Author Topic: Few questions about duskblade  (Read 1806 times)

Runestar

• King Kong
Few questions about duskblade
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:16:21 AM »
This concerns a few "questionable" tips I found in the duskblade handbook. Not saying that they are necessarily incorrect, but I am unable to see just how they might be useful.

Originally posted this in the duskblade's handbook, but no replies seem forthcoming, so I though I would try my luck here.

1) The OP states that blades of blood cannot be channeled as it is a swift-action spell. But duskblades can channel swift-action spells to start with...? Though I admit that it makes no sense channeling said spell. Confused

2) What is the purpose of full-channeling a buff spell like resist elements if it just gets discharged at the end of your round?

3) Just how does arcane strike work? Is it a free or swift action, can you activate it multiple times in a round and if so, how do the bonuses stack?

Thanks in advance for your responses.   :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Few questions about duskblade
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:32:05 PM »
Arcane Strike is no action, the damage stacks and the attack bonus doesn't.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:40:36 PM »
1) The OP states that blades of blood cannot be channeled as it is a swift-action spell. But duskblades can channel swift-action spells to start with...? Though I admit that it makes no sense channeling said spell. Confused

Duskblades can only channel spells with a Standard action casting time. You can still cast Blade of Blood, but you cannot use Arcane Channeling to cast it.

2) What is the purpose of full-channeling a buff spell like resist elements if it just gets discharged at the end of your round?

The idea here is Heal and a reach weapon that deals Nonlethal damage. Also, channeling an Energy Immunity for one round is a fairly simple way of dodging energy damage. It isn't exactly that powerful to channel buffs with a duration longer than Instantaneous though.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »
Yeah - that's something which the guide should probably make more clear, since I was mistaken about it from reading the guide - I was under the impression that buffs wouldn't be discharged at the end of your round.  Not that I ever channeled any buff spells on my duskblade anyhow =P

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »
1) The OP states that blades of blood cannot be channeled as it is a swift-action spell. But duskblades can channel swift-action spells to start with...? Though I admit that it makes no sense channeling said spell. Confused[/quote]

Well, you can channel swift action spells. I'm not sure what the guide means if it says you can't.

The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action or less.

That said, I'm not sure why you'd want to channel Blade of Blood, since it's target is a weapon... so I suppose you could use it to strike another ally's weapon? But most times you'll just want to cast it normally on your weapon with its usual swift action casting time.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 10:59:58 PM »
The guide did mention not to channel blades of blood, but the rationale was because it was a swift action spell, and less so because it is not a smart thing to do. So he right in a way, just not right for the correct reason. Which was what puzzled me.

The idea here is Heal and a reach weapon that deals Nonlethal damage. Also, channeling an Energy Immunity for one round is a fairly simple way of dodging energy damage. It isn't exactly that powerful to channel buffs with a duration longer than Instantaneous though.

Just to doublecheck, when I full-channel a buff spell, it would last until the start of my next round, not the end of my current round, right? Meaning that the party has 1 full round (including the opportunity for the enemies to act) before losing the spell?

Also, doesn't the timing seem unreliable? You need to be able to second-guess the foe and anticipate that he is going to blast the party with an energy effect. Nor can I ready it as it is a full-round action. I suppose it might be a no-brainer in the case of say, a red dragon, which will likely initiate combat with a dose of its breath weapon...
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 12:59:02 PM »
Y'know, I'm pretty sure the intent there is that you lose the charge on the spell (say, if a touch spell let you make more than one touch with it). I'd also argue that spells without a "discharge" option like Footsteps of the Divine has (I'm not sure if it's Touch or not, but let's ignore that for now) can't be "discharged" so it doesn't apply, but those that do have it are kinda trapped without wiggle-room. Anyway, YMMV.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.