Author Topic: Ways to get 'free' movemen  (Read 5898 times)

duncandun

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: Ways to get 'free' movemen
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »
might do this. or take the hit to casting for cleric... Would get access to cleric wands that way which could be nice. only issue is my charisma is terrible.

where is sacred exorcist?

I'm not saying, unfortunately, that sacred exorcist is an easy dip for a ranger. the requirements might be difficult to meet.

After looking at the requirements and weighing the cost/benifits, I think I'll just go cleric. I lose some spells, but thats not a huge deal. This way I end up with travel devotion for free.

A Man In Black

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Portrait of a Man in Black holding a Glove
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 08:58:24 AM »
A 1/fight option is Martial Study for Sudden Leap, from BO9S. You could also dip Swordsage or Warblade, but their recovery methods are decidedly ranged-unfriendly.

duncandun

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
i think im going to pick up the belt of battle and quicksilver boots as a bandaid to the problem for now.

will pick up a cleric level at 9. That way I pick up both 2nd level spells(yay swift haste) and a bab of 6.

Then at 9 drop a level in cleric, pick up a nightstick(using nightsticks to fuel devotion feats is legal right?) and go to town.

for now 5 times per day should be enough, I don't want to make my DM hate me just yet anyway.

TWF

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
This maybe a stretch, but see if your DM will allow the 'pistols' to benefit from the Quick Loading crossbow weapon property.
At higher levels, shadowdancer(?) could be of some help. If you are using Eberron, Blade of Orien, but need tobe human for that one.

duncandun

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2009, 12:08:41 PM »
This maybe a stretch, but see if your DM will allow the 'pistols' to beinefit from the Quick Loading crossbow weapon property.
At higher levels, shadowdancer(?) could be of some help. If you are using Eberron, Blade of Orien, but need tobe human for that one.

they probably would. He let me take rapid reload for my pistols and was going to allow other xbow feats to apply to pistols(xbow sniper etc).

isnt there some dragon feat that gives you dex to ranged dmg?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
There are numerous ways (by now) to get dex to damage. All in all you should get around 2x-3x dex to damage without problems:

The "Crossbow Sniper" feat gives 1/2 dex to damage and increases skirmish range to 60ft

The Targeteer Fighter gives dex to damage as precision damage

The Hit and Run fighter from DotU gives dex to damage vs. flaatfooted enemies within 30ft, and NOT as precision damage, and can theoretically be combined with the Targeteer.

The Deadeye feat from Dragon something gives dex to damage as precision.

deuxhero

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2009, 11:40:06 PM »
Use a charm/dominate effect on the movers. They will do the work for free and as a bonus they won't do any shifty stuff... Sorry, had to.

Serious: Some pair of Gnome rollarskates from a web artical let you take 10 ft long 5ft steps.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »
one of my favorite methods is to have one of the leadership cohorts(come on, at least one person in the party has got to have it, right? if not, hirelings work too.) move 30 ft and then cast benign transposition on you.  or get a higher level one to cast greater slide, or get the dimension stepping boots from MiC, or make a custom item with your GMs permission, ect.  or ask if you can make a custom feat allowing you to move 20 ft as a move action in a round where you take no other movement.  show your DM travel devotion, compare the two, buy him a few cookies and then get on your knees and beg.

one of those methods have gotta work!
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

duncandun

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 02:06:01 AM »
Ah well, DM shot down two things this weekend during game:

1.No travel devotion for me.

2.Teleportation doesn't count as movement.

to elaborate on #1, basically because my character is a follower of mystra(Order of the shooting star + sword of the arcane order), I can't choose a devotion to a domain that is not one of hers as that would be choosing to go outside of mystra for aid or what ever.

we were of course at odds over this, I had thought of a way to incorporate it thematically but he basically told me no, no matter what. I figured since the OoTS was already kind of at odds with the rest of the church of mystra and the mystic fire knights with how they worship/follow mystra(in my Dms game, he adapted the oots be kind of like the MiB, not nearly as powerful as the MiB but they fulfil a similar role,or atleast eventually want to.(capturing and returning potentially dangerous outsiders, destroying evil ones, and generally thwarting powerfully magical evil creatures) they are really at no position in the game to do so effectively yet, theres less than 40 members in his city(which has a pop of 8 million)). anyway i thought it would fit the ideals of the OoTS but since I would be getting the power from Mystra, she wouldn't grant it to as it wasn't a domain of hers.

Regardless, I was disappointed. It was both thematically and minmaxically an significant event in my characters development (taking a level in cleric) that I was looking forward to.

So anyway at this point I am limited to 5 skirmish+full attacks a day.

I've thought about a custom item perhaps that allows a free tumble attempt if moving through threatened squares. IE I can make a tumble movement for free If I tumble through atleast one threatened square. Or something. Considering my movement is 40 I could make a 20 foot tumble every round without much problem.

I have no idea how I would price such an item and in anycase it would be pretty broken.

There are numerous ways (by now) to get dex to damage. All in all you should get around 2x-3x dex to damage without problems:

The "Crossbow Sniper" feat gives 1/2 dex to damage and increases skirmish range to 60ft

The Targeteer Fighter gives dex to damage as precision damage

The Hit and Run fighter from DotU gives dex to damage vs. flaatfooted enemies within 30ft, and NOT as precision damage, and can theoretically be combined with the Targeteer.

The Deadeye feat from Dragon something gives dex to damage as precision.

Where is the Targeteer fighter from?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
Where is the Targeteer fighter from?

Dragon Magazine 310.

And Deadeye is also printed in Dragon Compendium I.

People here seem to forget that by RAW, Targeteer and HaR-sub for fighters aren't compatible.

Not that I would stop it if I was the DM, but still.

HaR requires you to loose, amongst others, Tower Shield Prof.
Targeteer don't get Tower Shield Prof. to start with.
Hence, you can't subsitute it.

I assume that you can only use one Fighter Variant in any build, otherwise the point is moot.
Then Targeteer 2/HaR Figther 2 nets you 1 more feat than normal, aswell as better saves.
Which would be silly.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 09:14:31 PM »
I assume that you can only use one Fighter Variant in any build, otherwise the point is moot.
Then Targeteer 2/HaR Figther 2 nets you 1 more feat than normal, aswell as better saves.
Which would be silly.

In UA they actually talk about it. ACF/Substitution levels, no you can't do that. Class variants you can. It specifically mentions being able to take Cloistered Cleric 1/Cleric 3.

Samb

• Curious George
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 12:43:21 AM »
Would vertical distance count?  If so walk on walls is viable if you find yourself in a dungeon, I often use that to charge opponents who are right up on me.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
Which would be silly.

In UA they actually talk about it. ACF/Substitution levels, no you can't do that. Class variants you can. It specifically mentions being able to take Cloistered Cleric 1/Cleric 3.

Oh really know?
Wasn't that just highly welcome :D
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

duncandun

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »
Which would be silly.

Oh really know?

Wasn't that just highly welcome :D

How would that work though? if for instance you went cc1/cleric2, they stack for spellcasting im assuming but what about class abilities? would you get the additional domains from cleric when you went into it?

what about proficiencies etc?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
How would that work though? if for instance you went cc1/cleric2, they stack for spellcasting im assuming but what about class abilities? would you get the additional domains from cleric when you went into it?

what about proficiencies etc?
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedCoreClass.html
Check Multiclassing And Variant Classes, which says
Identical class features should stack if gained from multiple versions of the same class (except for spellcasting, which is always separate).
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

duncandun

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedCoreClass.html
Identical class features should stack if gained from multiple versions of the same class (except for spellcasting, which is always separate).
[/quote]

So spellcasting from cc1 and cleric 2 don't stack, but you would have 5 domains, boatload of turn attempts, etc?

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »

So spellcasting from cc1 and cleric 2 don't stack, but you would have 5 domains, boatload of turn attempts, etc?

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
Well DMM shennanigans for one thing :p
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

duncandun

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »

srsly

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 06:00:31 PM »
Just dip into Dread Necro make all of your domains some sort of elemental turning, assuming the DM agrees a turn attempt is a turn attempt no matter what it turns. Then go to town.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren