Author Topic: Further consideration of abuses of Acorns of Far Travel  (Read 6733 times)

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
Further consideration of abuses of Acorns of Far Travel
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »
i. the uses of the acorn of far travel spell have been considered recently. such uses include triggering magic of the land's effects for those using the war weaver/spellguard of silverymoon combination, as well as being in rashemi for various prestige class features.

ii. let us now discuss other uses of this spell.

since one is always effectively under the tree, it follows that area effects under the tree would be applied to you as well.
this can be utilized to increase the mobility of such effects.
-the orrery of the planes(ECS) would allow one to apply metamagic feats to spells of certain descriptors for free
-on a similar note, a planar bubble(SPC) spell would allow one to experience extraplanar effects without having to risk exposing the creature used to create the effect to danger
-at epic levels, the acorn would allow the effect of mythals(LEoF) to "move around" with the caster
-tree stride would act like a teleport spell

iii. on the procurement of acorns
the spell has a duration of one day per caster level, and one can not accumulate acorns, making ensuring one always has one on hand difficult. to complicate matters, the spell is druid only.
-one can simply teleport or use tree stride (above) to return and recast the spell, but this can be tedious at times
-one can make an item of continuous-use acorn of far travel, likely shaped like an acorn. this would cost 6,000gp by the guidelines in the DMG if the item is slotted. i myself have done this before, going so far to make a custom legacy item out of it.
[spoiler]Acorn of Far Travel
-The acorn from the spell turns into a permanent magic item. While this is technically free, I'd be wasting my wand of acorn of far travel, which i'd say no longer functions.
-The acorn now functions as the first part of the spell permanently after the least legacy is awakened- the bearer is always considered to be under the oak tree, etc.
-+2 Diplomacy vs Fey
Omen: The acorn splits partially open and the beginnings of a bud appear from it.

Least Founding Legacy: Forest in one's Heart
You must utilize the acorn in a place as far removed from a forest as possible, in the desert, underground, or perhaps even underwater, in a way that made the difference between life and death.

Lesser Founding Legacy: As the Fey do
You must resolve an encounter with one or more fey with a total challenge rating equal to or greater than your character level. You must do so without violence, you must use social skills or nondamaging enchantment or illusion effects.

Sacrifice: Table 4-7 (Page 186)

Level 5: You can summon the powers of the earth Entangle 2/day (Compare with Magic Missile 3/day)
Level 6: Your appearance and demeanor become like that of a dryad +5 Enhancement to Diplomacy
Level 7: You can sense the presence of fey Creature Compass: Fey
Level 8: You can empower your spells with the perpetuity of nature Lesser Metamagic-Extend 3/day
Level 9: You can create magical acorns. Magic Stone 3/day (Except the stones are acorns, but they are mechanically the same, and the acorns.
Level 10: You gain greater understanding of nature +5 enhancement to Knowledge (Nature)
---
Level 11: You can shroud yourself in roots Barrier of Roots - Like slippery barrier, except with entangle instead of grease. Lasts 3 rounds, only activatable once every 1d4 rounds
Level 12: You can restore yourself or others - Lesser Restoration 3/day (Cribbed off menu D, but E has cure serious 3/day anyway)
Level 13: Metamagic-Extend 3/day
Level 16: You can shrug off the venoms of nature - Immunity to Poison[/spoiler]
however, making an item is subject to DM discretion.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Further consideration of abuses of Acorns of Far Travel
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
6,000 for continuous?  I say go the extra mile and have it act like an ioun stone, just for image.

"Why is there an acorn floating around your head, Mr. Ranger?"

*ranger vanishes*

"Oh."
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 01:58:03 PM »
An ioun stone is also subject to be hit by an opponent, and I've always disliked them for that reason.

I'm assuming it's well-known that a primary candidate for abuse of this spell is a ranger.  ;)

As he is always considered to be "under and oak tree" and in natural terrain, he gains the benefits of Camouflage, and Hide in Plain sight at all times.
A scout or anyone who gains Trackless Step would be a candidate for this.  If they are always considered to be in natural terrain they never leave a trail, and can never be tracked.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »
What about hallow? You can put all manner of buffs up around your tree, and always be affected by them.

[edit] If you want more than one buff at a time, just make sure there are multiple hallow effects that don't overlap.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:45:40 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 02:44:03 PM »
If you have a base of operations and trustworthy cohorts, followers, or something similar you could keep the tree there and have them cast area buffs around it.
If you can rig some sort of messaging system, such as mindlinks or similar, you could call in buff spells remotely!

"This is number 7, requesting a sphere of invisibility"

Desca

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »
If you have a base of operations and trustworthy cohorts, followers, or something similar you could keep the tree there and have them cast area buffs around it.
If you can rig some sort of messaging system, such as mindlinks or similar, you could call in buff spells remotely!

"This is number 7, requesting a sphere of invisibility"

Or you could be a mage with Leadership, that messaging system, a cleric cohort and scrying; you could control your followers like a real time strategy game sitting on a bench under the tree.

Mage: "Group 1 have engaged the enemy and is requesting aid"
Cleric: "Casting Righteous Wrath of the Faithful..."
Mage: "Incoming Righteous Wrath of the Faithful. Watch out Mage of Group 1, a rogue is approaching you from behind."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:54:53 PM by Desca »

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »
I'm assuming it's well-known that a primary candidate for abuse of this spell is a ranger.  ;)

As he is always considered to be "under and oak tree" and in natural terrain, he gains the benefits of Camouflage, and Hide in Plain sight at all times.

This also works well with the favored environment variant.