Author Topic: Epic In!  (Read 5870 times)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Epic In!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 01:33:18 AM »
Or a +6 to all stats with Chasing Perfection (PHB2). Wonderful. Pity that spell costs 50 gp.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 03:11:02 AM »
Ok, does the DM allow flaws?  This works fine without them and better with.  Martial Monk 2/Fighter 2/Lion Totem Barb 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Martial Wizard 1/Ur-Priest 2/Prestige Paladin 2/Arcane Archer 2/Abjurant Archer 5.

[spoiler]1)Battle Jump, Combat Casting
2)Point Blank Shot
3)Precise Shot, Leap of the Heavens
4)Power Attack
5)---
6)Weapon Focus (Bow of Choice from War Domain), Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, Leap Attack~BIG power boost here.
7)Mounted Combat
8)---
9)Improved Bull Rush
10)---
11)---
12)Shock Trooper
13)---
14)---
15)Sword of the Arcane Order
16)---
17)---
18)Arcane Strike
19)---
20)---[/spoiler]

This guy has all the capability of being an absolute DM's worst nightmare.  He can one-shot things as a dragoon with the best of them, buff up to become a pseudo-swordsage with the proper spells (complete with 9th level maneuvers), lay down the smack in stand-up melee with the divine buffs to withstand serious punishment, and lay down AMF's and other passive BFC inside a time stop with imbue arrow.  Now, here's where it gets sick : if you can get mirror move and pump Int and Wis high enough (Int for DC's on Wizard spells and # of bonus feats from mirror move, Wis for DC's on Ur-Priest Spells and # bonus spells that SotAO uses for high level arcanes), you can take most if not all of those nice Dragoon feats, and further can also take things like Multishot, Greater Multishot, Rapid Shot, etc, and in place of sneak attack, use Hunter's Eye through Arcane Disciple.  If all options are open, you'll be dropping from impossible heights on a spring attack on a target that is inside a silent AMF, doing sneak attack damage to boot, and before your turn is over launching 4 arrows all carrying sneak attack and 4d6 extra acid damage each from premanifesting Acid Sheathe.  Now if I could only find a way to get a Swift Hunter out of this...you'd be set with the ultimate multithreat.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
This is the buff list (partly non-persistent) on the cohort cleric of my epic necro. Mind you, this guy isn't even remotely optimised. He's a cleric 30/Hierophant4/Contemplative1. I've highlighted where you get HP.

Div. Favour
Bite of the Werebear (+12 -CON)
Infernal Transformation (+4CON)
Giant Size (I think +12 CON)
Shield of Warding (Neat Sacred AC boost)
Divine Agility (a bit of AC)
Ectoplasmic Enhancement (Yes, you have to shapechange into something incorporeal first, but the benefits stay when you turn back.)
Hunter's Eye

In addition there is of course, always persisted:
Owl's Wisdom
Divine Power
5x Energy Immunity
Greater Consumptive Field (Permanent Emanation, Sculpted, Intensified, but house-ruled to only kill stuff up to full, unaugmented CL)
Life Ward
Mind Blank
Elemental Body
Veil of Undeath
GMW+magic vestment
Astral Projection (not anymore as of late - stronghold got busted)
maybe some stuff I forgot.

And with that this guy is just one gigantic glass cannon. Granted, we don't use ANY erratas and we've house-ruled that all spells that proved scaling bonuses until CL20 are factually uncapped, so your CL 54 from GCF will give full benefits. Oh, this is the guy that ALWAYS dies, in every bigger fight.

Now take all those buffs and put them on an Ur-Priest Arcane/Divine dual progression caster, and you're set. Pretty much at least.

Oh, and Kell, I don't get your builds. Where do all the magical capabilities you cite come from? I don't see so much.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »
Prestige Paladin should be 4 levels, but other than that, SotAO will let you add Sor/Wiz spells to Ur-Priest casting, which in that build is 9 levels for 9th level spells.  Arcane and divine 9th level spells seems like some pretty damn substantial spellcasting to me :D
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 05:37:40 AM »
So you are adding all the prestige classes to Ur-Priest casting, and saying you can do that even for the arcanes because of SotAO, which you cannot really take, because you need four levels of Pally. I don't know Abjurant Archer, where is that from?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
So you are adding all the prestige classes to Ur-Priest casting, and saying you can do that even for the arcanes because of SotAO, which you cannot really take, because you need four levels of Pally. I don't know Abjurant Archer, where is that from?

So sue me, I typed while sleep deprived and got a few typos :P  The 5 levels should be Abjurant Champion, and in case you missed it, PRESTIGE PALADIN.  They are meant to replace paladins in normal games, and as such serve to qualify for SotAO.  Two levels of Arcane Archer are there for firing AMF's behind a Dispelling Screen at opposing casters, preferably while time stopped.  Once they're shut down, let the fighter feel useful ;)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 07:46:21 AM »
Yes, the Prestige Pally qualifies you, but you still need four levels. Unless I've read the prerequisites wrongly.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:54 AM »
That was my first typo correction, remember?

Martial Monk 2/Fighter 2/Lion Totem Barb 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Martial Wizard 1/Ur-Priest 2/Prestige Paladin 4/Arcane Archer 2/Abjurant Champion 5

That should make more sense.  Though having just found out that Elf domain gives PB Shot, I may change it a little.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 10:37:43 AM »
Ur Priest removes all class features of cloistered cleric...
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 10:42:42 AM »
Not true, only the cleric spellcasting is lost, and that wasn't important anyway.

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 03:35:28 AM »
The problem with the above build is Ur-Priest. I'm trying to avoid an evil alignment :p

Found something neat while browsing the Immortality Handbook.
The Mythic Shadow 3.5 Epic Destiny is kinda neat, if I stick with a build that uses precision damage it might be worth it, but I'm open to opinions.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
Then there isn't a problem because that one isn't evil.  Point your DM to the adaptation section of Ur Priest and kindly remind him that Mystral was neutral :)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »
Until this very moment I think I had previously blinded myself to the horrors of the Adaptation sections >_<

The other problem though, is that I'm really not looking for a true multi-threat. I'd like to be a ranged combatant (rather than a dragoon), I'd like to be an epic-level skill monkey if possible, full casting would be lovely, and Id love precision damage of some kind to make my ranged attacks have some kick.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 11:12:09 PM »
Until this very moment I think I had previously blinded myself to the horrors of the Adaptation sections >_<

The other problem though, is that I'm really not looking for a true multi-threat. I'd like to be a ranged combatant (rather than a dragoon), I'd like to be an epic-level skill monkey if possible, full casting would be lovely, and Id love precision damage of some kind to make my ranged attacks have some kick.

Not to keep touting my own build, but you've got Hunter's Eye for precision damage, and an arrow-borne AMF for shutting down enemy casters/Su-users.  You can get any skill as a class skill and the ranks for it with DCFS+Apprentice/Skill Knowledge/Areni Focus, and similarily can tank up on metamagic with DCFS+Mirror Move to trade off the General/Fighter/Observable feats you don't want or need.

If you were looking for something a little more focused, but still versatile as all hell, go for Factotum 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6.  Good skills, especially if you take Able Learner/Jack of All Trades combo, great damage, especially with Hunter's Eye from US, 16 BAB, CL 17 with 9th level Wizard Spells, both buffed to 20 if you can snag Divine Power.  If you want some healing or such, snag Arcane Disciple for a nice domain.  You'll be versatile and capable in melee, skillmonkeying, spellcasting, and if you don't dump Cha totally and invest a few in Diplomacy, even make a functional face (which the Wizard list helps out with also).
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 11:23:57 PM »
If you were looking for something a little more focused, but still versatile as all hell, go for Factotum 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight 6.  Good skills, especially if you take Able Learner/Jack of All Trades combo, great damage, especially with Hunter's Eye from US, 16 BAB, CL 17 with 9th level Wizard Spells, both buffed to 20 if you can snag Divine Power.  If you want some healing or such, snag Arcane Disciple for a nice domain.  You'll be versatile and capable in melee, skillmonkeying, spellcasting, and if you don't dump Cha totally and invest a few in Diplomacy, even make a functional face (which the Wizard list helps out with also).

I think thats what I was getting at.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 02:34:59 AM »

I think thats what I was getting at.

Ranged or melee, you've got plenty of feats to spare with that one.  Not to mention between mirror move and heroics, just about any feat-based style is fair game, and you've got martial weapon prof from factotum 1 anyhow as a baseline.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 03:31:55 AM »
So the non-evil Ur Priest got me thinking about an Epic build I had worked on a while back.

1. Hexblade 1 - FEAT
2. Hexblade 2 -
3. Hexblade 3 - FEAT
4. Fighter 1 - FEAT
5. Fighter 2 - FEAT
6. Ur Priest 1 - FEAT
7. Ur Priest 2 -
8. PrC Paladin 1 -
9. PrC Paladin 2 - FEAT
10. PrC Paladin 3 -
11. Bone Knight 1 -
12. Bone Knight 2 - FEAT
13. Bone Knight 3 -
14. Bone Knight 4 -
15. Bone Knight 5 - FEAT
16. Bone Knight 6 -
17. Bone Knight 7 -
18. Bone Knight 8 - FEAT
19. Bone Knight 9 -
20. Bone Knight 10 -

Obviously a heavy melee threat, a bit different from the direction Ive been going up till now, but its a build I really like. So I think I'm gonna shift gears and concentrate on this build. Any comments or criticisms, and especially suggestions on feats (I know the usual Power Attack, Shocktrooper, etc) are welcome.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
So the non-evil Ur Priest got me thinking about an Epic build I had worked on a while back.

1. Hexblade 1 - FEAT
2. Hexblade 2 -
3. Hexblade 3 - FEAT
4. Fighter 1 - FEAT
5. Fighter 2 - FEAT
6. Ur Priest 1 - FEAT
7. Ur Priest 2 -
8. PrC Paladin 1 -
9. PrC Paladin 2 - FEAT
10. PrC Paladin 3 -
11. Bone Knight 1 -
12. Bone Knight 2 - FEAT
13. Bone Knight 3 -
14. Bone Knight 4 -
15. Bone Knight 5 - FEAT
16. Bone Knight 6 -
17. Bone Knight 7 -
18. Bone Knight 8 - FEAT
19. Bone Knight 9 -
20. Bone Knight 10 -

Obviously a heavy melee threat, a bit different from the direction Ive been going up till now, but its a build I really like. So I think I'm gonna shift gears and concentrate on this build. Any comments or criticisms, and especially suggestions on feats (I know the usual Power Attack, Shocktrooper, etc) are welcome.

Try and shift it around to get a 4th level of PrC Pally, since then you can take Sword of the Arcane Order.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Adam500

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 06:37:09 PM »
Easy Enough, I can drop level two of Ur-Priest I'm pretty sure.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2009, 04:50:46 AM »
Easy Enough, I can drop level two of Ur-Priest I'm pretty sure.

You might check to make sure neither of those PrC's require turn/rebuke undead, too.  Ur 2 might be manditory...although, if items can validate PrC requirements in your game, or retraining is available, it's fully a moot point, since then it will fulfill its own requirements.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!