. he then goes merc which I thought was soldier is that the same as military lifepath? I wish I brought my books to work, hell I wish my work was a game.
Just go squire -> mercenary

Also don't come up with the story details until after char gen.  Just the basic ideas.

Phil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »
This is currently my favorite game system. But I think its mostly due to the life paths. I know that there are some other games out there that do this too, so I hope to check them out also. I also like the fact that everything you do can increase a stat or a skill, and your characters can get trait as they go along.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2008, 02:54:22 AM »
This is currently my favorite game system. But I think its mostly due to the life paths. I know that there are some other games out there that do this too, so I hope to check them out also. I also like the fact that everything you do can increase a stat or a skill, and your characters can get trait as they go along.

I have seen lifepaths done in a number of other games and BW is the first to do it well. 

Phil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 01:40:29 PM »

I have seen lifepaths done in a number of other games and BW is the first to do it well. 
Someone else told me about I think it was warhammer rpg that did it ok. would you agree?

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 04:56:09 AM »

Someone else told me about I think it was warhammer rpg that did it ok. would you agree?

I have not seen the game long enough to give a complete overview

Phil

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2008, 09:58:18 AM »
well then I think I found another game I must try out.

Judd

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 04:01:04 AM »
If you are trying out BW for the first time, take it slow and easy, don't try to toss Fight!, Duel of Wits and Range & Cover all at once.  You can do a whole lot with just basic versus tests.

I wrote a bit about starting a BW game:

http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?p=63268#post63268

Also, the BW forums are really useful, a good place to ask questions and get solid answers from folks who have played a fuckton of Burning Wheel.

Delicious Man-Meat