Author Topic: Frenzied Warblade?  (Read 2635 times)

Levithix

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Frenzied Warblade?
« on: September 14, 2009, 03:26:52 AM »
I'm thinking about making a Frenzied Berserker and couldn't figure out if I give him some levels in warblade if he'd be able to use maneuvers during a frenzy, or if they'd be a good option to have outside of frenzy. I know that it isn't stated either way with RAW, so I'm just asking opinions here.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Frenzied Warblade?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:35:48 AM »
I'm thinking about making a Frenzied Berserker and couldn't figure out if I give him some levels in warblade if he'd be able to use maneuvers during a frenzy, or if they'd be a good option to have outside of frenzy. I know that it isn't stated either way with RAW, so I'm just asking opinions here.

RAW, as long as the maneuver does not require an Int, Wis, Cha, or Dex-based skill check, it can be used.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:33:21 AM »
RAW, as long as the maneuver does not require an Int, Wis, Cha, or Dex-based skill check, it can be used.

IIRC Wis based is okay... it's just Cha, Int, and Dex.  Also, I believe concentration based checks still can't be used, but I'm not sure.

JaronK

sir_argenon

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »
actually for FB 1 1-lvl dip into warblade is a great thing you can do for your build. just make sure you have an IL of at least 5 when you dip, so you can take iron heart surge, just in case the frenzy goes bad. its the only sure-fire way i know to break it, besides a huge will save mod.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 12:02:12 PM »
If you can use concentration, moment of perfect mind can also help :)

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:35 PM »
I generally shoot for Steadfast Determination in any given barbarian build. 1 will save per combat is not as good as all will saves ever. Steadfast determination can increase your will save by +8 or more over a barbarian without it.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:14:52 PM »
IIRC Wis based is okay... it's just Cha, Int, and Dex.  Also, I believe concentration based checks still can't be used, but I'm not sure.
Yeah, you cannot use the concentration skill while frenzying. IHS or Steadfast Determination is a great way to end frenzy. Most of the maneuvers will work fine with rage/frenzy, in fact picking up some levels in the ToB classes helps support an ubercharger when they don't have charging options. Sudden Leap ftw.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:13:53 PM »
Yeah, you cannot use the concentration skill while frenzying. IHS or Steadfast Determination is a great way to end frenzy. Most of the maneuvers will work fine with rage/frenzy, in fact picking up some levels in the ToB classes helps support an ubercharger when they don't have charging options. Sudden Leap ftw.
I've found several dm's who won't let me use IHS to stop a frenzy... I'd check that first.
Something about the "To the best of your ability includes being in a rage so yo uwouldn' try to stop raging."

I do know that cumberous will is a sure fire way to stop it 100% of the time but yeah It does give you an awseome amount of other usefuls stuff, Emerald razor for instance...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 06:55:55 AM »
Throw back the comment IHS is the best combat choice to fight yourself.
You are killing your impulse to stab everything in sight, it counts.

Rule dickery is just not limited to DMs and superman you know ;)

Edit
"The hardest fight comes from the opponent within" -Garry Wasson
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »

Something about the "To the best of your ability includes being in a rage so yo uwouldn' try to stop raging."

By that same logic you cannot attempt the will save to stop the frenzy. Which makes that whole mechanism useless.