Author Topic: Rogues with Spells?  (Read 4163 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Rogues with Spells?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 09:53:48 PM »
Ahead of the factotum? I'm somewhat skeptical. The factotum has per -encounter- access to all sorcerer/wizard spells of up to 7th level when all is said and done. I'd say they're close to equal, but the kind of power and versatility a factotum wields at any one time is incredible; the spells rogue has a limited number of tricks such that the DM can always predict what they're capable of based on WBL, spell selection, and gear.

Actually, the Factotum's spell access is per-day. Inspiration is per-encounter, but the spellcasting is per-day.

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Actually, the Factotum's spell access is per-day. Inspiration is per-encounter, but the spellcasting is per-day.
I freely admit that I misread the ability. In that case, the spell access is less powerful but only slightly; you still gain access to 7th level and below spells from the Wizard/Sorcerer list; even if you only get 8. Spell Turning, Limited Wish, and Contingency are all looking mighty fine. So is Alter Self, Polymorph, Planar Binding, Antimagic Field, True Seeing, and Major Creation. Greater Teleport and Teleport.
So you get two high level spells per encounter, basically. Hm.
I'm still skeptical, but less so. The spells rogue is showing more endurance, but the Factotum is showing burst potential and downtime potential.

Edit: Also, factotums have greater access to the Frank trick, which is a big deal in adventuring.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 11:50:50 PM by wackodraco »
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 06:07:47 AM »
Ok, if you use basically ALL Factotum spells to create stuff to use later (which is a great tactic, I admit), then the Factotum does come out ahead.
But for spontaneous, per encounter spellcasting the rogue would win.

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
The only thing that I can do to further this project at this point is to write up the ACF and playtest it.
I appreciate the input from all posters.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."