Author Topic: Burning Wheel - characters of different ages  (Read 1151 times)

axleleft

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Burning Wheel - characters of different ages
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:55 AM »
Hi all -

Anyone have any experience on how well a Burning Wheel group of characters works out if some have less/more life paths than others? It seems like the starting ability mechanic being tied to age might balance out the lower/higher skill of a younger/older character (at least for a more physically focused character).

Thanks

Dan2

• Honorary Moderator
  • Hong Kong
  • Wizicist
Re: Burning Wheel - characters of different ages
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
Characters with more lifepaths seem to be more able to use the system.
Extra trait points for some characters are normally offset by those characters being lacking in something else.
Likewise for skills and resource points.  With more lifepaths, the drawbacks can be avoided.

That being said, I can't imagine it will have much effect on the game.  Having the best character is not what the game is about. 
The game isn't terribly concerned with fine-tuned balance (just look at the various races), so I wouldn't worry about it.
I haven't been able to test characters of varying lifepath numbers, but it doesn't look like it should be a problem.
Even then, it's only a problem if it becomes a problem.

Alea_Iacta_Est

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Unfortunate Writer
    • Laughing Jack Wilton
    • Email
Re: Burning Wheel - characters of different ages
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:17:51 AM »
I have done this, and it works quite well. As long as everyone at the table understands that it is not about winning and being the best. One of the players wanted to be a mighty knight with five lifepaths, the other a lowly squire with only two. The other characters had around four. The squire did beat the knight at many duels of wits, even though the knight's persuasion was higher.
I agree with Dan, it is only a problem if it becomes a problem. It doesn't work if people aren't having fun.
Seldom Affirm, Never Deny, Always Distinguish
My Gaming Blog, Reviews, and Design at: Laughing Jack Wilton
The Barely Legal Podcast: An AP Podcast From The Wednesday Night Gamers