Author Topic: Randomish optimization question.  (Read 3854 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Randomish optimization question.
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
If you had Boots of the Battle Charger (charge as a standard action, but only up to a single move), and Pounce (full attack on a charge) does that mean you could full attack and move?

If you also had spring attack, could you charge, pounce, and keep moving as part of the same action?

*ponders possibilities*
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Randomish optimization question.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 03:55:55 PM »

Yes to A I think. You make a standard action using your boots & move > when you attack at the end of the charge pounce triggers.

No to B IIRC. Your not charging, your using Spring Attacks special move option.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
Straw_Man is right. Option B doesn't work, as Spring Attack only works when you take the "Attack Action" which means no activating Boots, no charging as a standard action, etc. Still, Charging as a standard action. Moving back to set up a charge for next round, etc. Gets pretty nice.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:24:12 PM »
Full attack as a standard action...nasty....
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 11:15:59 PM »
If you activate a belt of battle right then too you'ld get two full attacks(maybe squeack out 3 if your a warblade and use time stand still, and 4 if you don't move and are an eternal blade) and a move action, but would the second full attack recieve the charge bonus.

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 02:05:12 AM »
If you activated it AFTER you charged, then yes.  charge bonuses last trhoug ha round.
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »
If you activated it AFTER you charged, then yes.  charge bonuses last trhoug ha round.

Are you drunk? ;)

Basically I was imagining a scene where someone runs at the enemies, attacks in a flurry of death, then keeps going without stopping to leave them to bleed and suffer and die. ^.^

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 03:28:06 PM »

Charge PENALTIES last through the round (until your next action).  The charge BONUS only applies to your first attack.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 11:26:37 PM »

Are you drunk? ;)

Basically I was imagining a scene where someone runs at the enemies, attacks in a flurry of death, then keeps going without stopping to leave them to bleed and suffer and die. ^.^

Look at Tsuyo's icon and then answer that question  :)
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:28:38 PM »
??? I don't get it.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »
Note that, although Spring Attack doesn't work, Flyby Attack does. You still provoke, but if you kill the guy with the full attack, it doesn't matter.
I know gameology-fu.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 12:11:23 AM »
So wait, given that we have a Factotum with a fly speed, Boots of Battle Charger, Pounce (Barb 1) and Flyby Attack, we're looking at upwards 4 full attacks a turn? Of course, it depends on the Factotum's exact maneuvrability and speed, but it still beats the snot out of Shadow Pouncing.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:15:11 AM »
So wait, given that we have a Factotum with a fly speed, Boots of Battle Charger, Pounce (Barb 1) and Flyby Attack, we're looking at upwards 4 full attacks a turn? Of course, it depends on the Factotum's exact maneuvrability and speed, but it still beats the snot out of Shadow Pouncing.

...I started something awesome didn't I? :P

Callix: Tumble on the way out?

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 02:58:53 AM »

How are you getting 4 attacks?  You fly by them, using a charge as your standard action, then taking another standard action from factotum and another from belt of battle.  I count 3 full attacks. 
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 04:18:46 AM »
You have Font of Inspiration a few times. A whole lot of Standard Actions. By level 9 (Barbarian 1/Factotum 8 ), you've got 5 base inspiration. Picking Flyby Attack costs you 1 feat, so you're left with 3 others (hopefully you find a way to get one more, such as Humanity, Flaws or trickery). All of those are Font of Inspirations (c'mon, you're a Factotum, you have AT LEAST 18 Int), giving you a bonus of 10 Inspiration. That gives you a total of 15 Inspiration, which means 5 extra Standard Actions for a total of 6 standard actions and thus 6 pouncing charges (of course you've got Haste cast - you can actually CAST it yourself, so no need for items).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 04:22:46 AM by Eldariel »

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
Sorry, I thought of a tangential question while reading this thread, and realize I may have been underplaying Pounce slightly this whole time...

When you pounce, do you get a Full Attack, or do you get 1 attack + a full attack?

Note the wording of pounce:

Pounce
When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow
Note the bolded bit.  After you make a charge (and all that is entails, including the single melee attack), you then follow it with a full attack.

Sure sounds like Full attack +1 attack to me.  I always thought it was just a full attack.

Has everyone else already noticed this, and I'm just slow to the game?

This does seem to limit the +2 charge bonus to the first attack, however.

You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

"The," ie - one.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
Sorry, I thought of a tangential question while reading this thread, and realize I may have been underplaying Pounce slightly this whole time...

When you pounce, do you get a Full Attack, or do you get 1 attack + a full attack?

Note the wording of pounce:

Pounce
When a creature with this special attack makes a charge, it can follow
Note the bolded bit.  After you make a charge (and all that is entails, including the single melee attack), you then follow it with a full attack.

Sure sounds like Full attack +1 attack to me.  I always thought it was just a full attack.

Has everyone else already noticed this, and I'm just slow to the game?

This does seem to limit the +2 charge bonus to the first attack, however.

You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

"The," ie - one.

I've always played it that way unless my GM cries.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »
I had never caught that before... +1 attacks for all my pounce builds.  :clap

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »
I didn't notice that until now either. Excellent find.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
There is an inconsistency between the way the description of pounce is written and the way it's often used.

Examples:
Pounce (Ex)
If a tayellah leaps upon a foe during the first round of combat, it can make a full attack even if it has already taken a move action.

Pounce (Ex)
If a weretiger in tiger form charges an opponent, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks. 

Pounce (Ex)
If a dragonne charges, it can make a full attack in the same round.

Pounce (Ex)
If a deinonychus charges, it can make a full attack.

So let's see why the use of pounce of inconsistent.
First of all, for a Tayellah, pounce seems to only apply to the first round of combat while still being called pounce while the other examples seem to have the same ability that's usable with any charge.
The entries for weretiger and the dinosaur are a bit vague although it seems very reasonable to most people I know that the one attack is subsumed into the allowed full attack.
Dragonne's wording with the comma and "in the same round" seems to separate the charge into the charge and a later, same round, full attack.

Overall, the RaW evidence seems to lean slightly towards attack followed by another full attack.

Now bringing in RaI, Applying some logic, having 6 seconds to attack someone should not allow LESS attacks than running at someone for 2-3 seconds and then attacking.  Sure running gives you momentum, but how can it possibly give you more attacks?

All the DMs I've had ruled with what I consider to be RaI and said that pounce only allows a single full attack at the end of the running part of the charge.
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286