Author Topic: Looking for a Bard build  (Read 3272 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Looking for a Bard build
« on: September 30, 2009, 11:29:39 PM »
Focusing on Bardic Music and Spells, sort of.

I want to make a bard/sublime chord, with some virtuoso mixed in for good measure. Something like Bard 5/Virtuoso 2/X3/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8, with Virtuoso adding levels to sublime chord. But, I need something to fill X with. Advice?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

HCL

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Re: Looking for a Bard build
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:54:06 PM »
Lyric thaumaturge for some bonus spells, or sandshaper

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »
how complex do you want to get?

I'd probably keep it simple -- bard 9/ virtuoso 1/sublime chord 2/ virtuoso 2-9.  this gets you inspire greatness; and gets you everything but revealing melody (that's what the spell is for -- and permanency can be used on it).

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:53:32 AM »
I have a Bard character Just Like this.  The build I settled on is Bard 6 Lyric Thurmaturge 3 Virtuoso 1 Sublime Chord 2 Virtuoso 8. 

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 02:17:58 AM »
What do ya'll think of Mindbender 1 instead of Lyric Thaumaturge 3? It's a spell secret vs. 100' telepathy, but it also means I can do...

Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Lyric Thaumaturge 2/Virtuoso 2/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8.

And, if the bonus 1st/2nd level spell is worth it, I could even drop the true seeing aura, and have Bard 5/Mindbender 1/Lyric Thaumaturge 3/Virtuoso 1/Sub. C. 2/Virtuoso 8.

Alternately, I could even find a way to sneak some Divine Oracle into there, or something, but that is pushing it.

Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 06:39:13 AM »
Half-Elf Bard 4/Marshal 1/Virtuoso 5/Sublime Chord 2/Mindbender 1/IotSV 7

Start off as a diplomancer, take the rest in whatever order suits you. Use Jarring Song to inhibit casters (now with a ridiculous DC thanks to marshal), throw up veils as needed.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
They all need a level in Crusader. Just so they can nab Song of the White Raven(ToB)  :)

Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 03:57:37 AM »
Dredging this thing from the depths:

Eberron is allowed. Thus, song of the heart.

I would like tsome recommendations for feats, other than Lyric Spell, Subsonics and Versatile Performer. I currently have OBscure Lore, Melodic Casting (For Lyric Thau) and Song of the Heart.

Keep in mind that this build is currently focusing on music, especially Inspire Courage/Greatness, with acheiving 9th level spells as a secondary, but important goal.

Currently, I'm looking at Bard 6/Lyric Thau 3/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 8.

I'd also like spells recommended. I'd like to know where Scholar's Touch is from.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:35:25 AM by Generic_PC »

wackodraco

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 05:24:33 AM »
If DM allows and you're good alignment, Words of Creation is AWESOME for Bards; use it to buff your bardic music in addition to Conjuration [Creation] spells(Glitterdust, Grease, Heroes' Feast, Phantom Steed to name a few).
Probably buy a magical tool (insturment) to increase perform checks. If your DM allows, see if you can get a magical volume knob on it that lets you adjust how loud it is, and thus how many allies can hear you.
"Go. Hunt. Kill illithids."