Author Topic: Were creature help  (Read 1628 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Were creature help
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
Ok this is a 2 fold request. This is going to be a second character to help round out our groups since we have been having such small numbers as of late. Current group:me-warforged artificer, shifter ranger, human paladin (late most sessions), human swashbuckler/ftr (misses pretty often due to work).

1st House rule recommendations on handling were-creatures. Both I and the DM think that the current system for LA and dealing with were-x is pretty bad. We are looking for as simple a way as possible to adjust these rules to make it playable and not overpower a non-optimized group at the same time. DM and I will be getting together tonight or early next week to hash out everything.
2nd Builds and build suggestions. I was planning on being a natural were-panther using the leopard for the stats, comes from the jungles of Xendrik. They will be hunting the were creatures that are doing things like killing people and the like, aka preventing a second purge. I'm looking to be good but not make the Paladin in the group feel useless, my last character who was in the group was a feral goliath with troll-blooded and levels of warblade and the group just watched most combats so i'm trying to avoid that.

Houserule ideas:
Most likely will be doing LA buy off. Probably will eliminate the need to take the animal hit dice, this does make bears and the like much better than the others but a gentleman's agreement will be made on that, i take the panther which doesn't have as insane of adjustments and he doesn't throw some insane were creature with a CR half of what it should be. I'm kinda stumped beyond that as to what other adjustments can be made without it becoming too powerful.

Build Ideas so far:
Some sort of ranger/rogue mix to get sneak attack and be able to track them both in the wild and in cities. Probably going into warshaper for fun.
Original idea was to have a cleric with the moon domain who would turn the other were creatures and buff to insane levels, but i felt the loss of so many caster levels would make the spell casting worthless.

Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
Re: Were creature help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:47:07 PM »
As far as the build goes, go Ranger/Scout and take swift hunter.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »
See the stricken racial HD (and hence lycanthrope) rules. If you want it playable, it will be powerful. Like the Lolth-touched template. However nerfing a template isn't that hard. If a max of say, +8str, +8con, +2dex, +2wis is too much you can always arbitrarily throw out, say two of the stats fields.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:27:02 AM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »
We ended up ditching the animal HD and I kept it reasonable by taking Panther (leopard) as my animal. It got me smaller adjustments but still worthy of a +3. We are also using a modified version of the LA buy off system. This done mainly because someone else wanted to play a vampire so we made them a lesser vampire template and adjusted the LA and buy off rules so they could eventually buy it all off. DM was generous with all involved but will use the restrictions not eleminated, ie we might get assigned to break into a manor house thus the vampire can't go inside and has to help from outside.

My build is going to be WerePanther Human Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 2/Ordained Champion 5/CI +4/ ?? 5
We added the Moon Domain to the god of the hunt in Ebberon and modified OC to fit as well. Ruled a turn attempt is a turn attempt no matter what it turns so i can burn a lot of them on OC abilities and divine feats. Domains are Moon and Celerity and took dom. spont. celerity as well.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 11:33:23 AM »
Thats some generous rulings. Even cheesy methods can't buyoff more than a LA6 template, short up becoming (even temporarily) an epic character. I hope he just tried to balance a serious nerf to the vampire template. (I never liked it as it stands)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »
Thats some generous rulings. Even cheesy methods can't buyoff more than a LA6 template, short up becoming (even temporarily) an epic character. I hope he just tried to balance a serious nerf to the vampire template. (I never liked it as it stands)
pretty severe nerfs. we eliminated about half the abilities and cut down on the usage of those that they wanted to keep because they felt it was key to being a vampire.