Author Topic: Fastest way to get to Master of Nine?  (Read 2688 times)

axleleft

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Fastest way to get to Master of Nine?
« on: October 08, 2009, 03:52:59 AM »
Topic kind of says it all. If possible, using Stone Dragon and Improved Unarmed Strike to shatter armor would be pretty neat.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
Re: Fastest way to get to Master of Nine?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:56:31 AM »
Give me a few hours I'm away from books. However, Shattering the "+5 Half weight Full Plate faycraft armor of XXX" is bad for your Melee guys.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:30:39 AM »
The skill requirements put the limit at qualifying at level 7 and entering at level 8. The standard tricks for bypassing this don't work, no method can achieve four tricks.
The maneuver requirements are easily achievable through items, but if your DM doesn't allow that you can probably fit in the one Martial Study Feat you'll need.

Race: Doesn't really matter. I assume human or similar, but it's not needed.
here are five feat requirements. You get 3 Feats from levels, and possibly 1 from Human, forcing you to either dip, or take flaws. I assume your DM won't let you do that, because if not, this topic's question would be too easy to answer.
Thus, the dip. Due to the way you gain 1/2 initiator level from non-initiator classes, even numbers of levels are best. So a 2 level dip is probably best.

Fighter 2 is probably best if you don't want to lose BAB, but 1 BAB hardly matters, so here's some alternatives and their comparison with Fighter 2:

Sleeping Tiger Monk 2 - Lose 1 BAB, 2 HP on average, gain 2 needed feats just like fighter: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Initiative, on top of that, gain Weapon Finesse, +2 Hide, Wis to AC, Evasion, 2 more skill points/level.

Cobra Strike Monk 1/Cleric (Darkness Domain) 1 - Assuming fractional BAB, this loses 1 BAB and 2 HP on average. It gains 3 needed feats: Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Blind-Fight from the domain. You also get Wis to AC, +2 Escape Artist, one other domain, and the ability to cast from cleric scrolls later, partially negating the BAB loss.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »
Armours cannot be sundered while worn though.

Handy Links

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »
Armours cannot be sundered while worn though.
Yeah, I was wondering where he was going with that.  And just a handy rules refernce, from the SRD:

Quote from: SRD
Sundering a Carried or Worn Object
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

tristanayres

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
Perhaps he/she is referring to the STone Dragon stances DR bypassing abilities. Though that doesnt make much sense as only a few armors grant DR anyway (Unless you utilize UA variants I guess) Anyway Im tired and rambling I'll leave you to it.

Thanks for your time

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:47:46 PM »
You could use unarmed variant swordsage 1 / fighter 1 / warblade 5.  Warblade 5 gives you a bonus feat with blind-fight and improved initiative both being options.  Fighter 1, of course, gives you a bonus feat.  Unarmed variant swordsage 1 gives you improved unarmed strike, but more importantly, it gives you 6 maneuvers and 1 stance to use to meet the prerequisites for higher level maneuvers, allowing you to branch out more.  You can take the other 2 feats by 3rd level no matter your race.  You lose 1 point of base attack bonus, but also gain weapon focus. 

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
Fastest way?  Looks like 8th level is the level of entry and with many means of doing so.  It is just a matter of figuring out which method you prefer.

Warblade5/Monk2 (varient for two prereq feats) is a good one but would require using a Feat to take Martial
                        Study.

Unarmed Swordsage (human) can do it without multiclassing at all but burns up all his feats on prereqs.

Basically there are many combos using these classes and others that can work.  Without knowing more specifically what your looking at not much we can tell you other than there is lots of ways.
Placeholder - T'tosc

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »
Hmm. What about using the eat-stuff-for-HD + psychic reformation trick to bypass the skill stuff? And, if needed, buy feats via magical locations (or heroics) and DCFS. Combined with tricks for unlimited WBL that should yield Master of the Nine at 2nd (you can take the "open minded" feat to get more skill points).

axleleft

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 01:28:43 AM »
Oops, right y'all are on the armor bit. Without any of the odder tricks I'd like to get into the class with the most free feats - i.e. more character level feats to spend on non-prerequisites to the PrC. I do like the idea of breaking weapons with one's fists though.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »
You can Polymorph into a Bebilith.... I think the armour sundering attack is ex :).

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 05:17:17 PM »
Cobra Strike Monk. Dodge and Improved Unarmed Strike in one level.

axleleft

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 11:24:53 PM »
Cobra Strike Monk. Dodge and Improved Unarmed Strike in one level.

Is the level 6 perk of the Cobra Monk worth taking that many levels of monk? Or Monk 4/Swordsage 4? What would be a good exit level on the unarmed damage? Or are there maneuvers that would help get around that?

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 01:10:48 AM »
No. No it isn't.