Author Topic: "Recuiting" an army (if on Mythweavers, do not read)  (Read 5166 times)

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
Re: "Recuiting" an army (if on Mythweavers, do not read)
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 01:34:43 PM »
Well, you can summon a Celestial Unicorn Cleric 7 with a Summon Nature's Ally spell...
Yeah, but that's still (summon) and not (calling)... Summon Nature's Ally doesn't leave behind a usable corpse.

Even with BoED allowing for calling advanced HD or leveled outsiders, I think as a DM I'd require that you know of the target you want to conjure up... perhaps some research, gather information, or calling a bunch of average outsider HD targets and interrogating them?

I also disagree with K's take on rebuking, but the rest is mostly golden IMHO.

I like spellstitched Revive Undead, but I prefer it on a *very* loyal minion (one that could use it on me in an emergency).

Spellstitching is very much like magic item creation IMO (note that it requires Craft Wondous Item)... as such, I allow the character doing the stitching to benefit from others helping out; much like with normal item creation.  (YMMV)

Also, you don't have to be the one crafting the spellstitching on your own body... Hire an NPC to do it for you.  This way you get access to spells you don't normally know.  Also, if you are rolling in the gold, pay the NPC to use his own XP (at 5gp per XP).

Finally, spellstitching *must* be done by a wiz/sor.  This may imply that the spells should be Arcane... but the actual restriction is that they must be from the conj, evo, or necro schools.  If your DM buys into treating it like magic item creation, feel free to invite a cleric along for the crafting and check out the Divine spells from those schools.

Minor Note:  The HoH version of Plague of Undead requires Black Sapphires   ;)

About recruiting leveled minions... I'd think it would be next to impossible to find the perfectly optimized 20th level NPC that has the exact mix of a few base classes and a half a dozen prestige classes that you are looking for.  However, the opposite end of the spectrum should be much, much easier.  Finding folks with one level in a base class that you want might not be that hard depending upon your DM.  Retraining Feats or Psychic Reformation could tweak them a little.

If that is the case, then you might benefit from the Compilation of Low Level Builds thread: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1444.0

I had a funny write-up somewhere using a skeleton dire elephant with a stronghold space built into the ribcage.  Stuff it chock-full of necropolitans.  It would contain mostly level 1 Dread Necromancers to constantly heal it every turn.  A few arrow-slits would allow for ranged attacks from a mix of level 1 Incarnum weilders using Dissolving Spittle or level 1 wiz/sorc with Precocious Apprentice and Fiery Burst feats.

I'd be willing to share more if anyone wanted to help me refine the idea...

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
Pfft, rather put a few undead Arrow Demons in your "tank". :).

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
Oh, loves me some Arrow Demons myself.

While I love the imagery, and I would certainly love to have a squad or two of these kicking around, there's a few reasons why I'd prefer to leave them out of Dumbo.

1. Undead BAB sucks... while Arrow Demons have a decent dex, I'd rather a mix of Ranged-Touch and AoE.

2. Ammunition... granted, Awaken Undead could get them Crafting skills, but true unlimited ammo comes at a steep price (quiver of anariel).

3. Total HD... A 20-HD skeleton crammed full of 9 to 18 (two-to-a-square, and taking the penalty from occupying the same square as an ally), 1-HD skeletons allows for you to control more HD outside of Dumbo.

4. Damage Type... probably not as important as the previous reasons, but Acid and Fire don't suffer the same DR concerns as an archer.  Targets with those elemental resistances still have to deal with the elephant's trample and gore attacks.

The ranged attacks are just for close-range defense and to help deter attackers.  I see the main fun from trampling the heck out of tons of folks, or from standing toe-to-toe with a particulary tough nut to crack and quickly healing from the damage it will likely draw.

I was toying with the idea of having a Howdah atop Dumbo... Initially, I was thinking of some type of Ballista to provide a way to deal damage at range.  I could see plopping a couple Arrow Demons there...

I think one of the advantages of having only a few arrow-slits was that the improved cover would provide plenty of protection allowing for weaker HD creatures inside to survive longer than they normally would.  A Howdah would probably offer less protection, and having a more durable minion there would be beneficial.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 11:25:15 PM »
Any minion I animate is going to be pretty durable (roughly equivalent to a D12 HD with a Con score of 32-34 in hp)  It's also going to be a bit faster than normal (Nimble Bones can be pretty useful IMHO, since both bonuses are unnamed).

I've already asked the DM about her stance on creating the variant skeletons and zombies in Libris Mortis, and I'm waiting on a reply.  If she says yes, I will have a lot more options available.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Okay, new information.

1. I miscalculated my Plague of Undead pool.  It should be 1186 HD controlled.  This is, of course, a good thing as it means I can be even less picky with my animation choices.

2. I now have class builds for each of my henchmen.

First, there is the Human Ex-Cleric 5/Ur-Priest 10 who worships my character as a god.  This means I can pull any non-domain cleric spell when I need it (so long as she has prep time).

Second I have a Human Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 8/Fate Spinner 4.  Again, this allows me great access to Wizard spells when I need them.

My other two henchmen at this point are more of a martial bent.  One is a Human Necropolitan Swashbuckler 1/LT Barbarian 1/Warblade 1/Fighter 4/Disciple of Dispater 8/Swordsage 2 focusing on criticals (yes, Roundabout Kick and Lightening Mace + aptitude kurkris) and aiming for Eviscerator.  The other is a Spellwarped Human Ranger 10 Fighter 4, focused on anti-mage tactics.

The Necropolitan multiclass nightmare I plan on lending my +6 Periapt of Wisdom, Spellstitching (Revive Undead for the 6th level ability), and taking back my periapt so he has the ability to bring me back if something goes wrong.  He's loyal without magic, so I won't lose him if I die.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 10:33:48 PM »
I didn't read the thread.

Have you considered one massive zombie?

SwordDisciple

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 10:55:56 PM »
Are you playing as the henchmen too?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 11:35:50 PM »
The Henchmen are other players.

The problem with one massive undead is that I am still limited to 84 HD animated in one casting of Plague of Undead, and unless I get a Dragon corpse, I'm stuck with 10HD critters for zombies, 20HD for skellies.  I'll have a few big ones (even if I have to go on a dragon hunt), but I won't have absolutely massive minions.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]