Author Topic: Contingency  (Read 13130 times)

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Contingency
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »
What other good contingencies have y'all come up with?

There was a 4th level spell that reflected any ranged attack.. can't remember the name.

Contingent heart of X whenever you are grappled?

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Human Factotum 1 - D&D Focus
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2009, 09:02:14 PM »
Contingency Alarm on Setting up camp.

Contingency Dimension Door on Helpless, Contingency Teleport on 2 in Con, Int, Wis, Str, Dex,

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 10:55:49 PM »

can't you just cast alarm?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 10:58:46 PM »

..but, then you'd have to spend an action for it.

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »

DM loves nighttime attacks and since we generally play late at night I do bad RP (tired and od'd on caffeine etc) and fail at remembering. Nice to be able to point out when it's the surprise round and where prone that my alarm would have gone off and activated thus giving us time to wake up.

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »
What other good contingencies have y'all come up with?

"cast light if I am about to do something that would lead to my death" (game over...)

What do you guys think about this? (And my earlier post in section 1)
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 04:23:54 AM »
What about:
"If anything is about to happen which would otherwise kill me, immobilise me, prevent dimensional travel or prevent me casting spells cast Planeshift to Astral Plane."

That alone would make you almost invincible.
It works against any form of attack or dinensional anchor or even an Anti Magic Field.

So how much does contingincy 'know' then?
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:19 AM »

My guess is that the complexity or reliability per condition is entirely up to the DM. Hopefully you have a understanding DM.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 04:58:50 AM »

My guess is that the complexity or reliability per condition is entirely up to the DM. Hopefully you have a understanding DM.

"If anything is about to happen which would otherwise prevent me casting spells cast Planeshift to Astral Plane."
There you are then. Nice and simple and gets a wizard out of one of the only ways to kill him.

I think there must be a limit to how much contingency knows. Otherwise all sorts of silly stuff is possible (like in my first post in part 1)
The contingency should only know what the wizard does. That way it wouldn't protect against an attack you know nothing about (like a metaconcert of psions dominating you from another plane via remote viewing).
It would definately ballance the game and it makes sence.

Ribusprissin

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 05:58:10 AM »
If we're using Craft Contingent Spell, your contingency has the same senses as any other magic item. I would also argue that a Contingency would not be able to predict the future, but would only be able to react to events perceived.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:41 AM »
If we're using Craft Contingent Spell...
...then you're crazy.

I would also argue that a Contingency would not be able to predict the future, but would only be able to react to events perceived.

Sounds perfect! Percieved by the wizard, or as if it were a magic item (since it's a spell)?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 10:36:26 AM »
Semantics aside, what do you guys think is the cheapest contingency against being hit by a dispelling effect, or at least a targetted dispelling effect?

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 10:50:30 AM »
Well if contingincy can only react to actual events and has the knowledge of a magic weapon (i.e. no spellcraft) then it wouldn't know you were being targeted by a dispel magic effect until you actually got dispelled.

So the only possibilities would be to link it to an immediate action effect which you trigger when you use spellcraft to notice someone is casting dispel magic at you.
As for the spell to use, anything that makes you untargetable. i.e. invisibility, teleport, dim door (behind object).

You'd be better off getting a ring of counterspells and saving your contingincy for something deadly.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 10:58:04 AM »
Semantics aside, what do you guys think is the cheapest contingency against being hit by a dispelling effect, or at least a targetted dispelling effect?

At levels where it really becomes important, two spellblade quickrazors with greater dispel and chain dispel are my favorites. At those levels dispel is unlikely to work, and there is approximately one other targetted dispel which is a threat, Reaving Dispel which is uncommon, level 9, and yeah I guess you could get a spellblade of that too.

At lower levels you're going to have, what, one buff on you to dispel on average. Not quite worth the money.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »
Since contingency is seemingly omnipotent, use this.

"When I want it to happen, <fill in the blank>."
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 03:37:30 PM »

talking is a free action that can be done on other's turns.

Contingent Wings of Cover on you saying grat'zil.  say it when you spellcraft check and see someone casting dispell.

Or just take wings of cover as a spell, and abuse it horribly.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »
There was a 4th level spell that reflected any ranged attack.. can't remember the name.

Ray Deflection.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 03:42:46 PM »

Ray Deflection.

nope, that only works on rays.

Was thinking of Friendly Fire, from EoE.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 03:49:07 PM »

Ray Deflection.

nope, that only works on rays.

Was thinking of Friendly Fire, from EoE.

Ah, right, my bad :embarrassed

I seem to remember it working on all ranged touch attacks though...(AFB right now, so can't check)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
Yah, all ranged touch attacks.