Author Topic: Immunity to Daze  (Read 8333 times)

Hime~Finchy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Immunity to Daze
« on: October 21, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
After some quick investigations, and just utter boredom, does anybody know of a spell that makes someone immune to the effects of Daze, perhaps in such a way that Celerity can be used without being dazed?

Samb

• Curious George
Re: Immunity to Daze
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:50:14 PM »
Favor of Illmater grants you complete immunity to daze n

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
Theres a feat in either Eberron Campaign setting or Dragonmarked (can't remember which) that gives you daze immunity if you have a dragonmark.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
Favor of the Martyr spell from SpC. Fourth level Paladin spell, Necromancy is the school, IIRC.

The dragonmark is called Mark of the Dauntless.

Source for Favor of Illmater?

Handy Links

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 01:56:30 PM »
I believe Favor of Illmater is from Magic of Faerun and is one of the spells they renamed in the spell compendium (the formentioned Favor of the Martyr).

Healing lorecall from the spell compendium can remove daze, but requires the help of another party member.  Still a useful trick for a cleric helping out a mage's greater celerity tricks.

There is also a template, Fire souled, from dragon magazine that grants immunity to daze.  It is listed in the template index on crystal keep, but the LA is +3, not the listed +1.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
Ah, I somehow thought it was a feat. Oh well.

Handy Links

Hime~Finchy

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »
Would Freedom of Movement also work?

This spell enables you or a creature you touch to move and attack normally for the duration of the spell, even under the influence of magic that usually impedes movement, such as paralysis, solid fog, slow, and web. The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.

The spell also allows the subject to move
and attack normally while underwater,
even with slashing weapons such as axes
and swords or with bludgeoning weapons
such as flails, hammers, and maces,
provided that the weapon is wielded in the
hand rather than hurled. The freedom of
movement spell does not, however, allow
water breathing.

Taken from the PHB, would you say it could make you bypass Daze?

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:46:43 PM »
The answer is that freedom of movement can be interpreted by different people to have different meanings. It's like an age-old discussion as to what freedom of movement does and doesn't do. Kind of like what Ironheart Surge does and doesn't do. It would be counter-productive to start another FoM thread.

Go with whatever your DM allows.

Treantmonklvl20

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 06:54:02 PM »
I think that getting a DM to agree that Freedom of Movement will make you immune to daze would be a stellar achievement (and a serious breaking of that spell!  Um, yeah, death technically impares movement too...)

Speaking of things that are broken...Favor or the Martyr or Healing Lorecall could be purchased as crafted contingency spells (to take effect whenever you cast Celerity).
If at first you don't succeed - maybe failure is your style.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 07:01:22 PM »
No one mentioned quick recovery from lords of madness yet. That's usually what I use.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
No one mentioned quick recovery from lords of madness yet. That's usually what I use.
That's because it doesn't make you immune to Daze, it just makes you recover faster.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Azrael

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 11:54:19 PM »
His ultimate goal was to be able to use celerity and be immune to/remove the daze, either way it doesn't matter. He can take the feat and not have to worry about the daze affect. I think that's what he cares about. Excuse me for trying to help.

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:19:23 AM »
His ultimate goal was to be able to use celerity and be immune to/remove the daze, either way it doesn't matter. He can take the feat and not have to worry about the daze affect. I think that's what he cares about. Excuse me for trying to help.
In the same vien of LoM, the sanctified mind PrC also allows you shurg off daze and stun effects equal to your class level. It's made specifically to combat mind flayers and IMO does a better job than slayer. 

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:24:35 AM »
familiar + Imbue with Spell Ability with a readied action.

Requires a cleric and pearl of power.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 10:27:14 AM »
LOL, just read Favor of the Martyr and an 'evil' DM could twist that one good in regards to Celerity.

Pertinent text: "It is further immune to effects that would would cause it to be dazed,..."

Player: "I use Celerity to take and immediate action and let my Favor of the Martyr negate the daze"

DM: "You cast the spell but it seems to be quickly countered by some magic.  You realize that your Favor of the Martyr protected you from being dazed by making you immune to the effects of the Celerity spell."
Placeholder - T'tosc