Author Topic: Weapon Aptitude, the Warblade, and weapon-specific feats  (Read 13477 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Weapon Aptitude, the Warblade, and weapon-specific feats
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 02:18:13 AM »
I suppose, but I'd rule that without the Warblade ability allowing you to designate something specific, the specific overrides the general.  Thus, the general rule (you can designate a weapon) is overridden by the specific rule (Lightning Mace can only designate Light Maces).  If that makes sense.

Since Aptitude Weapons are phrased differently, they work fine.

JaronK

pithica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »
I've re-read it 4 times now, and I can't see how it can be read in a way other than, "If the feat only applies to a single weapon, you can choose a different weapon to apply to the feat."

But, that's just me. Since all the examples are things like Improved Critical, and Weapon Focus, and they didn't include anything like High Sword Low Axe or Lightning Mace, I could see how one would make the assumption that they intended for it to apply only to the feats that the player normally chooses weapon designation. But, at the same time, there aren't any feats like that in the PH anyway, and generally speaking, splatbooks only reference material from the PH in examples.

The fact that aptitude weapons are worded in a way where one could clearly take advantage of a feat Lightning Mace with a different weapon actually makes me more inclined to read Weapon Aptitude the way I'm reading it, since it's fairly obvious that 'Aptitude Weapons' are supposed to mimic 'Weapon Aptitude'.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 06:14:07 PM »
... tangent ...

Bayar - What happened to your Pun-pun ascension cartoon thingy, you used to have in your sig? Do you still have it?

Pretty please ...  :bigeye