Author Topic: Halloween Community Competition  (Read 9803 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Halloween Community Competition
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 04:03:23 AM »
Ha! This is the perfect excuse to finish a character I put aside a couple months ago. :D
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
The Headless Horseman rough draft

Human Hexblade4/paladin of tyranny5/divine crusader1/bone knight10

ACFs: dark companion, Holy warrior

Str: 16
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 16

Divine Crusader domain: Travel

Feats: dreadful wrath, power attack, divine might (via holy warrior), frightful presense, weapon focus, mounted combat, ride-by attack, spirited charge, quicken spell
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:48:47 PM by ninjarabbit »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »
I'll give this a try later.
I'm thinking of some of the last Mind's Eye stuff.
Psionics is scary ...  :o

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 12:54:26 AM »

I was working in the lab late one night
When my eyes beheld an eerie sight
For my monster from his slab began to rise
And suddenly to my surprise

He did the mash!

Dr. Boris Pickett and The Crypt-Kicker Five 

NE Human Artificer 7, with a Flesh Golem and 4 Zombie Bards

(He did the monster mash)
The monster mash
It was a graveyard smash
He did the mash
It caught on in a flash
He did the mash
He did the monster mash

Fluff: Boris always wanted to be part of the famous band Drac and the Bleeders, but they said he was too creepy!  Well, he'd show them "creepy"!  He'd show them all!

Working feverishly day and night, Boris created the perfect band.  They could rock all night long, blend in perfectly with ravers, and best of all, they were his, all his!  Sure, their vocal cords were rotten, but with a few wands of Ghost Sound and Ventriloquism, he could be his own backup!

And if anyone disagreed, he had a flesh golem and a pair of 6d6 Scorching Rays to argue with them.

Books used: EBCS, Core
Stats: 32 PB.  4th boost: Int
Str: 8 
Dex: 14   
Con: 14 
Int: 17
Wis: 8 
Cha: 16

Feats:
1st: Point Blank Shot
1st flaw: Precise Shot
1st flaw: Empower Spell
1B: Scribe Scroll
2B: Brew Potion
3B: Craft Wondrous Device
3rd: Split Ray
4B: Craft Homunculus
4B: Exceptional Artisan
5B: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
6th: Craft Construct
7B: Craft Wand

The Crypt-Kicker Five:

Flesh Golem "Boris's Monster" (Cost to make: 10,500g)

"The coffin-bangers" 4 Human Zombie Bards (Scroll of Animate Dead: Cost to make: 312.5g)

Equipment of note:
Masterwork Guitar x1 (150g), Bass x1 (50g), Drums x1 (50g), Keyboard x1 (50g), Cowbell x1 (50g)

Self-crafted:
Wand of Ghost Sound x2: 375g
Wand of Ventriloquism: 375g
Wand of Scorching Ray: 2,250g)

Now everything's cool, Drac's a part of the band
And my monster mash is the hit of the land
For you, the living, this mash was meant too
When you get to my door, tell them Boris sent you

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 01:00:26 AM »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 05:21:19 AM »
Since someone's doing a headless horseman, I'll take my shot at a Boogeyman.

Inspiration
[spoiler]"You know everybody's scared,
Everybody better beware
Scared of spiders, scared of rats,
Scared of being crossed by cats
Scared of everything that moves,
Scared of things with cloven hooves

I ain't scared, live my life alright
I ain't scared to stand and fight
I ain't scared, 'cos I believe
Ain't scared, to wear my heart on my sleeve
Ain't scared to show my hand
But I'm scared of the boogeyman."
[/spoiler]

More to come later...

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »
The Astrid's Parlor board had a very long thread entitled Woman In The Refridgerator.
Of course it got locked, and shortly after I showed up. The idea was scary movie plots, adapted to D&D.

Warforged
PAO into a Refridgerator body, that walks.
The door opens and closes as a Free Action 1/round, and isn't of any effect in Combat.
Imbedded Component of a level 1 Visual Illusion item - cheap.

The door opens to a fake picture of a Woman In The Refridgerator .... then it closes.
The door opens to a fake picture of Bambi As Road Kill .......................... then it closes.
The door opens to a fake picture of Hello Far Realms Kitty ..................... then it closes.

Probably needs Telepathy or Detect Thoughts modified to detect surface fears.
Doable around level 3 or 4.
Could easily have some of Caedrus' Fear thread thrown in.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:08 PM »
I'll flesh it out more later, but I'm making a boogie-man that eats children.

Beast of Xvim Shadow-Creature Primordial Giant Eneko Swordsage

(Alternatively, use just about any troll or half-troll)

It can blink into and out of your home, it hides well in the dark, it's hard to kill (fast healing and/or regeneration), it can disappear at will when parents come to show the scared kid that there is nothing in the closet or under the bed, it scares kids with its cackling (fear aura), and it grows stronger each time it eats someone.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 05:24:52 PM »
Come closer Kiddies ... I've got something for you to see !!

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 07:00:51 PM »
Lord Imhotep

Death is only the beginning.

Lord Imhotep CR 19
Male Venerable Swarm-Shifter (Sand) Dry Lich Human Cloistered Cleric 5/Walker in the Waste 10
LE Medium Undead
Init +0; Senses Listen +16, Spot +16
Languages Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Ignan, Infernal, Terran and Undercommon  
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17
(+0 armor, +0 shield, +0 Dexterity, +7 natural armor)
hp 185 (15 HD)
Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +19
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares), Fly 60ft. (Perfect Maneuverability, Swarm Movement)
Melee Desiccating Touch +8/+3 melee (+5d6 at Fort DC 28 & +1d6 Con damage at Fort DC 22; touch attack)
Base Atk +7; Grp +8
Spells Prepared (CL 13th)Domains Knowledge, Sand and Undeath
Abilities Str 13, Dex 10, Con --, Int 17, Wis 26 (+1 at 4th, 8th), Cha 20 (+1 at 12th)
SQ Lore (+7), Rebuke Undead (12/day; +2), (Desiccating Touch (5d6; Fort DC 28), The Wasting (1/day; 20ft. range; Reflex DC 28), Local Drought (20ft. radius), Withered Toughness, Pillar of Salt (1/day; Flesh to Sand at CL 10), Create Sand Golem, Create Salt Mummy, Greater Drought (100ft. radius), Aura of Despair (60ft. radius; Will DC 22), Constitution Drain (Fort DC 22; 1d6 Con damage & gain 5 temp. hit points), Fast Healing 2 (While in Arid Environments), Water Weakness, Swarm Attack (+3d6 & Wounding [1 hp]),
Resistances Damage Reduction 10/Bludgeoning & Magic, Turn Resistance (+6), Immunity to Dehydration, Heat, Polymorph, Mind-Affects, Poison, Sleep Effects, Paralysis, Stunning, Disease, Death Effects, Damage to Its Physical Ability Scores, Fatigue and Exhaustion effects, Any Effect that Requires a Fortitude Save (Unless the Effect Also Works on Objects or is Harmless), Death from Massive Damage, and Swarm Traits (Fine Size), .
Feats Extend Spell [Human], Dreadful Wrath [1st], Extra Turning [Undeath Domain], Heat Endurance [3rd], Improved Heat Endurance [Walker in the Waster], Persistent Spell [6th], Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell) [9th], Imperious Command [12th], Craft Wondrous Item [15th]
Skills Concentration +23, Decipher Script +13, Disguise +15 (to Pass as Sand), Hide +8, Intimidate +31, Knowledge (Arcane) +21, Knowledge (History) +11, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) +11, Knowledge (the Planes) +11, Move Silently +8 Search +11 and Spellcraft +23

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 11:30:09 AM »
Rules
Character Level: Any up to 20th level.
Abilities/Stats: 32-point buy, the usual.
Wealth: As appropriate by the level.

Is that CR 20 or ECL 20?
PC wealth by level or NPC wealth by level?
How should we treat point buy if we're using something like a Troll? (ties in with the CR vs. ECL question, I suppose)
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 03:06:17 PM »
if its by ECL, grab some non-associated class levels...  :smirk
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Raud, Lapinnoita
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
Image here:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Gust of wind from the south blows through the village in the far north. Faint laughter echoing from the mountains almost drowns under the sounds of people running inside away from the wind, but soon the voice of a thousand drums overwhelms the area along with the intensifying laughter deafening the lucky ones soon, but driving the rest to the brink of insanity... Raud the Lapinnoita, Witch of Lapland, the last of her kind had moved through the village leaving naught but calamity and death in her wake. What more was there now than to tend to the victims?

The used to be a number of creatures known as Lapinnoita, but Raud is the last of them. Their kind were shamans and sages who lived (or still live?) in Lapland, the northernmost part of Finland. They kept contact to the spirits of the dead, traveled either as a thought, bird or gust of wind, visited the spirit plane and caused curses on anyone who came close. A short look from a Lapinnoita was often enough to make even the bravest man freeze in panic or even died of fear. Usually a Lapinnoita was a potent mage, often teaching the most promising mages of the south, but corrupting them in the process. The presence of a Lapinnoita was numbingly cold and could even freeze people to death.

Raud the Lapinnoita
Middle-aged Wereowl (Afflicted) Unseelie Fey Human Bard 2/Binder 4/Ur-Priest 2/Anima Mage 10

Medium Fey
Hit Dice: 7d8+2d6+11d4+80 (146)
Initiative: +14 (+5 dexterity, +5 insight, +2 unnamed, +2 vestigial awareness, +2 belt of battle)
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 29 Touch: 26 Flat-footed: 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+10
Attack: Shortbow +16 ranged (1d6+1)
Full Attack: Shortbow +16/+11 ranged (1d6+1)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Qualities and class features: Bardic lore (1d20+8 ), Bardic music, Damage reduction 15/cold iron, Damage reduction 5/silver (in animal or hybrid form) Exploit vestige, Fascinate Pact augmentation (1 ability), Rebuke undead (9/day) Spellbreaker song, Soul binding (EBL 16) Suppress sign, Vestige metamagic (3/day), Vestigial casting, Winter's chill
Saves: FORT 11  REFL 12 WILL 30
Abilities: STR 10 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 18 WIS 32 CHA 22
Skills: Bluff 18, Concentration 15, Diplomacy 27, Intimidate 31, Knowledge (arcana) 24, Knowledge (history) 19, Knowledge (nature) 19, Knowledge (religion) 24, Knowledge (the planes) 24, Perform (drum) 13 Sense motive 23, Spellcraft 12 and Never outnumbered and Collector of stories skill tricks
Feats: Extend spell, Frozen magic, Imperious command, Improved binding, Iron will (B), Knowledge devotion, Master of poisons, Persistent spell, Piercing cold, Poison spell, Spell focus (Evil)
Flaws: Noncombatant, Vulnerable
Environment: The snowy mountains of Finland
Organization: Solitary (unique)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Languages Spoken: Common, Saame

Possessions: +6 ability boosters to charisma, dexterity, constitution, intelligence and wisdom, +3 tome to wisdom, +1 eager warning gauntlets, +1 splitting composite shortbow (with a high, high STR bonus), dozens of +1 spell storing arrows, monk's belt, masterwork drum, +10 competence bonus item to intimidate, belt of battle. Toss in whatever normal Clerics use: prayer beads, metamagic rods and so forth. Masterwork tools for all the skills I put ranks in and a variety of poisons are great for the fluff.

Spells prepared: 6/8/8/7/6/6/6/5/3/2.

Vestiges: Dantalion, Chupoclops, Haures. The EBL of the character is 16 so 7th level vestiges are available. Astaroth is mighty handy for cheating the WBL curve.

Numbers crunching and mechanical aspects: A Lapinnoita is a horrendous creature of the northern tundras. They act as shamans and are known for their ability to invoke create pain and anguish in those who are around them. They are also associated with storms and destruction of crops. Anguish is brought in to the game with the decent intimidation abilities, the piercing cold of Winter's chill and Chupoclops' Aura of sadness. The pain aspect is achieved with Spell storing arrows packed with Contagion and, of course, Poison spell is utilised here. This strategy is also thematically appropriate seeing how the pain-causing causing curse is called noidannuoli which translates to witch's arrow.

According to the legends a Lapinnoita travels like the wind or mere thought. It so happens that Dantalion offers an ability called Thought travel and with Haures a Lapinnoita can become essentially ethereal when moving. They also keep contacts to spirits and often join their world in meditation. How appropriate are vestiges and Astral projection here? The last method of travel commonly associated with the lapinnoita myth is becoming a bird and flying. Owl is a very Finnish bird and Druid levels were not thematically appropriate, so I used this option instead. Not the worst choice, right?

This Lapinnoita can also work as a sage without problems. Dantalion provides hefty bonuses to Knowledge checks and Lore ability can be acquired with other vestiges if the Bardic version (1d20+8 is not much) is not enough. All the divination spells from the Cleric spell list are also available and Miracle is, once again, an extremely helpful tool. The reason for the levels of Bard was not alone to get the skills and lore but to make sure that the musical aspect of Finnish shamans and sages is there. Finnish shamans usually carried a drum they played in their performances.

In short, the build has everything needed to make the Halloween of its opponents living hell. With disease, poison, demoralisation and all the other penalties make sure no-one gets away without punishment if they ever get close to the elusive witch, who can stop foes with a mere glance. A few persistent spells (six if you extend them too) can give this bad girl anything Miracle can reach and that is saying a lot. Superior resistance and Conviction keep the saves up and with full casting acquiring defenses is hardly a tough feat. Level adjustment buy off was used, hope that's alright.

A little summary of the abilities here:
-Able to cause her curses called witch's arrow in the form of disease transmitted by Contagion spell in a spell storing arrow. If possible, use Poison spell on the arrow for extra fun.
-Thought travel and transforming into a bird are right there with Dantalion vestige and lycanthrope template.
-Numbing cold achieved with Unseelie fey's Winter's Chill. This is enhanced with Aura of Sadness from Chupoclops.
-Wind travel is somewhat emulated with Ethereal movement of Dantalion's. Stormrage is a good possibility for a persistent spell here.
-Casting achieved with Ur-Priest.
-Sage role filled with Bardic abilities, divinations and Knowledge skills.
-Freezing people with a glance comes from Awe of Dantalion.
-Drumming actually gives something useful with Bard levels.
-Intimidation is a decent option if you have to be close to someone.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:18:02 PM by Tshern »

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
May I suggest that the winner get a date with Meg?  :D
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 05:10:42 PM »
The lycanthrope template requires the base animal and base creature to be within one size category. 

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
The lycanthrope template requires the base animal and base creature to be within one size category. 

advance an owl to 2HD and it becomes small.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
Truly? Heck, I totally missed that! I will rectify the error by removing a level of Frost Mage and replacing it with animal HD.

Handy Links

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 07:08:52 PM »
Well, here is my entry, but he's just using standard Troll stats without advancement and has no equipment yet.  He's also missing 2 feats yet.  He's CR 9, but ECL 15 (approximate - Beast of Xvim doesn't have an LA, so I treated the +1 CR as +1 LA).  He likes to sneak into people's homes and eat their children at night.  Yummy yummy children.

CR 9
Male Beast of Xvim Shadow Creature Primordial Giant Troll Swordsage 2
NE Large Giant
Init +3; Senses Listen +9, Spot +9,  Darkvision 60 ft., Low-Light Vision
Languages Giant  
AC 18, touch 11, flat-footed 16
(+2 armor, +0 shield, +2 Dexterity, +5 Natural, -1 Size)
hp 85 (9 HD) DR 10/Silver, Resist Cold 14, [Resist Fire 5 (Flame's Blessing)]
Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +6
Speed 45 ft. (9 squares)
Melee Large Short Sword +10/+5 melee (1d8+6, 19-20/x2), and Claw +7 melee (1d8+2), and Bite +7 melee (1d8+2), OR
2 Claws +9 melee (1d8+4), and Bite +7 melee (1d8+2)
Ranged Large Longbow +7 ranged (2d6, x3)
Base Atk +6; Grp +14
Spell-Like Abilities  At will - Invisibility (CL 8), 1/day - Plane Shift (Plane of Shadow only, CL 16)
Attack OptionsManeuvers Wolf Fang Strike, Cloak of Deception, Shadow Blade Technique, Shadow Jaunt, Drain Vitality, Flashing Sun, Fan the Flames
StancesAbilities Str 19, Dex 14, Con 21, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 10
SQ  Fast Healing 2, Feed, Frightful Presence (Will DC 14, 5d6 rounds), Regeneration 5, Scent, Shadow Blend.
Resistances Damage Reduction 10/Silver, Immune to Fear and Poison, Resist Cold 14.
Feats Multiattack, ?, ?, Shadow Blade, Weapon Focus (Short Sword [Shadow Hand weapons])
Skills Hide +0, Listen +9, Move Silently +10, Spellcraft +2*, Spot +9, Tumble +6, Use Magic Device +3
*Currently Untrained

Frightful Presence Activated when Jak makes a loud sound, such as a growl.  All creatures within 30 feet with 8 or fewer HD must make a DC 14 Will save of become frightened for 5d6 rounds.

Feedwish, miracle, or true resurrection spell can restore a devoured victim to life, but there is a 50% chance that even such powerful magic will fail.

Regeneration Fire and Acid deal normal damage to Jak.  Regeneration and Fast healing stack to effectively give Jak Regeneration 7 until no damage remains except for acid and fire damage, at which point the Regeneration stops and the acid and fire damage are healed by his Fast Healing.

Shadow Blend In any conditions other than full daylight, Jak can disappear into the shadows, giving him total concealment.  Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
Way to go ksbsnowowl!

Handy Links

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 12:25:52 AM »
Way to go ksbsnowowl!
You liked that, aye?  If this competition ends up being based on CR, his CR only goes up by 1 for every four giant HD he gains through eating children...  So his attack bonus and HP's could get quite large fairly quickly.  Right now I think he's a decent CR 9 creature, but he'd be a better CR 10 creature with 4 more HD (who could frighten folk with 12 or fewer HD).

He'll also be better if I upgrade him with 32 point buy and more equipment than mundane armor and a short sword.