Author Topic: That's one scary bitch! OR They scatter like the winds before us!  (Read 5573 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
"'Ey! You seen that? That big ass Tarrasque came stomping through! Some crazy elf woman just stood right in its way and stared it in the eye and that thing decided to go stomp off and eat another village! Remind me never to get on her bad side!" - Sergeant Grieves, head of town guard.

...I just realized that by what is essentially pure accident I got myself a +42 Intimidate modifier. That got me thinking... hmmm, how can I put this to proper use?

Of particular amusement to me is the fact the Tarrasque only has a +66 modifier to resist (48 HD, 2 wisdom, 16 4 size differences). I can get the base modifier up fine, I don't need any help with that. I just need assistance making the most of that big number.

Now I've heard of some combo that involves Imperious Command and Never Outnumbered. Looking at both those it's clear there's more to it, but all mentions of it on this forum are written under the assumption the reader already knows what is being talked about and I currently cannot use the WotC search button to find it.

So first off, what all is involved in this tactic to make it as optimal as possible, ideally making it not a standard action so it doesn't consume the first round of combat?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: That's one scary bitch! OR They scatter like the winds before us!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »
This might give you some decent help. That's also the best I can do for now...

Handy Links

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 06:26:31 PM »
Fearsome to cheaply intimidate as a move action is great. Especially if I be a bastard and charge as a standard action.

Most of the stuff however is assuming some sort of beatstick type. Pity.

I heard the name 'Crushing Defeat' somewhere. It doesn't appear to be a feat. Where is this?

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Shigunaru

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • I am your "friend"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:42:59 PM »
Fearsome to cheaply intimidate as a move action is great. Especially if I be a bastard and charge as a standard action.

I heard the name 'Crushing Defeat' somewhere. It doesn't appear to be a feat. Where is this?

Crushing Defeat is an ability from the Dragon Lord PrC, from Dragon Magic. It is a free action intimidate for a number of enemies equal to cha mod when you drop a foe.
Posting guidelines. Read 'em. Use 'em. Love 'em.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:22:20 AM »
And that's without your +30 competence item ring, right?  And what about the MW tool?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:31:18 AM »

Crushing Defeat is an ability from the Dragon Lord PrC, from Dragon Magic. It is a free action intimidate for a number of enemies equal to cha mod when you drop a foe.

What level?

That number is with a +10 item. With +30, a bit more Cha, 6 levels, and Skill Enhancement it becomes... 84? 85 with CL buffing.

I got the raw power fine, it's just making good use of it... :P

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 06:37:08 AM »
What level?
8th of the PrC. 14th ECL is the earliest. +6 BAB and 9 ranks in intimidate to get in. Full BAB too, makes for a decent combat/intimidate focus.

Edit: Post count 666. Don't know why that amuses me. :eh
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
Well, I'm not wasting 8 levels on that.

...Ya know, I noticed something. Most of the Intimidate stuff is for big dumb beatsticks. Which makes sense considering, but they aren't going to have a very high modifier.

Now compare to say... an Artificer, who gets a +30 item for 37.5% or less cost, Skill Enhancement, and so forth... End result is you get much higher potential, but less to do with it. Now to get around that limitation...

Swift or free action intimidates would do well.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:27:56 PM »
Anyone with an Int score of 3 is going to be more scared of an artificer than a fighter anyway. :P
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 07:30:18 PM »
Anyone with an Int score of 3 is going to be more scared of an artificer than a fighter anyway. :P
Pah, I'm not scared of either. They lack FAMILIARS ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 07:43:59 PM »

Yeah, I mean really the Tarrasque is just a big dumb brute to pick on. Flight + ranged attacks > it, no contest. Still, there is massive style points to be had for taking it to the next level and making it cower in fear before you. Would be even funnier if there was a way to efficiently Frighten it instead.

Tarrasque: RROOOOOOOOOOOOARRRRRRRR! *charges*

Aliyana, the Artificer of Awesomeness: Eh, fuck off. I want a real CR 20 encounter, kthx. :fo

Tarrasque: 'Oh fuck.' *stomps off in the opposite direction*

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 12:18:02 AM »
Sad that intimidate is equated to a fear effect, so anything immune to fear is also immune to it. So your artificer scary chick still doesn't make a paladin of her own level crap his pants (or a paladin of 2nd level, for that matter, assuming he doesn't know how much higher level she is).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »
Sad that intimidate is equated to a fear effect, so anything immune to fear is also immune to it. So your artificer scary chick still doesn't make a paladin of her own level crap his pants (or a paladin of 2nd level, for that matter, assuming he doesn't know how much higher level she is).

Yes, but given the fact that she is Lawful Evil (but can't be detected as such) and further has major personal issues with the main order of Paladins (Kill those Flamer bastards!) she is in fact quite capable of making them crap their pants. It just requires she beat the shit out of them with a stick (<3 illusions and Persistent Spell) instead of just staring them down.

...And isn't immune to fear the third level ability?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:00:53 PM »
I wouldn't know. I fucking HATE Paladins.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
I wouldn't know. I fucking HATE Paladins.

...Know thy enemy. How do you think I know it? :rolleyes

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »
Yes, but given the fact that she is Lawful Evil (but can't be detected as such) and further has major personal issues with the main order of Paladins (Kill those Flamer bastards!) she is in fact quite capable of making them crap their pants. It just requires she beat the shit out of them with a stick (<3 illusions and Persistent Spell) instead of just staring them down.
Doesn't matter. Paladins can't be Intimidated because they're immune to fear. Intimidate is just a non-magical way of producing a fear effect.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:13:03 PM »
Doesn't matter. Paladins can't be Intimidated because they're immune to fear. Intimidate is just a non-magical way of producing a fear effect.

You are aware you just completely missed the point right?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 11:04:15 PM »
More pondering evilness.

Humanoids with class levels are easily scared. It's 1d20 + level/HD + wis + saves against fear. Add 19, and you never fail. +42 is more than adequate for the task.

Now... is this legal?

Scare as a move action, can't fail. Whatever as a standard action.

Enemy cowers, no actions.

Repeat as needed.

Defeat enemies by thwacking them with a spoon to death? :evillaugh

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
Play a Dread Witch (heroes of horror) and stop those nasty paladins from taking over the world.

Any spell with some sort of visual manifestation is a legal target for fearful empowerment and bypasses fear immunities. I don't know what to say about the target comment though. It takes a moment to mention fireball can be used, but on the very next line it makes using fireball worthless. Ask your DM if a fearful empowered fireball effectively targets everyone in the area. Then, if they give a yes ask about lightning ball. :D

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 07:16:40 PM »
Play a Dread Witch (heroes of horror) and stop those nasty paladins from taking over the world.

Any spell with some sort of visual manifestation is a legal target for fearful empowerment and bypasses fear immunities. I don't know what to say about the target comment though. It takes a moment to mention fireball can be used, but on the very next line it makes using fireball worthless. Ask your DM if a fearful empowered fireball effectively targets everyone in the area. Then, if they give a yes ask about lightning ball. :D

This is to get the idea working on an existing character with minimal adaption. I don't think that would help in my case, though it may be useful to the general idea. (haven't looked yet)

Imperious Command + Fearsome I can get behind, especially if you can fearlock as a move action. You know, for when you really want to rub it in.

As for Paladins... they might be immune to intimidate, but I still say they'll be rethinking that whole Smite Evil thing pretty fast if she toys with them and still kicks their asses. Think Magus vs Cyrus and Glenn here. Artificers = <3.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]