Author Topic: Build your namesake  (Read 24878 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Build your namesake
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2009, 12:35:36 PM »
Alastar

Human
Lvl 7 Domain Wizard/Lvl 10 Loremaster/Lvl 3 Archmage

First wizard I ever played.  Don't feel like stating out the whole thing right now, but will give some things.

Had a heavy focus on enchantment and evocation spells (i know i know...)

Lore secrets:  +2 to all saves and bonus spells

Archmage secrets:  Reach for touch spells, mastery of elements, mastery of shaping

Story: Alastar was the famous apprentice of Neron Stratus, Archwizard of Beorn Quickbeam,  the Tyrant of Chondath.  When Beorn started to lose his mind in an attempt to gather even more power, Neron decided to separate himself from the mad tyrant and start teaching more.  That is where he met alastar.

The youth was highly intelligent but lacked refinement, he was loud, dirty mouthed, and kept speaking in slang.  Several years later, he had become a very powerful wizard under his master's tutelage.  He then had an encounter with a very mean vampire who drained him of all his levels before letting him go free (it was decided those levels could not be restored, because that is when I started playing the character, and we were level 1, the rest of the story were other characters, and Alastar was originally an NPC)

A very bitter Alastar then met up with Deltis, son of Ajantis, the paladin of Torm who was first a friend of Beorn, and then became his worst ennemy.  The two along with Deltis's bodyguard, the protector, than set up on various adventures, eventually being knighted by Setarmon, king of Chessenta, and entering the nobility. In these times, the protector was unfortunately killed.  When the crusades of the Triad were called to take back Tantras from the hands of the devouts of Baine, Alastar Deltis and their companions, a sorcerer and a knight of Bahamut who came from Cormyr, and Karshak, a shady character who was the illegitimate son of Beorn, from one of his many mistresses (this time a high priestess of Shar).  The crusades were a success due in large part to Alastar's, now an archmage, potent magic and devastating military strategies.

After a slight with Karshak turned into a blood feud, the two retreated, Alastar in a fortress of his own build, Karshak in his underground lair in Zentil Keep.  Ever since, the two have built layers upon layers of defenses, both magical and mechanical, in case the other comes for them.  They have lived in relative safety ever since.

Annnd now you know.  The character was loads of fun to play.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
Hmm, this is a tough one. There are different ways to interpret it. Either something that is also something else, or a combination of roles which overlap to create an amalgamous whole; Alternatively, anything technical could work. However, the one thing that seems to fit most appropriately would be:

Factotum 20

There are other more fun builds to represent the concept of a venn diagram, but I'm at the airport right now and more than a little AFB.

Chameleon comes to mind too.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 02:30:37 PM »
Nanshork, that's easy!

Nanshork Caltrop, my 2nd Edition Athasian Halfling Rogue/ Wizard.  I can dig out my character sheet and post if here if you guys want, I'm sure he's around somewhere.   :p
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
I don't think I can participate in this thread since, as far as I can remember, intelligent items don't have levels (Kuroimaken literally means Black Demonic Sword). If I'm wrong, it's probably something with a bazillion ego...
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2009, 02:45:30 PM »
I don't think I can participate in this thread since, as far as I can remember, intelligent items don't have levels (Kuroimaken literally means Black Demonic Sword). If I'm wrong, it's probably something with a bazillion ego...
Sandwitch Psion?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »
Factotum 8/Warblade 12.

That's me, on a personal level. If I actually bothered getting off my lazy ass, I could live up to the claim.

For my actual handle, probably either Warlock 9/Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3/Legacy Champion4/Uncanny Trickster 3 or a Desert Wind-focused Swordsage, odd as the latter one would be.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »
I would have guessed PlzBreakMyCampaign would be a level 1 loredrake dragonwrought kobald :?[/quote]I'm surprised no one cared when I mentioned the most broken build non-ascending (or close) build I had ever created (or seen) :(

But no, I made a MAXED +1sorc casting build and it was not that far ahead of fast casters :)
I'll post the build here. Also I only bother with the idea upon getting the Bestiary of Kyrnn (which says that it is an official WotC book):
[spoiler]Venerable Desert Kobold [small, -4Str +2Dex +1Wis +3int +3cha, Fav Rogue, +4fort for heat, +2Surv,craft(trap),&search, auto drac, bon com&und] with the Variant Kobold Racial Traits for the slight (tiny) build
    He starts with the Dragonspawn(white) acquired template giving +1sorcerer casting, +7nat, +2con, +2dex, 60'fly average, a bite, 2 claws, a 2d6 cone of cold breath weapon, and a temporary monstrous humanoid type (this is below dragon on the type pyramid).
   at level 1 he the takes Sorcerer 1, the Dragonwrought feat (RotD 100) giving the dragon type from monstrous humanoid, lowlight vision, and 60'darkvision, and then the Loredrake Sovereign Archetype which lowers his non-existent racial HD to d10s and he loses his non-existent cleric casting in exchange for +2sorcerer casting, 1d6cold death throes
   Don't forget the cost of his familiar (100gp), the Draconic Rite of Passage (RotD 43) (100gp), and the greater Draconic Rite of Passage (1000) and the total of 4 hp the rituals subtract
   at level 3 he takes the Draconic Reservoir feat and uses the LA Buyoff to have a normal ECL
   sometime after that but before 6 he will take the acquired Abomination Dragonspawn template for 1 LA, giving (since the kobold base creature is not listed it gains an additional table roll in lieu of the Race Specific Mutation) +0 to +6sorcerer casting. The three rolls could all land 96-100 which then double into 6 rolls that could all manage an 86-90. Yes I understand that the upper limit is a 1/3600 chance.
   at level 6 he completes the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage for +1sorcerer casting and if another LA1 template is taken before this level the Abomination dragonspawn LA can be bought off now.

This means that at ECL8 after the buyoff but before getting all the way to level 9 we could have 8 regular levels of sorcerer + up to 10 effective increases for any 9th level sorcerer spell casting.

This build could be interesting in the ECL8 variant of E6 if you had a DM who was forgiving on the LA buyoff[/spoiler]

Of course that illithid savant build could that the above and more, just later
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 05:22:47 PM by PlzBreakMyCampaign »
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2009, 04:28:27 PM »
Hmmm... This one is going to be a hard one for me since I have almost no experience with bards and none at all with bard tanks. Anyone got any suggestions for a bard tank with leadership (note all followers/cohort need to be focused on music)?

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »
Hmmm... This one is going to be a hard one for me since I have almost no experience with bards and none at all with bard tanks. Anyone got any suggestions for a bard tank with leadership (note all followers/cohort need to be focused on music)?
Factotum 1/Bard 9/Warrior Skaald 10?  Snowflake Wardance and Ice Harmonics from Frostburn keep the Skaald flavor.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »
Factotum 1/Bard 9/Warrior Skaald 10?  Snowflake Wardance and Ice Harmonics from Frostburn keep the Skaald flavor.
Thanks man. If you're wondering why I wanted that, Bastian is bastion misspelled and it is also short for Sebastian as in Johann Sebastian Bach.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
I would have guessed PlzBreakMyCampaign would be a level 1 loredrake dragonwrought kobald :?
Yes and you forgot Dragonspawn Abomination
What about adding undead and gaining the Evolved template then buying it off at each level as many times as you can?

I hear the ghost savage progression template is pretty good too...
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Optimator

• Bi-Curious George
  • Made Man
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2009, 07:35:46 PM »
Hmm... Well, I am named after a beer (7/8 the beer, 1/8 Optimus Prime). 

I guess I'll go with Warforged Bard 9 / Seeker of the Song 2 / Bard +9.  Go for Words of Creation and all the other song boosters (Song of the Heart, Badge of Valor, Inspirational Boost) and learn lots of buff spells.  Proceed to optimate the party.

That or something like Monk 1 / Unarmed Swordsage 4 / then alternate Drunken Master and Swordsage levels.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
Sandwitch Psion?

I'm so lazy with Psionics... Can you help me out on that one?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 07:44:39 PM »
Sandwitch Psion?

It is an amusing way to use mindswitch, basically you turn an inanimate object animate with polymorph any object and then mindswitch into it and then switch back, making you effectively an intelligent item. Similar results can be obtained with haunt shift as well.

For me I would probably be a psion/anarchic initiate.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »

I would have guessed Havoc Mage.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
Sandwitch Psion?

It is an amusing way to use mindswitch, basically you turn an inanimate object animate with polymorph any object and then mindswitch into it and then switch back, making you effectively an intelligent item. Similar results can be obtained with haunt shift as well.

I know what the trick entails, actually. I'm just lazy at building Psionics. Less bookkeeping than Wizards or Clerics, I know, but the psionics rules really annoy me.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:35 AM »
Fiends of Possession can possess objects and make them move of their own accord...

Snow owl.... Probably a cold-themed Druid 20 or some-such.

Or a spirit shaman heading into moonspeaker guardian or something else that grants wildshape.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:13 AM »
My handle was the first name I ever came up with back on irc. At the time, I had joined an ffrp (free form role play) channel and my character was a 400 year old mage slowly suffering from memory loss. I fell into the trope of writing every part of his background as a terrible tragedy (for all our sakes I'm not going to link to tvtrops), but he was still a pretty well developed character. After nearly a year of playing the character and his degrading mental state, some of the players actually asked me to retire him because he reminded them too much of their own family members suffering from Alzheimer's.

As for myself, I'm a shortish nerdy looking guy working on his PhD in mechanical engineering, with performance level piano and dance background, and I'm a math teacher. I think my closest approximation would probably be a gnomish bard/artificer progressed with a houseruled Ultimate Magus.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2009, 03:14:06 PM »
So post a Legacy sword that becomes intelligent.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Khorus

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • TPK FTW!
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2009, 03:59:47 PM »
Fighter / Sorcerer / Spellsword

With the biggest 2 handed weapon you could find. I like magic and platemail so Spellsword. Not optimized but this would be what I'd most likely be.

Name was used for a Soul Caliber char I made using the Iron Sword. Basically killed anything in 2 hits and regen'd all his life. To beat me was to avoid the soul edge until I bled out.